BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Break in Period

I have seen some people mention the break-in period. I was looking at the manual and it mentioned keeping the car under 100 mph and 4000 RPM. I rarely exceed these parameters at any point ever. So why do people mention it? Am I just babying my cars. I\'m just driving like I normally do. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
obtix
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

I tell most people to drive like their grandmother (but don't hit things if she is anything like mine).

Don't give the car full throttle or try to race the kid at the traffic light next to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I have seen some people mention the break-in period. I was looking at the manual and it mentioned keeping the car under 100 mph and 4000 RPM. I rarely exceed these parameters at any point ever. So why do people mention it? Am I just babying my cars. I\'m just driving like I normally do. Thoughts?
Just drive it normallly and do as the Manual says. No need to "grandmother" it at all.
      12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
I rarely exceed these parameters at any point ever.
Remind me never to move to Wisconsin.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Funny you should ask because this quote was posted in another thread just yesterday.

Helm 108 got caught going 68 mph but people's first reactions when seeing speed traps are to slow down so he could have easily been going another 32 mph faster or close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm108 View Post
Picked up my new X3 today. 35i with the premium package, tech package, convenience package. Black leather interior with wave wood trim. The wood was all mucked up and the salesman noticed it before I did and told me they would replace those sections of the trim later.

The real story: I pick up the car, drive it home on what is a 45 minute drive. I have two options to get back home--one is a straight shot all the way and another road is less traveled by and has more curves.
And I... I chose the road less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.

I didnt see anyone else on the road. I have driven this road all my life and have never seen a cop on it but maybe twice. Born to Be Wild was on the radio... I couldn\'t resist.
I shifted the car into sport mode and poured into all the curves, my grin growing wider and wider. I won\'t state here how fast I got, but I will tell you what the NC State Trooper said he caught me going 68 mph. When he said that number I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
He asked for my license and registration
\"Sir, I don\'t have registration I literally bought this car an hour ago and this is my first time driving it.\"
He was really nice the whole time and admired the X3\'s interior. I thought to myself that there is no way that he is going to give me a ticket.
I reminded him again that this was my first time driving it and that I couldn\'t resist seeing what the car could do and how it handled. He took my license, went back to his car, and returned.
He told me he was on that road because someone had just hit a deer, and that I was lucky that I saw him and not a deer. I smiled, nodded, and agreed with everything he said and assured him that I would be more careful, still certain that he wouldn\'t give me a ticket.

And then he gave me my ticket. 68 in a 55. $218.

I knew I got a good deal on my X3. I didn\'t know I would be getting a blue light special to go along with it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Helm108
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3

Yep. I got close to 90 mph but not quite 90 as I never heard or saw any warning. I think I read in the manual that you will hear a warning chime if you exceed 90 mph.

I'm thankful that those breaks slowed me down quickly enough to avoid a major fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
That's a really strange question that I have a hard time understanding, unless you're about 80 years old.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
That's a really strange question that I have a hard time understanding, unless you're about 80 years old.
Love it.
Off to Egypt Today. Merry Xmas to all.
      12-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

have fun john!

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0