BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

Is 40k too many miles for an X3?

I'm looking at a 2015 x3 35i with 40k miles. It's a CPO car and has tech, premium, HK, drivers assist, xline, and cold weather packages. I currently own a 2011 3 series but I still get nervous when reading about how expensive these cars are in their later years.

Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to drive this car to 140k without a transmission or engine work that requires the engine to be removed? I can DIY most things like OFH gaskets, brakes, and fluid changes. I'm not good enough to replace transmissions or timing chain components.

Is reliability and expense to maintain worse for BMWs than it was 6 years ago?
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 08:15 AM   #2
alpwhite46
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Mpkg

Engine removed? lol hell no...

I had an e46 with no issues at 220k, only major thing that was done was vanos and that was like 700 USD.

my X3 has 100,000 km on it , 2013, no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #3
sykr0n
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X3 x35i

For general BMW reliability, I had a new '14 BMW 228i (4-cyl Turbo) manual that I just returned in June since the lease ended and it was rock solid. I drove the car very hard. Not a single issue with the engine or transmission or interior or anything really, other than the clutch wearing out. I miss that car.

For the wifey, just got a CPO 2015 (LCI) X3 35i back in Feb with ~40K miles for around $34K. It is pretty much the same options as the one you mentioned without the X-line package. The car feels looks and brand new. What price is being given for the one you are considering for comparison?

Since I got the car, I had noticed a few things in the first month:
- Higher wind noise/squeaks from the driver door and overall higher noise pollution compared to other premium SUVs like GLC(Much quieter) and RX350. Drive it on the highway and make sure you are ok with this.
- Smooth and fast 35i engine but ok mileage at 18/19 MPG, when I was expecting it to be a bit higher at or above 20.
- A consistent squeak from the interior
- A metallic grinding noise

Then just recently "Low coolant" warning message.

Right now it's at the dealership and they have noted/investigated all these issues and here is what they are doing:

- For the higher wind noise from the driver door, they are lubing the rubber grommets for all doors for a better seal. Someone from the dealership did tell me that X3s are known to have higher wind noise. (Maybe that why the new 2018 X3 is coming with Acoustic glass from the front and as an option from the side windows)

- For the consistent squeak, they found the issue and are fixing the part

- For the "low coolant" issue, they found that the coolant expansion tank is leaking and are replacing it

- For the metallic grinding noise, they found that the rear diff had an issue and are replacing it.

Once I get the car back, I can report the final results, but I wanted to share with you what I found since you're considering the same exact year and model.

My 228i was new so its experience cannot be compared to the 40K old X3. I can't wait to get the X3 back and see if it can truly live up to being a premium/luxury cruiser.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

Hey sykr0n thanks for the write up! I ended up getting the x3 35i that I mentioned at the beginning on the thread. Pics are below. It's a 2015 with Tech package, HK Audio, Drivers assistance, Cold Weather, Premium package, and X-line. It had 40k miles and it's absolutely flawless, no rock chips, no wear on the leather, nothing. It's a CPO as well so I have that peace of mind.

I noticed that the interior has a few plastic creaks from the center console but otherwise the car is completely silent. The interior is just as quiet as the GLC I test drove, I think a lot of it has to do with the tires. This has grand touring all seasons and they're pretty comfortable. I have zero wind noise to speak of, it's much quieter than my 3 series.

Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      07-28-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
jman103099
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 & 2011 F25

Funny, I dont notice it anymore, but the day I drove my 2011 X3 home I posted on here or on the "other" forum about wind noise. My last generation X3 (2006) was much quieter. The glass (including windshield) is actually thinner as was pointed out by someone else years ago.

Also, seems like expansion tank is common. Should be able to replace yourself on that one. Rear differential is concerning though with only 45k.

I have 65k on my 2011 (non-turbo 6). It's been a pretty good car which I plan on keeping until about 85/90k which for me is 2-3 more years.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stridenttube View Post
Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to drive this car to 140k without a transmission or engine work that requires the engine to be removed? I can DIY most things like OFH gaskets, brakes, and fluid changes. I'm not good enough to replace transmissions or timing chain components.

Is reliability and expense to maintain worse for BMWs than it was 6 years ago?
It's CPO, I wouldn't worry. Just do the regular maintenance.

Is expense to maintain worse? Yes of course, labor costs more than it did 6 years ago, prices go up, inflation, etc.
      08-09-2017, 09:10 PM   #7
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

I'm very late to the party, but your X3 looks great, congrats! As for mileage, do not worry... I have 52K miles on my '13 X3 and she runs beautifully. Just completed a 3000 mile road trip and not a single issue with the vehicle at all.

I do note the very minor wind noise that some have mentioned. I really only hear it on the highway if I have the radio off. Any ambient noise in the cabin (kids, wife, radio) and I can't hear it...

Good luck.
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

I notice GLKs and GLCs are overall quieter. Every make has its pluses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykr0n View Post
For general BMW reliability, I had a new '14 BMW 228i (4-cyl Turbo) manual that I just returned in June since the lease ended and it was rock solid. I drove the car very hard. Not a single issue with the engine or transmission or interior or anything really, other than the clutch wearing out. I miss that car.

For the wifey, just got a CPO 2015 (LCI) X3 35i back in Feb with ~40K miles for around $34K. It is pretty much the same options as the one you mentioned without the X-line package. The car feels looks and brand new. What price is being given for the one you are considering for comparison?

Since I got the car, I had noticed a few things in the first month:
- Higher wind noise/squeaks from the driver door and overall higher noise pollution compared to other premium SUVs like GLC(Much quieter) and RX350. Drive it on the highway and make sure you are ok with this.
- Smooth and fast 35i engine but ok mileage at 18/19 MPG, when I was expecting it to be a bit higher at or above 20.
- A consistent squeak from the interior
- A metallic grinding noise

Then just recently "Low coolant" warning message.

Right now it's at the dealership and they have noted/investigated all these issues and here is what they are doing:

- For the higher wind noise from the driver door, they are lubing the rubber grommets for all doors for a better seal. Someone from the dealership did tell me that X3s are known to have higher wind noise. (Maybe that why the new 2018 X3 is coming with Acoustic glass from the front and as an option from the side windows)

- For the consistent squeak, they found the issue and are fixing the part

- For the "low coolant" issue, they found that the coolant expansion tank is leaking and are replacing it

- For the metallic grinding noise, they found that the rear diff had an issue and are replacing it.

Once I get the car back, I can report the final results, but I wanted to share with you what I found since you're considering the same exact year and model.

My 228i was new so its experience cannot be compared to the 40K old X3. I can't wait to get the X3 back and see if it can truly live up to being a premium/luxury cruiser.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Nerdking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarivers View Post
I notice GLKs and GLCs are overall quieter. Every make has its pluses and minuses.
It's mostly tire noise from the awful Eagle LS2 tires. Once I swap them out it should be very quiet. I have no wind noise at all. I will say that the GLC is a very nice and solid SUV, but the BMW is definitely the drivers SUV.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Have you used the Eagle LS2s in snow? I have them but it hasn't snowed since I put them on. They would not have been my first choice but I had an immediate need I could not otherwise fill. They are ranked slightly below average in several winter weather comparisons. I plan to of course do what I can to avoid dropping more than $1,000 on a set of winter tires but we'll see what the next few months bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdking View Post
It's mostly tire noise from the awful Eagle LS2 tires. Once I swap them out it should be very quiet. I have no wind noise at all. I will say that the GLC is a very nice and solid SUV, but the BMW is definitely the drivers SUV.
Appreciate 0