BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
ct0603
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Drive Train Failure Anyone?

I am a newish 2011 X3 3.5 owner (purchased in July) and today my car died entering an elevated highway ramp. The error said it was a drivetrain issue and the car started to lose power. I pulled over as far as I could (no real shoulder so pretty dangerous) and noticed my car was in nuetral. I put it in park and shut it off, waiting a minute and re-started. No errors showed up, so I drove about 100 feet and the same thing happened. I looked down as it stopped and it was again in nuetral. I powered off, then on, and it just sputtered and died. I had it towed to BMW tonight. Is anyone aware of this as a known issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Yeesh, that stinks. Sorry that happened Glad you're ok. Let us know what the dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct0603 View Post
I am a newish 2011 X3 3.5 owner (purchased in July) and today my car died entering an elevated highway ramp. The error said it was a drivetrain issue and the car started to lose power. I pulled over as far as I could (no real shoulder so pretty dangerous) and noticed my car was in nuetral. I put it in park and shut it off, waiting a minute and re-started. No errors showed up, so I drove about 100 feet and the same thing happened. I looked down as it stopped and it was again in nuetral. I powered off, then on, and it just sputtered and died. I had it towed to BMW tonight. Is anyone aware of this as a known issue?
I believe yours is the first instance that anything like this has been reported on the Forum. Many "various system faults" have been reported, but none that have disabled the vehicle. Please do give us an update once the failure has been diagnosed and hopefully repaired.

Hope this is resolved quickly - Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Sounds to me like some sort of sensor or actuator failure that is causing the transmission to or torque converter to not be able to engage drive properly.

Sucks but I would be surprised if it was a major part malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Yeah I would like to see how this issue plays out. Hopefully it is just a bad sensor or a sensor that has wiggled itself loose.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
hpfp? but idk why it would be put into neutral
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
hpfp? but idk why it would be put into neutral

The separate engine controller and transmission controller in the X3 are in constant communication. Possibly, if the engine controller senses a major fault, that fault causes the transmission controller to disengage the driveline.

The GA8HP transmission torque converter is fully "locked" in any gear except first at any engine rpm. There is no clutch pedal to disconnect the engine. Consider what would happen if the engine were to "lock-up" for any reason while you were traveling at 70 mph. The transmission controller should be programmed to "disconnect" the engine if it senses an engine problem.

If it is the HPFP, at least it's easy to diagnose and replace. There is a fuel pressure sensor that can be quired via the OBD-II port.

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-30-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
ct0603
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Update

And the prize goes to....... idrift and lotus....HPFP went out. The dealership said it was the first they have seen in a 2011 so hopefully it is just a fluke and that is the end of the story. Thanks for all the great input. Hope getting my emergency towing reimbursed will be just as seamless!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct0603 View Post
And the prize goes to....... idrift and lotus....HPFP went out. The dealership said it was the first they have seen in a 2011 so hopefully it is just a fluke and that is the end of the story. Thanks for all the great input. Hope getting my emergency towing reimbursed will be just as seamless!
Surprising. I didn't think that the N55 had seen much in the way of HPFP failures.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Surprising. I didn't think that the N55 had seen much in the way of HPFP failures.
Believe this is the first one reported here on a X3, although there have been a few on other models using the N55. Certainly does not seem to be a "chronic" problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Oh dear wonder if we will begin to see this on the N20 engines
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Interesting there isn't a 'limp mode' programmed into the drive train to get you home or to a safer location.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

If the high-pressure fuel pump completely fails on a direct injection engine like the N55, or for that matter the plain old low pressure injection pump on an older port injection engine, or if the engine electronics module (controlling spark generation and timing) fails, or any of dozens of other critical components, the engine simply can't run. A "limp-home" mode is not possible.

If a secondary system is not functioning within design parameters, like a temperature sensor, a mass air meter, or a exhaust O2 sensor, the car can revert to a safe "limp-home" mode.

It all depends on what the failed, or non functional component actually is.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #14
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
If the high-pressure fuel pump completely fails on a direct injection engine like the N55, or for that matter the plain old low pressure injection pump on an older port injection engine, or if the engine electronics module (controlling spark generation and timing) fails, or any of dozens of other critical components, the engine simply can't run. A "limp-home" mode is not possible.

If a secondary system is not functioning within design parameters, like a temperature sensor, a mass air meter, or a exhaust O2 sensor, the car can revert to a safe "limp-home" mode.

It all depends on what the failed, or non functional component actually is.
I think you are overreacting a bit... I wouldn't call a fuel pump exactly critical to a modern ICE...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I think you are overreacting a bit... I wouldn't call a fuel pump exactly critical to a modern ICE...
I hope you're not serious.

Over reacting, How so?

Combustion requires only three critical components:
Combustible material (usually atomised liquid fuel of some sort)
An oxidising agent (usually oxygen in the air, but sometimes pressurized nitrous oxide)
An ignition source (usually a spark plug, a glow plug or heat of compression)

No fuel pump=
No fuel=
No combustion=
No runny

I'd challenge anyone to start a N55 engine with the HPFP removed, or a N52 with the injection fuel pump removed, or a 20d, 30d or 35d with the VHP Diesel injection pump removed. On a N55 the piezo injectors require approximately 1500 psi (over 100 bar) for operation. How do you supply that without a HPFP?

Of course, you could slowly pour gasoline into the intake manifold and possible get the engine to fire, but I wouldn't advise doing it at road speed.

Come to think of it, the fuel pump is no more "critical" than the pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I hope you're not serious.

Over reacting, How so?

Combustion requires only three critical components:
Combustible material (usually atomised liquid fuel of some sort)
An oxidising agent (usually oxygen in the air, but sometimes pressurized nitrous oxide)
An ignition source (usually a spark plug, a glow plug or heat of compression)

No fuel pump=
No fuel=
No combustion=
No runny

I'd challenge anyone to start a N55 engine with the HPFP removed, or a N52 with the injection fuel pump removed, or a 20d, 30d or 35d with the VHP Diesel injection pump removed. On a N55 the piezo injectors require approximately 1500 psi (over 100 bar) for operation. How do you supply that without a HPFP?

Of course, you could slowly pour gasoline into the intake manifold and possible get the engine to fire, but I wouldn't advise doing it at road speed.
haha yeah I was being sarcastic.

I'm going to build a tube that is really really tall and put my gas in there. That was the gas generates enough head pressure to operate the engine without a pump. Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
haha yeah I was being sarcastic.

I'm going to build a tube that is really really tall and put my gas in there. That was the gas generates enough head pressure to operate the engine without a pump. Brilliant.
Thought so, but on these forums there are people with "very interesting" concepts about how things really work.
Appreciate 0