BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
BBender
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

30d (N57) oil burn?

What oil burn rate you have on your 30d (N57) engine?
Mine showed maximum level till 2000 km, at 2500 km it was about 3\4, now at 3000km it shows 2\4. Used kick down may be 5 times at all.

P.S. Yes, I know that BMW declares oil consumption of 1 liter at 1000km as normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Just done 13000 miles, about 21000km and mine hasn't moved since new and it's been driven hard at times.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #3
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I've done over 40,000 km (24,000 miles) and have had no oil usage as all between services. Are you sure you are using oil? After issues with the electronic level indicator saying it was overfilled I was told that there problems with the accuracy/reliability of the electronic level indicator and not to totally rely on it.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBender View Post
P.S. Yes, I know that BMW declares oil consumption of 1 liter at 1000km as normal.
And I'd be interested to know where that oil consumption number has come from. I'm not aware of this from BMW and that specific number (1 lit/1000 km) looks suspiciously like the number that Audi have quoted for some of their engines (and been quite rightly roundly criticised for).

Tony
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #5
BBender
Private
Rep

The level is constantly decreasing, so far... I know that there is an oil dipstick, but it requires some disassemble to reach it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

For the 30D (& 20D) dipsticks
The only dissassembly is to get behind the air filter. The dipstick has a black oval head on it and is behind the air filter on the LH side looking forward. As usual it just pulls out.

Full on the dipstick will show overfull on the electronic measure.

Do make sure that the dipstick is completely reseated as I understand that there is a seal around it that is important to consumption/emmisions

I had the joy of being told by a car mechanic that there was no Dipstick!! So I showed him where is was.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
BBender
Private
Rep

Did you removed yours? Your car also not burning oil between oil changes?

I need to remove only upper plastic engine cover (BTW it is hard seated, is it possible to break it while removing?) and dipstick comes out just by hand? I'am asking because of that image in ETK:

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
BBender
Private
Rep

Found mechanical dipstick, no need to remove any covers, it is perfectly accessible. It shows 1\2, the same as electronic.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
BBender
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
And I'd be interested to know where that oil consumption number has come from.
This information comes from BMW official diagnostic system (ISID):

Quote:
SIT-SIT-SI2007-001207381 Arguments pertaining to engine oil consumption

Subject matter
Customers are often unsure when it comes to the subject of engine oil consumption. Is an engine allowed to consume oil? What are the most important causes of engine oil consumption? The following explanations are intended to provide an aid to argumentation. They are aimed at all dealership staff who have contact with customers. Functions of engine oil
Engine oil is one of the most important operating fluids in a combustion engine. The engine cannot work properly without engine oil. The main functions of engine oil are: -Lubrication -Cooling -Prevention of corrosion and sedimentation Lubrication The lubricating film or the engine oil is exposed to a wide range of demands. The viscosity of the engine oil should not be too high at low temperatures so as to ensure optimum lubrication already at cold engine temperatures (e.g. cold starting). On the other hand, the engine oil should not be too thin-bodied at high temperatures as this can break down the lubricating film and nullify the lubricating effect entirely. The most important function of the engine oil is to minimise friction between metal surfaces. This function is effected by a lubricating film which builds up during operation between the surfaces of the moving engine components. The thin oil film reduces friction significantly, which translates into lower wear and lower heat generation. As well as preventing piston seizures and bearing damage, it extends the service life of all the relevant engine components and reduces fuel consumption. Another function of the oil film is to seal the combustion chamber against the crankcase via the piston rings. , cooling The pistons already reach their operating temperature shortly after the engine is started. It can take a few minutes, depending on the ambient temperature, the engine design and the driving style adopted, for the engine block and thus the cylinder walls to reach their operating temperature. The engine needs a fully functioning cooling system to stop it from exceeding the operating temperature. Aside from the two classic cooling components - air and coolant - engine oil is often underestimated or even forgotten as a crucial cooling component. The engine oil is responsible for a significant degree of cooling inside the engine. Specifically to cool the piston crowns, virtually all BMW engines have oil spray nozzles which moisten the piston crowns with engine oil. Prevention of corrosion and sedimentation Last but not least, it is the job of the engine oil to protect the engine against corrosion and sedimentation. Aggressive combustion residues are neutralised by the lubricating oil and appropriate additives. The remaining combustion residues are carried by the oil circuit to the oil filter, where they are filtered, or settle in the oil sump. Engine oil consumption
Engine oil consumption is dictated above all by the structural design of the individual assemblies or systems. Every combustion engine has a system-dictated consumption of lubricating oil. Decisive causes of engine oil consumption are: -Pistons with piston rings -Valve stem seals -Crankcase ventilation The surface topography used of cylinder barrel and piston ring is the primary variable which directly influences engine oil consumption, since the piston rings do not constitute a perfect seal, but instead act as a metering unit. With regard to design, there is a conflict of interests between engine oil consumption and friction loss. The letter has a direct effect on power and fuel consumption. In each piston stroke tiny quantities of engine oil are left on the cylinder walls and this oil is essential for lubricating the piston rings and the piston skirt (see above, lubricating film). During the piston downstroke the engine oil deposited on the cylinder wall takes part in the combustion close to the wall and is discharged with the combustion gases. The higher the engine speed, the greater the effect, since more combustion cycles per unit of time take place. For this reason, engines with a high rpm concept (BMW M engines) tend to have a higher engine oil consumption than other BMW engines. The same applies to the lubricating film on the valve stems. Note: SIT-SIT-SI2007-001207381 Arguments pertaining to engine oil consumption

For BMW spark-ignition and diesel engines, the maximum permissible engine oil consumption is 0.7 l/1000 km. Because of their increased power output and torque, M engines have a maximum permissible oil consumption of 1.5 l/1000 km. The measurable result of an engine oil consumption is overridden by the quality of the fuel used and of the driving profile. If, for example, in winter a lot of short distances are driven (= high fuel entry since the vaporisation temperature is for the most part only briefly achieved) and then a longer distance is driven (fuel can now vaporise), a significant drop in the engine oil level is encountered on this trip. This does not constitute engine oil consumption, but instead merely a different engine oil level on account of the fuel content in the engine oil. Customer complaints can often be put down to this fact. The situation can arise where the engine oil level drops over a few 100*km by around 1*litre. Added to this is some engines is a degree of uncertainty of up to 0.3*litres by the relevant measuring system (oil dipstick/QLT). Even the oil mist particles entrained via the crankcase ventilation (separation efficiency technically never 100*%) take part with the intake air in the combustion process. The design is particularly problematic here. On the one hand, engine oil should be separated as fully as possible; on the other hand; crankcase pressure requirements must be satisfied. Moreover, conventional separation systems function to optimum effect only with a specific gas flow rate; the separation effect decreases with lower or higher gas quantities. Summary Every internal combustion engine has a technically necessary engine oil consumption. The level of engine oil consumption is clearly influenced by the driveability and by the fuel used. Oil consumption measurement
The level of engine oil consumption that may arise with a particular engine can be determined by the customer only from the amount of engine oil he or she tops up with. As soon as the engine oil level falls below the maximum mark on the dipstick, many customers top up the engine oil without paying attention to a number of basic rules, such as the vehicle must be standing on level ground, a certain period of time must be left to allow the oil to flow back to the sump. In such cases, the available container sizes (e.g. 1-litre can) make it easy to top up above the maximum mark. Excess engine oil can cause engine damage and is consumed more quickly due to the effects of splash. For this reason, it is advisable to let the engine oil level drop as far as the minimum mark and only then to add the required volume of engine oil. The difference between the two marks is approximately 1.0 to 1.5*litres. The procedure for checking the oil level is given in the Owner's Handbook for the vehicle concerned. The service delegates will only deal with claims made under warranty if exact measurements by weighing are available (see SBS 11 07 96 138, Enclosure 12).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

Checked mine this weekend. Electronic gauge shows full, hasn't moved in 3k miles. Dip stick shows 3/4 full. Why bother having a gadget gauge that doesn't bloody work. Just shows can't trust electronic gauges! Same really!
Appreciate 0