BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2018, 01:18 AM   #1
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

DIY engine air filter 2012 X3 35i (F25)

Hi guys, I know this is a really simple diy but I like to document what I do and figured I might as well share this just in case someone wants to know.

Concern: Replacing as part of regular maintenance, and because I just got the car so I want to replace what I can. Also, the fuel economy is terrible at 12.8 mpg (80/20 highway/city) when I calculate miles driven to number of gallons of fuel refilled. So I'm hoping to get at least a little improved fuel economy with this.

Tools:
-ratcheting screwdriver
-standard tip bit and T27 torx bit
OR a regular standard tip screwdriver and T27 torx driver or socket and appropriate size ratchet

Parts: I usually go with oem parts or oes brands but this time I decided to try out a K&N filter. I know there's mixed reviews about it but I had a gift card to Amazon so it was basically free lol. Part no. 33-2428

Procedure:
1. Open the hood and locate the worm gear hose clamp from the airbox (says "BMW") to the intake tube and loosen it using the standard tip screw driver.

2. Now loosen the six (6) T27 screws holding down the airbox cover. They're not to be removed from the cover, so just keep unscrewing them till they're free to move up and down.

3. Rotate the airbox cover up and toward the rear of the vehicle. Voila! Now you see the air filter.

4. Pull out the air filter and toss it in the trash! Although it makes me feel better to inspect the old dirty filter and compare it to the new.

5. Place the new filter the same way back into the airbox as the old one came out. In only fits one way so no need to worry.

6. Rotate the air box cover back down and tighten the six (6) T27 screws to secure the cover. I used a criss-cross-Z-type tightening sequence but I really don't think it matters.

7. Tighten the worm gear clamp and make sure its snug. Now you're all good to go

Approx. time: <15 minutes

Only time will tell if this will help improve my horrendous fuel economy but at first impressions, the gas pedal does feel ALOT lighter. Oh and there's wasn't really any changes with sound, if you're wondering.

Cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

the old one doesn't look that bad, I don't think it will fix your bad fuel economy. I would look to intake cleaning, o2 sensor, dirty injectors, low tire pressure...or maybe just the really cold weather for the last few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
chknlytle
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
the old one doesn't look that bad, I don't think it will fix your bad fuel economy. I would look to intake cleaning, o2 sensor, dirty injectors, low tire pressure...or maybe just the really cold weather for the last few weeks.
I agree, but at least I know when’s the next cleaning due.

Tire pressure was set at 40 all around when I got it and while I had this mpg. I have 2 brand new non run flats in the front and 60% tread left run flats in the rear. Planning to change those out in a week or so.

Going to look at o2 sensor voltages this weekend to see if I’m running rich. My exhaust seems too black with soot but people here are telling me that’s normal for a turbo car. ?

Spark plugs just recently been changed but wondering if maybe the shop didn’t torque the down properly. Though it’s not misfiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Oilverland
Red-gistered
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 F25 xDrive 35i

General advice is: Don't mix tires in terms of type (RF vs not), brand, model, wear, or size (tires marked the same by different manufacturers can have different actual size). This can be bad for the transfer case, handling, and braking. If the NRFs are still new, get matching tires for the other axle. If they aren't new, get four new matching NRF tires, or find somebody who can shave a pair of new tires to be same diameter as the older ones.

Whoever sold you just two tires did you a disservice - I'd have words with them.

And don't over inflate them. 40lb is way too high. Use the pressure numbers on the driver's door jamb.

Edit - I'm no fan of oiled air filter elements. For a marginal increase in air flow you get a little more dirt through them. Probably will have no noticeable affect on fuel consumption. If you do want to keep this filter, consider regular cleaning of the MAF, there's a special cleaner for it, don't use anything else, it could damage plastic.

Sorry, I won't be able to find the reference for the oiled air filter now, it's lost in a Jeep forum that I peruse for my '08 Grand Cherokee with Mercedes Diesel. It's common on that forum to see people making preemptive fixes to presumed problems, vs. me leaving mine dead stock for 164,000 miles and it runs like new with no oil consumption.

Last edited by Oilverland; 06-10-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0