BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Trunk/tailgate Leak

Hi all,

I found a leak in the seams of the upper section of the tailgate. At first, I noticed some dry spots on the trunk plastic cover but over the weeks it's gotten worse and now there is a (stained) line across the cover. I took it in on Tuesday and will be on the mend until next Tuesday, I got a 535xi as a loaner, so I'm not too upset about it.

Also, as of late, I noticed considerable road wind noise at > 50 mph.

Have any of you experienced something similar on any of those ends?

Cheers.
      08-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

I have the X3 35i and have had no issues what so ever. Wind noise none that I have noticed. I would have your dealer check that out as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

No significant wind noise for me, really pretty quiet. If the tailgate is wet it does drip into the storage compartment and on top of the cover if it's closed. A few drops at a time. Found a couple "dried puddle marks" about 2-3 inches in diameter. Kind of annoying, but not a huge deal, and for me it's not a leak it's a design issue.

Did you find where it was leaking through? Dripping down with the tailgate closed? I'm guessing the upper seal that's affixed to the car body, no?
      08-15-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Drnelly
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Well, for me it started with a few drops at a time right after delivery and it's gotten progressively worse, to the point where a good downpour would leave a small puddle on the plastic cover that would require me to dry it up. I also have considerable discoloration on the area of the plastic cover where the leak was occurring (between the middle and right quarter of the tailgate)

My service dept. told me there was an issue with the rubber seal and also found a defective pair of gaskets that were letting in a bit too much, therefore the pressure applied on the rubber seal was less, therefore the leak.

I'm not concerned with the occasional 2-3 drops leakage, but this was different. The wind noise seems to have been related to punctured driver door seals, they have replaced them, so hopefully that solved the issue.