BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #1
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Am going away from Run Flats

2011 X3 35i Sport came with the staggered set up but I'm going out on a limb here and moving to non run flats, all the same size. Anyone have experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Yep. Ditched mine about a year ago and went with Conti Extreme DWS and love them. Don't miss the run flats at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Your tires are exactly what I ordered, should be here in a week. So, how did you address the lack of a spare issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

The new run flats in the 2015's are much better, less stiff in my X4. Problem is carrying a full spare in the car with no where to keep it out of sight!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I keep an air compressor and can of slime in the car. They now sell slime that does not mess up the TPMS so I went with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I got 20" non-rft and they are more plush than my 19" rft winter Tires. So I definitely prefer the non-rft. Not sure what to think about running non-staggered: my 19" are all same size (245/45).... When accelerating in corners I can feel them losing grip in the back. My 275 grip better, so if you drive aggressively, then I'd suggest staying staggered.... Especially with a 35i (I drive a 28d). I however don't bother about having a tire repair kit. Have been driving for 20years and - knock on wood - never had a flat:-)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #7
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I switched to non-run flat Michelins about a year ago and I love them. They ride better over small sharp bumps like highway expansion joints. They're quieter. I expect they'll wear longer. And they cost about half as much as my old run flat Pirellis. They're 7 lbs lighter per tire than the run flats, and 7 lbs less unsprung weight at each corner is a big handling advantage. Basically, they do everything better except run when flat. I carry a Continental compressor with a slime sealant cartridge built in, but I haven't had any need to use it yet.

I noticed a compact spare is an option on the new X5. Is BMW finally admitting they made a mistake betting heavily on run flat tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X4 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I keep an air compressor and can of slime in the car. They now sell slime that does not mess up the TPMS so I went with that.
You can buy one of those tire-kits from BMW.
Slime and compressor...in a nice bag with matching gloves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck1 View Post
They're 7 lbs lighter per tire than the run flats, and 7 lbs less unsprung weight at each corner is a big handling advantage.
I doubt the lighter tires make that much of a difference on the street handling wise, I am guessing you replace your runflats with higher performance conventional tires hence the performance improvement. If you track your X3 lighter tires' biggest advantage is acceleration, lighter tires means less mass for the engine to rotate. The difference might be 0.1 or 0.2 seconds off a 1/4 mile run, but I doubt most owners of X3 cares about that. The gas mileage and the ride comfort will also improve a tiny bit, the cost is also a bit cheaper. I guess its up to the individual owner to decide rather they are willing to the added safety of runflat tires for those improvements.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I once read that rotating mass has factor of six compared to static mass. If that is really true, then the additional weight of rft needs to be multiplied by 6. So 7lbs per Tire is equal to 42lbs static weight. Multiply that for every wheel..... That means as far as the engine and brakes are concerned, the rotating mass is like having 168lbs more in your car. So if weight is an issue, then stay away from rft and put the wife on diet;-)
Personally I will replace my winter rft with non-rft sooner or later because they are so much more comfortable and lighter... Already running non-rft in the summer and I love them. Why carry the additional weight if you don't need to?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #11
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Reducing unsprung weight (the total weight of components not supported by the springs, like wheels, tires, brakes, etc.) enhances the suspension's ability to keep the tires in contact with the road. Less unsprung weight = more grip, better handling, and more driving enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
So with the slime, similar to a mountain bike, ie get non RFT, put the slime, top up every few months? What brand does not affect tpms?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:34 AM   #13
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
So with the slime, similar to a mountain bike, ie get non RFT, put the slime, top up every few months? What brand does not affect tpms?
Don't use it if you're not having a flat.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:28 AM   #14
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandic24 View Post
Don't use it if you're not having a flat.
ahaa, so flat, add slime, pump up and move on, correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueb View Post
I once read that rotating mass has factor of six compared to static mass. If that is really true, then the additional weight of rft needs to be multiplied by 6. So 7lbs per Tire is equal to 42lbs static weight. Multiply that for every wheel..... That means as far as the engine and brakes are concerned, the rotating mass is like having 168lbs more in your car. So if weight is an issue, then stay away from rft and put the wife on diet;-)
Personally I will replace my winter rft with non-rft sooner or later because they are so much more comfortable and lighter... Already running non-rft in the summer and I love them. Why carry the additional weight if you don't need to?
I guess it depends on the individual and whether they feel as though run flats are of a vast benefit. The reason I wouldn't change to non run flats now is because my wife drives the car more than I do and I would prefer to know that she has more chance of getting home safe and sound during the winter months.
To be honest from a cost factor I haven't seen a huge difference between non run flats and run flats, unless you are happy to go to a cheaper brand of tyre. The only reason I would change is to assist in ride quality, but again I don't find the X3 that bad, especially compared to my 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
asinrute
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

I was asking in a tyre dealer about changing to non run flats and he said be careful, because he had a customer with a M5 and BMW had refused his warranty claim because he had changed to non run flats. Can't really see why, but I will check with BMW before changing. Has anyone else heard this
      11-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #17
Scandic24
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
ahaa, so flat, add slime, pump up and move on, correct?
Yup. The slime (a kinda rubber glue) seals the hole in the tire just enough for you to drive to a service station.
Example of the BMW M mobility kit

Last edited by Scandic24; 11-29-2014 at 04:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinrute View Post
I was asking in a tyre dealer about changing to non run flats and he said be careful, because he had a customer with a M5 and BMW had refused his warranty claim because he had changed to non run flats. Can't really see why, but I will check with BMW before changing. Has anyone else heard this
3 years ago when I was looking at getting my X3, I had this argument from a salesperson at one BMW dealership when I told him I'd be changing out the runflats for conventional tyres. I challenged him to bring down his Sales Manager to back up his claim and he immediately back-pedalled. Certainly here in Australia it is absolute and utter crap. Bought my X3 from another dealer where the salesperson actually directed me to a local tyre retailer who swapped out the runflats for conventional tyres. I've been running conventional tyres ever since. As long as you maintain your car in a "roadworthy" condition (which for the tyres means using tyres of the correct size, speed and load rating), neither BMW nor your insurance company has any comeback in the event of a claim.

For the record, I've been running non-runflats for 3 years. I have a full size spare permanently tied down in the back. Yes it does take up a bit of room but in our situation (there's only the two of us now with the kids long since moved out) its never been a issue. Having said that, in those 3 years I've never had to use the spare despite the amount of long distance country driving we've done on less than perfect roads.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinrute View Post
BS in UK you can order X3 with non Runflats in 17" form from BMW, comes with no,spare or slime though so you are on your own.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #20
thetony
Registered
Rep
Drives: F25 Mineral Silver

my 2013 X3 was ordered with 17" non runflats and the car comes complete with bmw slime and compressor. I have had one puncture so far and was a slow puncture so didn't use the kit. The tyre pressure warning on the dash came up and I had to measure the pressures to determine which tyre was at fault ( 3 psi down). The tyre had a small screw in the centre of the tread and this was repaired. So I am happy so far, but would prefer to have a spare and would like this to be stored out of sight.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #21
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetony View Post
my 2013 X3 was ordered with 17" non runflats and the car comes complete with bmw slime and compressor. I have had one puncture so far and was a slow puncture so didn't use the kit. The tyre pressure warning on the dash came up and I had to measure the pressures to determine which tyre was at fault ( 3 psi down). The tyre had a small screw in the centre of the tread and this was repaired. So I am happy so far, but would prefer to have a spare and would like this to be stored out of sight.
It does come with slime, hope next gen like X5 we are allowed to order a spare even if it's an option. Was at the Merc dealer today, looks like all the new models have no spare but Runflats this in the CLA, C Class and new A class.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 07:07 AM   #22
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Canadian X5 no spare tire option.
I had a FTM warning for low tire pressure on my RFT. Drove to dealer repaired within 40 minutes. Quick and convenient.
Appreciate 0