BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-04-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
lola_falana_12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Taken for joy ride during service at dealer

BMW BH service dept is always jammed pack so you're lucky if you get your car back at the end of the day for an oil change. I had an 11:40a Thurs appt with a loaner to get oil change, brake oil, fluids etc on my 2011 X3. I got a chassis malfunction error and battery discharge msg again not too long ago which I've asked them to address before so I asked them to look into it. I deliberately did not fill my tank and left apprx 65 mi range of gas. They call me at the end of the day asking more questions about the error which means they hadn't even touched my car since I dropped it off late morning which I expected. I told them that I noticed the chassis malfunction error would happen when I had my car in drive but had my foot on the brakes for an extended amount of time rather shifting to park. Next day, they still haven't finished and ask me for permission to put $20 of gas in my tank as they will need to drive it around to see if they can replicate the situation. I gave the ok but said they shouldn't have to drive it much as it always happened when the car was in one place.

Skip to Monday (car has been their since Thursday). I get a call at 12:30pm from my service advisor that the car is ready to pick up. They couldn't replicate the situation but updated my software to hopefully take care of the issue. 2 hours later, I get a call again saying that one of my rear tires is very worn down. I told him I didn't understand how is it that only one tire is worn down (I don't drive too much, bought car in June 2011:25K miles on it currently). He said he would get the details and get back to me. He calls back a few minutes later and tells me he read the wrong paperwork. It was that my rear tire had a nail it. I had purchased tire insurance so he was going to start a claim and replace (which meant at 3:40pm, I wasn't going to pick up the car til the next day). He suggested I have alignment done which he quoted $350. I said I wanted to think about it and do it next time.

I picked up the car today. As I drove away, I decided to check the photo I took of the mileage before I dropped it off. WTF! Over 70 miles added! I took a pic of my console and called my service man. He said he would bring it up to the management as that is excessive. I told him heck yeah, seeing that it hardly needed to be driven to try to replicate the error when I told them it was just in drive but in one place with my foot on the brakes. I'm not trying to knit pick here but where the hell did they drive to with my car? The service guy was trying to tell me that I should consider 6 mi a day to test drive so since they had my car 4 days...yeah still doesn't add up to over 70 miles and that is bs anyway. Those guys are not test driving my car every day.

It also dawned on me that there is no way they drove those miles with just putting $20 in my car. Sneaky bastards charged me for the $20 and probably added the extra gas to do their joy riding or whatever it was. Who knows if they put the right grade of gas when it was on their dime? I was going to shuck up to a lesson learned until I realized that the nail in my tire is suspect. When did the nail get in the tire and why did they only discover it after they had already called me to come and pick the car up? Luckily I have tire insurance but hello?

I am planning to go to the service center tomorrow as now I have more than just the mileage to be angry about. I'm going to ask them to take care of the alignment gratis since if it weren't for the nail, I would have not needed to replace the tire which my insurance took care of. I'm so tempted to ask them to fix a small nick on the rear bumper too but I can't be dishonest. I would very much appreciate everyone's advice/feedback.

Btw, I have to check the mileage logged on the paperwork (if that doesn't match up, I may lose it). I took photos before and after on my iPhone which I believe can give me time and date.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #2
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

You are smart to have taken photos.

I would be INCREDIBLY pissed off. I would march in there with my wife (an aggressive as f*k lawyer) and demand the entire service be free.

There is no justification for adding 70 miles to your car! 7 miles is a stretch .. I've never known service people to drive for more than 1-2 miles because they want to replicate the problem ASAP so they can get back to work, or tell you that they drove it and couldn't replicate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #3
VinX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

Check the paper work to see what the in and out mileage was. I have a dashcam in my car, and I hope that will deter them from taking it out for a joy ride or w/e reason they take it out for.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Paul_R_Canada
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: MB 2013 GLK250

Wow seriously disappointing, why are they charging you for gas when you had 65 left in the tank? Yes the joy ride but man don't you wish you had a hidden dash cam catch the bastards.. How much gas did it come back with?

Time for a new servicing dealer... You need someone you can trust..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

i have heard worse stories such as technician taking the car home and stuff.
my worst was at parkview dealer where i told them to not wash my car.
my dashcam captured it(the driver did tilt my dashcam to face upward to minimize the view) and they washed it via their automated touch wash. it was worse than cloth material against the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #6
Portimao318
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i Touring MSport

yes, that is very unprofessional of your dealer. I would be pissed off too.
But in the end, you cannot do much about it. What will you do ? Go to court for it?
Best way in such cases is to go to the press..... nobody wants bad publicity

But I would certainly file a complaint against this dealer at the headquarters of BMW USA .

Last edited by Portimao318; 03-05-2015 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
file a complaint with BMW NA...

my 2015 x3 was hit while it was at bmw service dept, damage to rear bumper was significant that it has to be replace. SA reviewed the pics taken the day of the schedule service and it was clear the damaged had happen while the car was there. SA and manager apologized for the incident and they will be responsible for repairs.

Always check interior and exterior of the car and mileage.

some people dont care.
Appreciate 0