BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Tire issue on 2013 X3

I've got a 2013 X3 35i Msport. OEM tires are the Goodyear LS2s. I noticed yesterday about a baseball size bulge in the sidewall of the front passenger side tire. The tire hasn't lost pressure, but the bulge is fairly large. Car only has about 15k miles, so overall the other tires should be in good shape.

The car is on lease. What is my best course of action? Find a local tire shop and replace with the same tire? Does the dealer ever have competitive pricing?

Thanks for your help. I'm a first time car owner, so still learning how to deal with these issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

get the tire replaced immediately!!!

the dealer will not cover the tire , unless you bought the tire and wheel insurance. the tire manufacture will prorate the tire, which means you will have some out of pocket expense depending on the tread wear, for replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrmann View Post
get the tire replaced immediately!!!

the dealer will not cover the tire , unless you bought the tire and wheel insurance. the tire manufacture will prorate the tire, which means you will have some out of pocket expense depending on the tread wear, for replacement.
I know I'll have to pay out of pocket. I'm in the Philadelphia area. Where is the best place to go for a good deal on tires?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Depending on how worn your other tires are if you only throw on one new tire, it can screw up the x-drive system. I would check tire rack and any places like discount tire to see what they have. You can always call the dealer and ask them to price match. I replaced my Goodyear LS2's with regular tires when they had 15,000 miles on them. They were already worn down to 3/32. Glad I ditched the run flats. Car rides so much better without them.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
Pitiful Old Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

When it came time to replace our tires, I found our Denver BMW dealer (Schomp) had a sale going. After looking at the total price (mounting/balancing) I thought it was competitive and went with it. Might have saved a few dollars ordering from Tire Rack and having an independent shop do the install but hey, when you're looking at $1300 in tires, a $50 difference is not really meaningful.

On the subject of x-drive problems, I really doubt that there is enough difference between a half-worn and a new tire to cause any problem. Should double check with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge000 View Post
I've got a 2013 X3 35i Msport. OEM tires are the Goodyear LS2s. I noticed yesterday about a baseball size bulge in the sidewall of the front passenger side tire. The tire hasn't lost pressure, but the bulge is fairly large. Car only has about 15k miles, so overall the other tires should be in good shape.

The car is on lease. What is my best course of action? Find a local tire shop and replace with the same tire? Does the dealer ever have competitive pricing?

Thanks for your help. I'm a first time car owner, so still learning how to deal with these issues.
If your tires are less than one years old, it is cover by the Goodyear warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If your tires are less than one years old, it is cover by the Goodyear warranty.
I remembered that detail but unfortunately the car will be 2yrs old in September. I found a local dealer that offered the tirerack price and can install tomorrow. Hopefully the other tires look good enough.

Funny story. I called the dealer. He told me that I must have staggered wheels because all Msports are staggered. In addition he said that the tire I told him I needed wasn't an X3 tire and its only for the 7 series. He then said that there could be 10 different OEM Goodyear's that were fitted on 2013 X3s. Is the parts guy at a dealer always this clueless?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Glad I ditched the run flats. Car rides so much better without them.
I was glad to see this comment, since I'm getting ready to replace the original run flats with regular tires (Michelins.) Now I'm really looking forward to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Wedge, the M Sport wasn't always staggered on the X3.. and the X3 uses the same size tire as the 5GT and 7, but I think you already knew that.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge000 View Post
I remembered that detail but unfortunately the car will be 2yrs old in September. I found a local dealer that offered the tirerack price and can install tomorrow. Hopefully the other tires look good enough.

Funny story. I called the dealer. He told me that I must have staggered wheels because all Msports are staggered. In addition he said that the tire I told him I needed wasn't an X3 tire and its only for the 7 series. He then said that there could be 10 different OEM Goodyear's that were fitted on 2013 X3s. Is the parts guy at a dealer always this clueless?
It amazes me how clueless these guys are. I think the only staggered set-up was in 2011 with SAP DHP and 309s. This was before M-Sport was available. Since, the M-Sport set-up has been running 369Ms 19x8.5 square, unless you shelled out for 310Ms at the time for a cool 5K+. I'm not sure if SAP carried over to 2012. Call another parts guy so he can tell you what you have and get another chuckle.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
wedge000
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Wedge, the M Sport wasn't always staggered on the X3.. and the X3 uses the same size tire as the 5GT and 7, but I think you already knew that.
Yep, thanks. Independent dealer installed the new tire today and didn't indicate rim damage or that tread was too low on the other wheels. About $370 installed. As long as this doesn't happen more than two more times hopefully I made the right choice not getting the wheel insurance.
Appreciate 0