BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Xero
Canada
Rep
Drives: Deciding

Thumbs down Red nav screen, blanks out, service sucks

Parents' 2013 X3 Navigation screen went red on start up, then blanks out after a few minutes.(no pics, but similar to this http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ght=red+screen )Radio continued to work. Continued to drive to the destination for 20 minutes, still blank. Restarted the car 2 hours later, screen went back to normal. I searched other threads before and people mentioned it's due to hot weather. It was parked in a shade and it was 15 degrees Celsius outside.

Took the car to an SA and said he's seen this happen once in a while. Great. He said he had to order the whole unit and replace the CIC. Told me to bring the car in next day (no appointment required--what?), and said it'll take the whole day to finish. Fine. Called me and said they're still reprogramming it, updating to the latest maps, and to leave it overnight.

The SA called me next afternoon and said the car was ready for pickup. He said he replaced the unit, CIC, and updated to the newest maps. But upon doing the reprogramming, he said he noticed the heated mirrors were burnt out from running the car for 8 hours. So he said he ordered a new set of mirrors and to come back in a few days for an install (no appointment--again).

Picked up the car, drove for few minutes and went to check out the nav version. It said 2012. Also noticed all 3 phones were still paired to the car. New unit? Doubt it.

Spoke to a different SA, told me that there was a miscommunication with the maps and said they used a usb drive to transfer the phones to the "new" unit. Total BS with the latest and newest maps. If we wanted the 2014 maps, it would cost $300. I thought the usb port was to copy your profiles, updating the software, and to listen to tunes.

Is there a way to know if the SA did swap out the old unit for a new one? Would another dealer be able to check?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Crash Test
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I had the red screen problem a few months ago. After turning the off for a few hours then on again normal operation resumed. My dealer said they could not/would not do anything about it unless it happens again.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I had the same problem with mine, except the screen was blank and not red. Starting up half an hour or hour later and it would work - until next time. BMW would not replace anything unless they either had a fault code or could see the fault for themselves. They kept my car for three weeks and finally the screen was blank on start-up. They diagnosed a faulty screen (not CIC) and a new one was fitted under warranty.
Appreciate 0