BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
jballew7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Reset Fuel Guage

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum as well as owning an x3.

So I've been having fuel gauge issues. It's inaccurate. At first I suspected a fuel level sensor. But now I've come across something else. I used the OBC test feature to test gauges. All other gauges are fine expect fuel. When it resets it goes from the "current fuel level" back to zero like I assume it should however it doesn't goes to zero (empty) it goes to about a 1/4 tank than all the way full, all the way zero then back to current level. Sorry I know that sounds more complicated than it should. Anyways can I reset it back to zero. I feel like the gauge is off and not the sensors. I have an appointment Friday with the dealer but just curious if I could save myself the money.

Thanks
2004 X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Mattns
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 3.0i

When you say inaccurate do you mean across the whole scale, IE when you fill up does the gauge show full and then decrement as the miles are driven but stop going down at some point?

If the gauge is good for most of the range IE full to under half I'd probably save money and just fill up at the half tank point, just my approach to this sort of problem.
Appreciate 0