BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

2011 X3 vs Q5 My Opinions

Hi. Was trying to decide between the X3 35i and the Q5 3.2L so I went to the dealers and did a quick test drive in both cars. I drove the X3 first since I'm partial to BMW's (own an M3). Here were my first thoughts and the initial pricing I got. Please share how your experiences were comparing the two also.

Driving Experience: X3 seems to have this strange acceleration from a dead stop. I'm sure it's something I'll get used to then forget about. It's like you're at a stop, let go of brakes, step on gas a little bit, but it doesn't seem to start rolling forward until you press it further down, but then it kinda launches forward. I think I just have to get used to it. Reviews said the Q5 has more torque which would be better at accelerating from a stop, but the X3 felt like it had a quicker acceleration for some reason. The Q5 definitely felt like I was driving a bigger SUV around vs the X3. I felt more confident driving the X3 around tighter areas. The X3 felt more agile. I only drove on smooth roads so I couldn't tell if the X3 had a harsh ride. It felt fine, but the Q5 did feel like it had a softer suspension. I know with all the options and settings it's hard to compare as I'm not sure what each car's exact package/settings were.

Exterior: The Q5 looks more refined/classy. The X3 more angular. I think I prefer the Q5's looks a little more over the X3, but this is so subjective. The X3 has the cool new bright halo rings, but the Q5 has the cool Audi LED's in front. If you're into moon/sunroofs, the Q5 has a HUGE sunroof, much larger than the X3. Doesn't matter much to me. The Q5 has the dual mufflers which I like a lot more.

Interior: The X3 interior feels more spacious than the Q5 even though they both are the same width on the outside (measuring from widest point inside the side mirrors). The Q5's interior felt a little more luxurious, but then at the same time I felt as if there were too many buttons and would prefer the X3's simpler design. The X3's iDrive/nav display was nicer than the Q5's. They both seemed about the same comfort level in the seats. One first impression that I had when first getting into the Q5 was the large front windshield, but it has a small rear window to see through vs the X3. Not sure if it was my seat height, but even though the Q5 has a larger front windshield, it seemed easier to see the road in the X3. You seem to see more of the front end of the Q5 through the large window instead of the actual ground. The Q5 has a lot larger side view mirrors (notably in the vertical aspect) which made it feel more like a big truck. I think i preferred the X3's side view mirror.

Pricing: These were quick prices I obtained from the sales manager from BMW and a sales rep for Audi.

BMW told me $800 over invoice and didn't seem to want to budge at all even though I bought my M3 from them. Brought the fact of throwing in floor mats into the equation. Finance APR of 4.9% (BMW bank). They do offer a balloon payment which sets aside $19,000.

Audi told me the best they can do was $1000 off MSRP and that their invoice cost was a smaller margin to the MSRP compared to BMW. No balloons offered. Finance APR of 2.9%.

BMW offers 4 year 50k mile warranty including brakes (full warranty). Audi offers 4 year 50k mile warranty excluding brakes (service warranty).

Order time for X3 = 6-8 weeks. Order time for the Q5 is about 12 weeks.

In the end I think I prefer the X3. The expecting wife also prefers the X3 who the car is ultimately for.

Thanks.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo

Last edited by sard; 07-03-2011 at 01:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

This has been discussed at length on lots of threads. Google this

"site:http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums q5"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...gc.r_pw.&cad=b

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

The X3 35i has a lot more torque than the Q5's 3.2…almost 50 more ft/lbs…not sure what reviews you read, but one place where the X3 35i has a decided advantage is in the engine.
      07-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This has been discussed at length on lots of threads. Google this

"site:http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums q5"

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...gc.r_pw.&cad=b
I've read other reviews online. I just wanted to add my own personal take on it. Also what I was quoted here in Orange County as far as prices. Google Nazi.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
The X3 35i has a lot more torque than the Q5's 3.2…almost 50 more ft/lbs…not sure what reviews you read, but one place where the X3 35i has a decided advantage is in the engine.
I read it on http://www.newcars.com Maybe they were comparing the base model engines.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

Thanks Sard for the review. I am sure wife will be happy with the car.

I tested the 28i, then 35i. Went to Audi looking to test the Q5 but no one came to assist me, nor another set of customer. Waiting for delivery in 8-12 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I've read other reviews online. I just wanted to add my own personal take on it. Also what I was quoted here in Orange County as far as prices. Google Nazi.
The google search is based purely on this site and answers the question you posed, namely "Please share how your experiences were comparing the two also.". It's necessary to use Google or another search engine because "Q5" is too short a phrase to search this forum with.

If you had taken the time to use the search and look at the returned threads in the link rather than blindly dismiss it, you would find a lot of useful comparisons such as this one

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
sard
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The google search is based purely on this site and answers the question you posed, namely "Please share how your experiences were comparing the two also.". It's necessary to use Google or another search engine because "Q5" is too short a phrase to search this forum with.

If you had taken the time to use the search and look at the returned threads in the link rather than blindly dismiss it, you would find a lot of useful comparisons such as this one
Ok thanks.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I read it on http://www.newcars.com Maybe they were comparing the base model engines.
They had to be - Audi's 3.2 in the Q5: Torque: 243 ft-lbs. @ 3000 rpm
Horsepower: 270 hp @ 6500 rpm

VS 300/300 in the X3.

Performance isn't even close..at least a full second quicker to 60 and more than that through the quarter and better gas mileage than the 3.2 …just sayin'
      07-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

I was seriously considering the Q5 until I drove them both. The handling and overall dynamics of the X3 are head and shoulders over the Q5.

The Q5 does have a nicer interior though (but just try and find the fan speed control on the first try!), but overall there really is no comparison.
Appreciate 0