BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
View Poll Results: colour
Alpine White 24 51.06%
Carbon Black 23 48.94%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

02-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #23
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Make sure you don't mind your car looking different colors depending on the angle and lighting before you decide on CB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
What the X3 really needs is a 'metalic' white. If you are keeping the car I wonder what AW will be like in 5 years - will the colour become dull or 'lost'?
Metallic whites are great for a Lexus. BMW has been painting cars AW for far longer than 5 years- shouldn't be too hard to find one and see what it looks like....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #24
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

I was originally going to have my 35D in white with the brown leather but then when I realised that metallic is a no-cost option, I changed over to Carbon Black as it's a better paint finish than a plain colour (hence it always usually costing extra). Carbon Black is a better bet than Sapphire Black as in the sunshine, Carbon Black is more of a dark blue than a regular black. As stated above, with the oyster leather - it's an awesome combination.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #25
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

This has been done before BTW

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585749

AW doesn't show the dirt as badly as CB and you don't get the swirl marks problem as badly with AW. CB looks great under certain lights but not really fan of the blue look (prefer DSB). Bear in mind that BMW's paint is now "greener" and that means it damages very easily

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #26
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

While I'm not a fan of black suvs I think you should get carbon black since it's only available with M-sport.

All of my past cars were black or very dark colors and it's funny how people tell you that black cars are hard to keep clean. I currently have an AW X3 (1st white car I've owned) and it's definitely harder to keep clean, dirt is easy enough to wash off but bugs, tar, and tree sap are very hard to remove and even when you do it sometimes stains the paint an off color.

However if I had a choice I'd still pick AW a 2nd time, I think it really comes down to how long you'll be keeping the car and how dedicated you are to keeping it clean.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #27
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

To my understanding neither of these are colors. Hence I vote for empty.

I vote also that choose a color for your car, not "anticolor"
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This has been done before BTW

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585749

AW doesn't show the dirt as badly as CB and you don't get the swirl marks problem as badly with AW. CB looks great under certain lights but not really fan of the blue look (prefer DSB). Bear in mind that BMW's paint is now "greener" and that means it damages very easily
Sure does. Had a small stick fly up and hit my mirror this week -- 4 2mm diameter scratches through the paint.
      02-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Sure does. Had a small stick fly up and hit my mirror this week -- 4 2mm diameter scratches through the paint.
I noticed a couple more little "flakes" when polishing my X3 on Saturday. I have no idea how most of them got there but only 3 are large enough to be of real concern/annoyance. I might start a new thread to compare notes. The paintwork certainly seems more fragile than my last VW

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I plan on having the 3M stone guard installed before I take delivery ... it works great. I've had stone guard on my last two cars and it has eliminated a fair bit of damage.

Quote:
I noticed a couple more little "flakes" when polishing my X3 on Saturday. I have no idea how most of them got there but only 3 are large enough to be of real concern/annoyance. I might start a new thread to compare notes. The paintwork certainly seems more fragile than my last VW
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #31
hekki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bentayga, GT3 RS

To keep car without scratches i suggest to use CQUARTZ technology.

Look at that x6, looks like new.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #32
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I was sold "BMW Seal & Protect" by my UK Dealer ... not convinced it does a thing since my wife's 135 had the treatment and gets a scratch when the wind blows ... but then I am also afraid not to take it either just in case ...

... anyone have any experience of "BMW Seal & Protect" ... and recommendations for a lazy person trying to protect their paint work?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #33
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
I was sold "BMW Seal & Protect" by my UK Dealer ... not convinced it does a thing since my wife's 135 had the treatment and gets a scratch when the wind blows ... but then I am also afraid not to take it either just in case ...

... anyone have any experience of "BMW Seal & Protect" ... and recommendations for a lazy person trying to protect their paint work?
I had it thrown in as part of the deal for free. Seems the car is easy to clean with dirt coming off easily. Not sure about it's resilliece to scratches or bird lime yet.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I plan on having the 3M stone guard installed before I take delivery ... it works great. I've had stone guard on my last two cars and it has eliminated a fair bit of damage.

I've seen a few people applying solutions like this one and they do seem like a good idea. I just have a hang up about covering the car to protect the paintwork which you then can only see or touch through the plastic you've put on top. Not sure if this makes sense.

Also, some of the flaking is on parts of the car that wouldn't be covered. They're not stone chips. I think it's where something has eaten into the paintwork or adhered to it and taken some of the paint off with it when it was removed.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #35
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'd rather have a clear film than dings and chips from road debris. It's sortof like wearing a 'safe'.

sfax, sounds like your wheels got the dose.

Quote:
I've seen a few people applying solutions like this one and they do seem like a good idea. I just have a hang up about covering the car to protect the paintwork which you then can only see or touch through the plastic you've put on top. Not sure if this makes sense.

Also, some of the flaking is on parts of the car that wouldn't be covered. They're not stone chips. I think it's where something has eaten into the paintwork or adhered to it and taken some of the paint off with it when it was removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I'd rather have a clear film than dings and chips from road debris. It's sortof like wearing a 'safe'.

sfax, sounds like your wheels got the dose.

and I will definitely consider a film on the next car but too late for this one.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #37
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

I know many folks here are very pleased with the film solution. Doesn't work for me. So far, the appearance of the chips bothers me less than the appearance of the film.

Too bad there isn't some type of stronger clear coat they could apply to the more vulnerable areas, but just there to limit any reduction in the greenness.
      02-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
+1

I know many folks here are very pleased with the film solution. Doesn't work for me. So far, the appearance of the chips bothers me less than the appearance of the film.

Too bad there isn't some type of stronger clear coat they could apply to the more vulnerable areas, but just there to limit any reduction in the greenness.
Exactly!

I don't have a case on my iPhone for the same reason

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ha! Same here.
      02-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #40
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
To my understanding neither of these are colors. Hence I vote for empty.

I vote also that choose a color for your car, not "anticolor"
Hmmm, in the world of physics technically only the RGB shades of 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 are not colours, the rest are.
The off white in AW and the blue in CB certainly keep them firmly in the legitimate colour spectrum.

FWIW, I dont buy light coloured cars as they show the shut lines more. (and any sags/ gaps in the bumper fits, etc.)

Again, a physics lesson, but the black hole effect is a term that descibes why gaps, cracks, shut lines, etc all looks dark on a light coloured finish. BAsically the light goes in and doesn't reflect out do they allways look in shadow.
With some cars, the shut lines are at odd places (3 series convertible anyone) so a darker colour lets the eye see the design curves of the car more than the shutlines / panel joints.

For me the kicker was the AW wheel arches of the X3 M Sport. They leave the mounting screws in black but you see them clearly in the inside edge of the wheel arches. I didn't like this so I went for the CB.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #41
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Hmmm, in the world of physics technically only the RGB shades of 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 are not colours, the rest are.
The off white in AW and the blue in CB certainly keep them firmly in the legitimate colour spectrum.

FWIW, I dont buy light coloured cars as they show the shut lines more. (and any sags/ gaps in the bumper fits, etc.)

Again, a physics lesson, but the black hole effect is a term that descibes why gaps, cracks, shut lines, etc all looks dark on a light coloured finish. BAsically the light goes in and doesn't reflect out do they allways look in shadow.
With some cars, the shut lines are at odd places (3 series convertible anyone) so a darker colour lets the eye see the design curves of the car more than the shutlines / panel joints.

For me the kicker was the AW wheel arches of the X3 M Sport. They leave the mounting screws in black but you see them clearly in the inside edge of the wheel arches. I didn't like this so I went for the CB.
Agree on the AW M Sport wheel arches. I can't believe they left them like that. It looks like LEGO.

Interesting and valid point on the shut lines. The flip side is that all of the new styling lines that have been added to the bonnet and the sides of the car are more prominent in lighter colours and that was very evident when I first saw a TiAg next to a jet black. That's a big plus for me

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #42
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
I hope you saw my smiley there, I wasn't dead serious with my comment...

Quote:
Good point, though light does come out, it is just reflected to wrong direction compared to nearby light.

Don't teach a Finn about reflections:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_reflector

With a
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #43
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Well guys, seeing that there is was a 50-50 split my wife got the tie breaking vote for white. AW 2013 m-sport it is.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #44
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Wife's will do that ...

I didn't even get to put it to a vote!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0