BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #1
MEddy78
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 M Sport

Garage List
and it was all yellow!

I'm not on about the Coldplay track more to do with the interior lighting on my LCI F25!

(no doubt I will be making numerous posts on this forum as my transition from F31 settles down!)

I was surprised to see the lighting throughout the interior of the car is the older type lamps that give out a warm, yellow light and BMW have not used white LEDs. Was this an option that my car didn't come with?

I see on eBay and such like there are LED lamp kits with approx 20 lamps allowing you to change out the lamps directly.

Would you good folk recommend this option or is the end result an over-bright, occasional flickering and error ridden disaster waiting to happen?!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:30 AM   #2
TheCoolX3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i M-Sport

Garage List
Im sure replacing them would undoubtedly piss the car off one way or another, but... probably nothing you couldn't code out.

Someday I'd like to retrofit the multi color led strips that go around the interior of the new BMWs into my 16. The plain orange is getting old and cheap looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Burnaby
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 F25 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEddy78 View Post
I'm not on about the Coldplay track more to do with the interior lighting on my LCI F25!

(no doubt I will be making numerous posts on this forum as my transition from F31 settles down!)

I was surprised to see the lighting throughout the interior of the car is the older type lamps that give out a warm, yellow light and BMW have not used white LEDs. Was this an option that my car didn't come with?

I see on eBay and such like there are LED lamp kits with approx 20 lamps allowing you to change out the lamps directly.

Would you good folk recommend this option or is the end result an over-bright, occasional flickering and error ridden disaster waiting to happen?!
I replaced all of them with the LED replacement I found in ebay and the result is great. Easy swap and no codes and no complains from the car. Make sure you count yours correctly. My count is:
2x in the trunk
2x rear seats
2x front foot
4x doors, but I would advise on more expensive projector type with the logo.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

I did this a while ago and would recommend it. I forgot exactly where I purchased the kit, One thing to keep in mind is that over time the leds go bad or start to flicker. This is because of the dimming feature when cutting them out. Leds do not liked to be dimmed.
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I changed mine for LED. There are no errors since there is not any computer checks for them.
I bought various sizes off ebay for under $20 for all with spares.

2x in the trunk
2x rear seats
2x front foot
4x doors
3x overhead
4x rear c-pillar
2x visor mirrors
1x glove box
Appreciate 1