BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #1
andyoesq
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Losing satellite and radio pre-sets?

Hi,
I have had my 2011 for almost 4 months. This morning, for the second time, when I turned on the car, my radio presets were gone. The first time, all of the presets were gone. That was about a month ago. This morning, it was all of the satellite presets were gone, with the exception of the 3 AM presets, which remained (at number 28, 29 and 30).
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Otherwise, the car works fine. I needed a new tire a week ago, and when the car was in the BMW dealership, I told them about the first loss of pre-sets, and they looked and didn't find any fault codes.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
andyoesq
Rep

if it matters, I don't have nav or tech package
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoesq View Post
Hi,
I have had my 2011 for almost 4 months. This morning, for the second time, when I turned on the car, my radio presets were gone. The first time, all of the presets were gone. That was about a month ago. This morning, it was all of the satellite presets were gone, with the exception of the 3 AM presets, which remained (at number 28, 29 and 30).
Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Otherwise, the car works fine. I needed a new tire a week ago, and when the car was in the BMW dealership, I told them about the first loss of pre-sets, and they looked everywhere, even under the floor mats, and they couldn't find the radio stations.

Thanks for any help anyone can give,
I took the liberty of modifying the above, to make it more accurate to how BMW service really works.

Okay - I will ask the obvious question: Are you sure you are not alternately using the two different key fobs?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
andyoesq
Rep

yes, only using one FOB. 1 thought I had was that maybe the fob was bad?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
That's possible. To eliminate that as a cause, try using the other one for several days and see if the same problem presents itself.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
andyoesq
Rep

are the radio presets definitely stored on the key?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoesq View Post
are the radio presets definitely stored on the key?
The radio presets, seat and mirror positions, phone directory, special programmable button functions, locking preferences, etc. are stored in the vehicle's preferences (BMW calls them "Personal Profiles") memory, just like a desktop computer.

The X3 can store a full set of functions for up to (4) users. You must purchase extra keys (about $350 each) and then have the vehicle computer programmed to accept them (usually $100 to $150 per key). The key identifies the user to the vehicle's computer, which then "loads" the preferences for that user. when the vehicle is unlocked or when the engine is started.

You can verify that your "Profile is being recognized by going to: "Settings" then "Profiles". Optionally, you can select a "Guest" profile if you want to change the stored preferences when letting a guest use your key, but don't want their seat, mirror, and radio, etc. choices to override your presets.

If someone "plays" with the iDrive controller and selects "Guest" from the "Profiles" menu, your presets will not be loaded.

Using the "Key Remote" to unlock the vehicle does send data both ways. the vehicle sends current mileage information (miles since last maintenance, total mileage, and any stored error codes) to the key remote, which is actually stored in the key, so they can be retrieved at the dealership.

If you are loosing only the radio presets, but not the stored seat and mirror settings for your key, it sounds like a problem with the radio memory and not with the key being properly recognized.

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-13-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0