BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

SIRI with bmw apps?

This feature alone would make it worth the purchase. Anyone that has used Siri on the iPhone 4s. Imagine having that ability while driving. Click the voice control on the steering wheel and it goes to Siri. Send emails or texts without taking your eyes off the road. Check stock prices, weather...

For anyone that hasn\'t used Siri it\'s worth the iPhone upgrade just for that. Only problem so far is servers are down a lot because of everyone trying it non stop (like me). Apple will need to sort that out. I bet when it\'s done in beta stage they charge for it after everyone is hooked.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Siri works via bluetooth as if you were in a phone call. When you hold the home button down on the 4S, it connects as the phone to the car and Siri responses are played via the car's audio system. Text responses are only displayed on the iPhone. all we need is BMW update to display text responses on the nav screen...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Yeah, I am loving Siri here. It does a great job with unit conversions.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Gotta agree Siri is great. Typing this on my new iphone now. Perhaps some type of integration with the car would be possible in the future with BMW Apps, or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

okay, well I guess it somewhat works with blue tooth

I tried it in my C63 this morning (while stopped), I just held down the iphone button and heard the "ding" from siri, asked her to send an e-mail (phone was in cupholder/center console) and she asked who I would like to send it too... I then just gave her some generic info and she read it back to me and asked to confirm the send! its not something I would do all the time, but it might come in handy sometimes (say my wife is in a meeting and can't talk but I need to ask her something and don't want to text while driving...)

Now if BMW would somehow either make the button on their steering wheel activate Siri (not sure how it would work though, would probalby have to have a new button that doesn't interfere with voice activation in idrive), or even something in idrive letting you select SIRI, I am sure it will come in the future but probably like 3-4 years at the pace BMW upgrades features on the idrive! maybe for the M3 Sedan they will have it
Appreciate 0