BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Second thing I do after pushing the START button is to switch off that start-stop annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #24
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsambi View Post
Does anyone know if there is a fuse that can be taken out to deactivate?
Just "Turn it OFF" there is a switch next to the start button.
      10-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #25
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

I agree that this function is COMPLETELY unpredictable, sometimes it works in traffic, other times it doesn't despite being stuck in traffic for hours. Sometimes it kicks in at the most ridiculous times, when wanting to merge, when awaiting at an intersection, when i want to leave my driveway, when i stop but the traffic immediately starts moving and i move an inch and it starts up again but doesn't turn off after moving that one inch while still being in traffic. It also freaks everybody out on the 20d. Maybe i should turn it off more often or drive in sport more
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #26
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Think it does take some getting used to but works well in my 3.0d and when I drive other cars now it becomes how wasteful of fuel they are at times. Enjoying sittings silence at peak times and queuing is no longer quite so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #27
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

X3Buyer is correct - once mastered it is a good feature. The 'software' is correct and its not 'unreliable', now I know how it works its very useful. I agree, the sitting in silience at lights is quite comforting, you can even 're-start' the engine without moving - before the lights change.

I am no longer switching the auto start/stop feature 'off' via the button.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #28
S70IP
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Followed Tank531's guidance and some car manual reading and went for a drive. I'm now sold on the function after some practice.
As far as wear-and-tear goes. It a BMW engine not Toyota or GM. It'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

I'm with these last couple of posters. I too initially hated the function and for the first week or so would turn if off every time I started the car. But after a while - and after a couple of times of forgetting to turn it off - I've now got to the stage that I'm very confident in it and I leave it on the whole time. I find it very predictable. Yes there are some times it doesn't activate, but these are times when I'm on a slope, or have turned the wheel, or its very warm. Its interesting - we are starting to get some warm days here in Brisbane and most times it turns off - 20-30 seconds later it restarts in order to get the A/C going. Interestingly - once it has restarted - it doesn't seem to want to stop again. Working in conjunction with the auto-hold (which I wish was on by default), restarts and moving away from traffic lights seamlessly. From other posts here I'm aware of a couple of ways to restart the engine if you want an even quicker getaway - turn the wheel, foot on brake, slight nudge on the accelerator. I'm sold on it.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:18 AM   #30
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm fairly happy with the start/stop function. Driving locally quite often it stops when I'm, only stationary few a very few seconds so I turn it off then I end up stopping for longer, it's a hard game to win!

If I'm being brutally honest....the 30D is not that smooth at idle (it's not terrible but it could be a tad better). The engine stopping is a plus overall but it does highlight vibration at idle when it does not stop.
      10-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #31
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
Think it does take some getting used to but works well in my 3.0d and when I drive other cars now it becomes how wasteful of fuel they are at times. Enjoying sittings silence at peak times and queuing is no longer quite so annoying.
Might give it another - i found if you use it in conjunction with the auto hold the re-start time is slightly less as you press the throttle down

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #32
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I may have a fault with mine but regardless of how the brake is applied (I know how to prevent it stopping the engine) it is still completely unpredictable. E.g. stop when stone cold after 300m for 10 seconds. 20 miles and 30 minutes of non-stop driving later, it won't stop at all regardless of brake action, even if you switch to auto-hold, it will not stop. That can't be right IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:01 AM   #33
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

That sounds wrong Sean. Although I have done less miles I hae not seen anything like that. The only issues as Lotus points out elsewhere are temp (which your experience seems to rule out) and battery level. IF you had a low battery it might be smart enough not to activate, again as Lotus has explained and monitored with a volt meter whilst driving. If not that, might be a control unit or something - like the one I had to get replaced for the intermittent door lock problem I had.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #34
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3buyerScotland View Post
That sounds wrong Sean. Although I have done less miles I hae not seen anything like that. The only issues as Lotus points out elsewhere are temp (which your experience seems to rule out) and battery level. IF you had a low battery it might be smart enough not to activate, again as Lotus has explained and monitored with a volt meter whilst driving. If not that, might be a control unit or something - like the one I had to get replaced for the intermittent door lock problem I had.
I think I have an intermittent fault but it will be one of those trips to the dealers where they take the car all day, drive it 100 yds and see stop start working once, give it back to me at the end of the day and say it's all fixed .

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #35
Bill S
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 30d N57 + E60 535d M57

I find that it seems very easy to turn off by giving the steering a very slight twitch as you come to a halt.
Perhaps this is why some find it sometimes does not work ...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #36
benligang
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3 35i, no-nav, no-leathe

Anyone knows how long it idles in order to consume 1 gallon of gas ?

I think it is a good system on the restart part but I need to control when it stops, not the car. I hope bmw get rid of all these softwares, just leave a button there which is inactive by default. When I see the need to stop engine to save some gas, that is, when I think the wait time is going to be long enough to justify a stop/restart action, I will press the button to stop the car.

It's stupid to not to provide the drive a control over the software on when to stop the engine. Maybe bmw really think its software is smarter than our human intelligence.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #37
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benligang View Post
Anyone knows how long it idles in order to consume 1 gallon of gas ?

I think it is a good system on the restart part but I need to control when it stops, not the car. I hope bmw get rid of all these softwares, just leave a button there which is inactive by default. When I see the need to stop engine to save some gas, that is, when I think the wait time is going to be long enough to justify a stop/restart action, I will press the button to stop the car.

It's stupid to not to provide the drive a control over the software on when to stop the engine. Maybe bmw really think its software is smarter than our human intelligence.
You can already do this by using the brake pedal. If you touch it lightly as you are about to come to a standstill, ASS doesn't kick in, if you push firmly as you stop, ASS kicks in.

It's very easy to control but the system still gets it wrong too often and doesn't kick in when it should (e.g. after engine has been running for 1/2 an hour) and also does kick in when it shouldn't (e.g. cold start, 30 seconds into journey, blowers on)

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
javaxprt
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5

Hi All. Has anyone seen their auto start / stop feature still working under 37F 3C. Mine used to keep engine running if outside temps fell below these values, but now it shuts the engine even when it's cold. It started doing after service guys "recalibrated" something in the computer. I wonder whether it's an update from BMW or they just messed up my settings.

Appreciate any input.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #39
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I think it is an update. With mine, it behaves pretty different-odd sometimes- after 50,000 km service. For next time the car is in I will ask them to revert back to factory settings which was smarter .
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #40
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

This is the first diesel I've owned and my first car with stop/start and I really like this function. It works perfectly. it stops and restarts very quietly and promptly. It's nice to have no diesel engine noise or vibration when stopped at traffic lights and I also know that I'm not adding to air pollution. I'm also impressed with the fact that it just starts and goes when you need it too. I'm happy!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #41
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

On a recent trip into London and Stop/Start worked very well (used with Auto Hold as well). The one thing I did notice is that the Stop/Start system doesn't like quick on and then off times i.e. in London I pulled up quickly in a queue, Stop Start kicked in, when the queue moved a few feet, I came off the brake, engine fired up, 5 seconds later, stopped the car again. Stop/Start function would not activate.

I suspect there must be a minimum engine on timer in the logic to stop starter motor/ battery burn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by S70IP View Post
...It a BMW engine not Toyota or GM. It'll be fine.
I do not doubt other manufacturer's technical abilities when it comes to engine design. Some BMW engines have been known to have some rather nasty design flaws. The fact is that the Owner's manual cautions that the start/stop feature could cause premature wear on some components. You could check the guide for the exact wording but it's similar.
      01-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #43
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I suspect there must be a minimum engine on timer in the logic to stop starter motor/ battery burn out.
I think it is dependant on the revs reached (or speed) between one stop and the next; so if your gap allows you to reach say 10mph before stopping again, it will switch off. That’s my biggest objection to stop-start, as I can always regulate it not to switch off, but not for engine to stop when I want it to, and that’s the problem in nose-to-tail traffic which is increasingly the norm.

The fuel saving the system brings (idling engine fuel consumption is negligible and negated by extra fuel used to start the engine again, unless you are stationary for five minutes) is far out-weighted by extra usage and stress on the starter motor, and ultimately the expense of a new starter + fitting costs after x years of usage.

Increasingly, these technologies are used by OEMS to justify their “green credentials” rather than to bring real benefits to their customers. Run flat tyres are another bug-bear mainly benefitting the manufacturer by reducing their costs, allowing them to claim extra luggage space, providing a weight saving in the vehicle and so enabling a lower Co2 headline rating, with only a limited benefit to the end user. Having said that the frequency of punctures in normal driving conditions and non-developing countries is such that it could be justified, but I would prefer to have the option to have a spare wheel if I so wish. Also, to have a ‘last-mode’ default for stop-start, as is now the norm in the US for M models, or at least a facility for me to determine when I want the engine to definitely switch off, as in stop-go city driving conditions.
End of rant!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #44
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

My concern with this technology is with the added wear that will undoubtedly occur to the starter pinion and more importantly the flywheel ringear to which it has to engage during each start. I'm not sure what the projected average fuel saving will be over a three year period but I know that removing a gearbox to fit a new flywheel ring gear will be horrendously expensive. The fact that BMW actually prints an "increased risk of wear" disclaimer in the owners manual makes me more wary of embracing this innovation. If you open the bonnet and look at the engine (2.0D) when is is stopped and started there is a fair amount of movement absorbed by the engine mounts as well.

Sorry, I'm still sceptical and remain to be convinced of any real life benefits.
Appreciate 0