BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Problem: instrument panel / cluster gauges gone nuts

7900km and it seems my gauges have grown a mind of their own!

Was cruising along normally, when suddenly all gauges decided to freeze; KM/H, RPM, fuel economy, temperature & gas tank (not like the last 2 move much).

Stop on the side, turn car off completely and needles don't move. Turn car back on, needles still completely frozen. Awesome, nearly 4pm, in traffic, dealership closes somewhat early, closed all weekend... beautiful timing as always.

When I get home, stop car, decide to start it again for fun, gauges jerk a bit and well, they start working again, but with their "home" position being where they froze... I got for a drive around the block, and I'm now going 100+km/h, revving over 5500rpm (in sport mode), gas tank needle in a position that seems to want to leave the silver "ring"... I almost wanna laugh.

Call up dealership, they say they've never seen that and to bring it in Monday. Wish there was some type of reset possible, like unplug the battery or combination of buttons to reset to factory...

Guess that's officially my first problem with the X3
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Have you tried a reboot of the iDrive as detailed here http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593961
Bit of a long shot but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Interesting, please keep us posted on the findings.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Dechy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M

Ok, this didn't turn out the way I wanted, but I got to drive an X1 for a day as a loaner, so it wasn't a total let down.

Basically, by the time I got there this morning, all needles were back to normal. I had to drive the X3 about 5-6 (so ~10-12 start-stop cycles) times during the weekend, and almost every time I went through a "cycle", the needles would slowly go back down to normal position.

So I sorta "gained" (or lost, depending on how you look at it) 10KM/h, ~500RPM, 1/8th fuel tank, etc... on each cycle. I knew I was gonna look like an idiot Sunday night when all gauges except RPM were back to normal, RPM was about 500RPM off. Start the car this morning, everything nominal.......

All they could do is drive the car around, hook it up, check for faults, but nothing came up. I don't blame them, if I could of brought it in on Friday to at least show a service rep it would of made things more official, but it was late, had to go get the kids and it's anything but close to my house.

At least they fixed a weird clunking sound I had in the back every time I turned, it was a bunch of wired inside the tailgate that had come loose.

And like I mentioned, I got to drive an X1 with premium + convenience packages.
For the price, I don't get that SUV... much rather a 28i X3 with premium for less than 2k difference. The interior of the X1 has even more hard cheap plastic than the X3 (the whole bottom half of the dash for instance), no base iDrive, no electronic park/auto-hold, a really bad placement of the handbrake (it would hit & lift the center arm rest every damn time), the car is holy under-assisted in the steering department (like, I thought my 323GTX was bad back then...), base stereo is horrible to navigate & speakers are no where near as good as the base stereo in the X3. The bumps in the road I felt less than the X3, but that's to be expected in a 17" vs 19" comparison.

The look is whole subjective, but unless someone absolutely needs/wants an SUV that size, then I guess, ok, X1 is definitely smaller. But for everything else? The X1 has me confused, and happy I didn't wait out to see how it would fare.

Not saying it's a BAD SUV, just that looking at the final picture (44k VS 46k), the X1 seems overpriced. I got a feeling the Q3 will demolish it in nearly every aspect (just like the '11 X3 destroys almost everything about the Q5)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Problems like that are a PITA. Had some bizzare stuff with the X5 not long ago, and took several visits for the dealer to figure it out. As I've said before, BMW doesn't do a good job of engineering suitable testing capabilities into their cars for electronics.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0