BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Porsche Macan

Serious competition for X4 and X3? BMW will need to up its game

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cial-pictures/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Not in my opinion. I dont doubt it is mechanically a great car but the styling sucks, especially its big bolbous fat ass. I would not buy it simply because I do not at all like the way it looks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I know this is a BMW forum, but more info on Macan-
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2014...ws1_headline_1

I'm sticking with the X3. Regardless of looks or performance can't afford the extra £££ for the base diesel Porker.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

So my wife was interested in this car (has a X3 right now). They keep comparing it to the X3 and Q5, but there is no way you can compare them. It is the same length, 1.5 inches shorter (height), and 2 inches wider, weighs 100 pounds less, so it looks comparable. But CARGO space is HORRIBLE, 17.7 with seats up and 53 cubic ft with seats down. By comparison the X3 is ~29 with seats up and 63 with seats down. Q5 is a little less than X3, which is what shocked me, I figured the Macan would be about the same size as the Q5. The only car in the segment that compares in cargo space is the Evoque which actually offers more space with the seats up ~18 but only 50 cubic feet with seats down.

The other funny thing is the electric Blue color shown in all the promo shots for the Macan S, yeah not available when you configure the car!

You can build an Evoque or X3 35i pretty loaded to about $55K, the Macan with the same options is $68K, I know its a more powerful engine, but $13K more? I think I would take a SQ5 anyday over the Macan, same performance but fully loaded its about $60K and offers more cargo room.

Not sure what Porsche was thinking with this one, seems like they are going after the Infiniti EX (QX50) and evoque, the X3/Q5/GLK seemed like the market they should have targeted. I would love an X3 sized car with a little more luxury and power, but none exist.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Chip your X3...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
So my wife was interested in this car (has a X3 right now). They keep comparing it to the X3 and Q5, but there is no way you can compare them. It is the same length, 1.5 inches shorter (height), and 2 inches wider, weighs 100 pounds less, so it looks comparable. But CARGO space is HORRIBLE, 17.7 with seats up and 53 cubic ft with seats down. By comparison the X3 is ~29 with seats up and 63 with seats down. Q5 is a little less than X3, which is what shocked me, I figured the Macan would be about the same size as the Q5. The only car in the segment that compares in cargo space is the Evoque which actually offers more space with the seats up ~18 but only 50 cubic feet with seats down.

The other funny thing is the electric Blue color shown in all the promo shots for the Macan S, yeah not available when you configure the car!

You can build an Evoque or X3 35i pretty loaded to about $55K, the Macan with the same options is $68K, I know its a more powerful engine, but $13K more? I think I would take a SQ5 anyday over the Macan, same performance but fully loaded its about $60K and offers more cargo room.

Not sure what Porsche was thinking with this one, seems like they are going after the Infiniti EX (QX50) and evoque, the X3/Q5/GLK seemed like the market they should have targeted. I would love an X3 sized car with a little more luxury and power, but none exist.
Fully loaded, the SQ5 is about $67,000. That said, I test drove one and it's definitely a contender when the X3's lease is up in August. If I can get a good enough deal on a Macan, I might consider that, too.

As far as an X3 sized car with more luxury and power--you can get the SQ5, which has more power (about %15) and more luxury if you get the Comfort pack (better leather and more of it, vented seats, etc). Not to mention it's built much better than the X3.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
Fully loaded, the SQ5 is about $67,000. That said, I test drove one and it's definitely a contender when the X3's lease is up in August. If I can get a good enough deal on a Macan, I might consider that, too.

As far as an X3 sized car with more luxury and power--you can get the SQ5, which has more power (about %15) and more luxury if you get the Comfort pack (better leather and more of it, vented seats, etc). Not to mention it's built much better than the X3.
Yes I guess you are right about the SQ5 offering the extra power and luxury, but I just always liked the looks of the X3 more (especially with the M Sport package). Also when I said $60K I was really comparing a Macan to a SQ5 with the same options, with the same options as that $67K SQ5 the Macon would be $80K (and yes you can easily add $30K in options to it).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:38 AM   #8
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i
Quote:

How about the Alpina XD3

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/xd3
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #9
mac10
Private
England
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3 Bi-Turbo (SOLD)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post

Not available in the USA!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i
Quote:

How about the Alpina XD3

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-review/alpina/xd3
I live in the US, so an XD3 is not going to happen. Besides, my two X3s were problem stricken from day one. I'm likely not buying another. My 2009 A4 that I bought CPO last summer with 22,000 miles on it has fewer problems and shows fewer signs of wear than the 3 years newer X3. It has 38,000 miles on it now, and the X3 is pushing 25,000.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
definitely I would consider a base model if it has turbo4 with 6/7 spd manual and starting msrp under <$42K...which I think never happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #12
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Equipped the way I would want it (none of the silly frills like painted key fob or embroidered seats), it weighs in at $92K. For that money I'd be looking at the X5 or supercharged Range Rover Sport. I do like how it looks though...its way better than the earlier renderings I saw with the baby-Cayenne tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

The SQ5 doesn't appeal to me and neither does the X4. X5 is too big. Macan Turbo is intriguing but may be a bit too spendy when optioned out. My next car will be an M3, M4 or Porsche Macan Turbo without all the bells and whistles. Wish I could keep my X3 and get an M4 but I doubt I could swing that. Currently leaning heavily to M3. If BMW came out with an X3M, I'd be all over that, but that's years away, if ever, and I'm ready to buy in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Just played around with the configurator on Porsche Canada's website.
http://www.porsche.com/canada/en/mod...delrange=macan

Macan S starts $54k, Turbo starts $82k.

Very modestly optioned (fewer options than my X3), I'm already at $65k before freight/pdi/other bs fees + 5% GST.

A little too pricey to me for marginal performance gain and a Porsche crest.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
groovyone789
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 xdrive40i

The cargo area is impacted way too much by the sloping roof line. Could never keep my dog back there... not even a future option IMO. Might as well have the Panamera for similar utility.
Appreciate 0