BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
View Poll Results: Which Rotors do you use and why?
Blank / OEM 17 85.00%
Cross Drilled 0 0%
Slotted 2 10.00%
Slotted & Cross Drilled 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

01-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Brake Rotors - Blank, Cross Drilled, Slotted, both and why?

Time to get some new rotors for the X3 and see all kinds of options out there. And in doing some internet searches you find as many who are pro that are con for each type of rotor, so just curious what you all are using and why you chose them.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Bufalo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Unless you prefer the aesthetics of a drilled rotor, plain is the best from any standpoint. There is no functional advantage to a slotted or especially a drilled rotor on any passenger vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
dreaming440i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufalo View Post
Unless you prefer the aesthetics of a drilled rotor, plain is the best from any standpoint. There is no functional advantage to a slotted or especially a drilled rotor on any passenger vehicle.
I second this. If you're racing, the slots and/or holes can help with cooling. (Although some will even argue about that!) But today's ventilated rotors are more than good enough for the heat from any type of street or highway driving. As for stopping power, stock pads and rotors are more than strong enough to trigger the ABS, and after that it's all about tire traction.

But, cosmetically, slotted/drilled rotors with painted calipers LOOK like they're higher performance! Kinda like splitters, spoilers, vortex tabs, black trim, and carbon fiber anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:54 AM   #4
PerryGunn
Idiot-in-chief
Rep
Drives: around: in: circles:

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingX3 View Post
....today's ventilated rotors are more than good enough for the heat from any type of street or highway driving. As for stopping power, stock pads and rotors are more than strong enough to trigger the ABS, and after that it's all about tire traction.
+1 on this

The brakes don't stop the car, the tyres do!

Each tyre has a maximum amount of braking force that can be applied through it's contact patch, this is dictated by the weight over the tyre and the coefficient of friction of the rubber, if you exceed that amount the wheel will lock and the tyre will slide.

With virtually any modern set of OEM disk brakes the braking forces that can be generated by the standard setup is more than enough to overcome the braking forces that can be generated by the (road) tyres - hence the ubiquitous presence of ABS systems.
      01-25-2018, 03:21 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

If you fit brake pads/rotors other than OEM, then you are wasting your money.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
If you fit brake pads/rotors other than OEM, then you are wasting your money.
Thanks for the well thought out and fully supported argument with facts reinforcing your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Thanks for the well thought out and fully supported argument with facts reinforcing your opinion.
So............

It was based on the previous poster's comments concerning tyre contact patch, so why do I need to repeat what he said?

Please re read his very valid statement again. So I repeat, "spending extra money on brakes other than OEM on the X3 is a complete waste of money"
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
So............

It was based on the previous poster's comments concerning tyre contact patch, so why do I need to repeat what he said?

Please re read his very valid statement again. So I repeat, "spending extra money on brakes other than OEM on the X3 is a complete waste of money"
If the performance of drilled and/or slotted rotors is no worse than blanks/oem and you can get them at a lower price than blanks/oem, then is it still a waste of money? Is there a disadvantage to drilled and/or slotted rotors?

And if you are referencing someone else's comments as the basis for your comment, you should actually reference them when making your comment so as not to look like you are talking out of your...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If the performance of drilled and/or slotted rotors is no worse than blanks/oem and you can get them at a lower price than blanks/oem, then is it still a waste of money? Is there a disadvantage to drilled and/or slotted rotors?

And if you are referencing someone else's comments as the basis for your comment, you should actually reference them when making your comment so as not to look like you are talking out of your...
najnad

Please get over yourself. You obviously do not like the fact that close on 90% of X3 owners use stock. I am sorry you do not like the facts from your poll!

Oh...Please do not lecture people on how to post. I have been on this planet long enough to know how to go about it. By the way I am currently on vacation in "The Gambia" where my Wi-Fi connection is between poor and non existent, where 5 attempts get me a truncated answer.

Enough said!

Last edited by Peter_R; 01-25-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Quote:
yes drilled and slotted rotors wear your pads faster. They are also prone to cracking, they have less thermal capacity, they are noisier and they can get clogged with mud and debris if you actually go off-roading.

There is some advantage in the rain and some may cool a little better and would be lower weight. Mostly it's about the looks.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #11
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Toss on some Hawk HPS pads with OEM rotors and call it a day. You'll think you've installed a BBK.

Last edited by Riick; 01-25-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Bufalo124.00
      01-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryGunn View Post
+1 on this

The brakes don't stop the car, the tyres do!

Each tyre has a maximum amount of braking force that can be applied through it's contact patch, this is dictated by the weight over the tyre and the coefficient of friction of the rubber, if you exceed that amount the wheel will lock and the tyre will slide.

With virtually any modern set of OEM disk brakes the braking forces that can be generated by the standard setup is more than enough to overcome the braking forces that can be generated by the (road) tyres - hence the ubiquitous presence of ABS systems.
Well heck..if all I need are tires I'm taking my rotors/calipers etc off to save weight.

Slotted rotors dissipate gases and heat caused by heavy braking. Slotted AND Drilled are mostly cosmetic and used to have cracks where they were drilled. The Tech has caught up and are now cast this way and safer but I believe having both is a waste and more of a 'look' than function. The stock ones on my X3 suck so I'd upgrade the rotors and the pads above OEM. My stock system on my 4 series are amazing..less weight to haul down plus just a better system imo.