BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 X3 35i

Smile Quick impressions on X3 28i

After test driving the X3 35i, I was eager to try the naturally aspirated engine in the 28i. Last Saturday I was given that opportunity. As I wrote previously, the 35i was simply exhilarating. But in last year's models, the lower model did not deserve much consideration for me. Would the 28i succeed in providing a suitable option to the higher priced 35i?

In short, yes - at least to me. It was a very pleasant surprise and although I have ordered a 35i, I must say that I would have been pleased even if I had ordered a 28i.

I must apologize for the lack of pictures: the dealership was very busy on Saturday so I decided to devote the time I had to driving instead of taking pictures. I will make up for this though, as soon as my X3 arrives. Currently, it is in Toronto waiting for a rail car to Regina... I hope it comes soon and when it does I'll post a few more pictures, and the comparison with Performance Control and Dynamic Damper Control.

I drove a base 28i, black exterior with beige leatherette interior, equipped with the following: ZNF Premium Package (3XL X-Line Package, 402 Panorama Sunroof, 430 Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors, 431 Auto Dimming Interior Mirror, 508 Park Distance Control and 522 Bi-Xenon Headlights); 3AH Rear View Camera With Top View; and 3AT Satin Aluminum Roof Rails.

I boarded the X3 with my wife and a friend. I expected a very different experience from my previous test drive.

i don't know what the BMW engineers did to this car, but I was very impressed! There is plenty of power for everyday driving, and this 28i was even quieter than the 35i. I could have a normal conversation with both passengers at highway speed (and maybe a bit more) at a normal volume. Yes, I missed the turbo noise; but the feeling I got from the 28i was one of centered calm and quiet power. Braking, cornering, and turning were almost identical. So were steering and suspensions. The engine was more sedate, maybe, but very lively still. With the gearshift in sport mode, the power was there, ready at my disposal. What I missed was the sudden push of a fully engaged turbo - but that is not the point of the 28i.

I came back from the test drive very pleased about the 28i. This is a car that inspires confidence, powerful enough to conquer snow and fun enough to give you a thrill, but well behaved and supremely controllable. I am still convinced that the 35i is the car for me. My friend, on the other hand, is ordering a 28i for himself. And if our cars match the test models, we'll both be very, very happy.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
A
I drove a base 28i, black exterior with beige leatherette interior,
Hi, how was the leatherette in your opinion? Was it leather like? Soft to touch? Comfortable? Did it look fake in beige?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Luckily we have nevada leather as standard in the UK

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

My only issue is when in I guess triptronic or whatever BMW calls it. To go up in gears you shift down, and to go down in gears you shift up. Total opposite from my cayenne and from what your brain would think? Higher = up, lower = down, wouldn't you think??

What color are you looking at? I am going in Friday to finalize my order, stuck between mineral silver/titanium silver or space gray..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

My first X3 ('05) had leatherette while my current ('08) has Nevada leather. As a comparison I can say that the visual difference isn't much until you get up close, but will likely fool any untrained eye. Comfort-wise of course the Nevada is softer and quite a bit more comfortable. However, the biggest difference is leather's ability to breath, or perhaps leatherette's inability. This makes a huge difference, especially on a hot day or a long drive. The days of getting out of the car with my shirt sticking to my back are over! I'll never go back to leatherette for this reason alone. Buyer beware!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
My only issue is when in I guess triptronic or whatever BMW calls it. To go up in gears you shift down, and to go down in gears you shift up. Total opposite from my cayenne and from what your brain would think? Higher = up, lower = down, wouldn't you think??

What color are you looking at? I am going in Friday to finalize my order, stuck between mineral silver/titanium silver or space gray..
That's what paddles are for!

This is what helped me get used to it - just think of a stick shift (which I assume BMW had in mind when designing the steptronic). Higher gears are always straight down, lower always straight up. After the last 6 years using this design, everything else seems backwards to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Hi, how was the leatherette in your opinion? Was it leather like? Soft to touch? Comfortable? Did it look fake in beige?
Leatherette is fine in winter; it looks like a mixture of leather and cloth and the overall appearance is pleasing because it is not trying to look like leather.

Having said that, I am a fan of genuine leather. I agree with Tauvil about sticky plastic, especially for a car like the X3 that has no remote starter. Yes, you can program the A/C and yes, if you have an iPhone and the appropriate contract you can activate cooling before you board but... this is not a general option.

In Canada, leather is a $1,900 option. I am happy to have selected it and I grew accustomed to it in the last ten years. If you can afford it, it is a very nice comfort option. I would even have paid for the ventilated seats if the X3 had them...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
Here's my order:

X3 35i
Interior: Nevada Back
Exterior: Black Sapphire Metallic
ZNE Technology Package
609 BMW On-Board Navigation
639 BMW Assist with Bluetooth
6AA BMW TeleServices
6AB Control BMW TeleServices
6NL BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth
6VC Combox controller
ZNI Premium Package
316 Automatic Trunk
322 Comfort Access
3XL X-Line Package
402 Panorama Sunroof
430 Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors
431 Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
508 Park Distance Control
ZNJ Executive Package
319 Universal Remote Control
3AH Rear View Camera With Top View
488 Lumbar Support
563 Lights Package
655 SIRIUS Satellite Radio Tuner
677 HiFi Sound System Professional
ZNR Dynamic Comfort Package
223 Dynamic Damper Control
2VG Performance Control Includes Dynamic Driving Control Modes (Normal, Sport, Sport+)
The production was completed at the end of Dec, but apparently labeled week 1 of 2011. The car is on its way and I hope it'll be here in about 10 days. I'm really looking forward to it.

I have seen Space Grey and I like it, but I prefer sapphire black. I have not seen the other colors so I went with a proven standard. Apparently, my car will be the first one to arrive in Saskatchewan so for a little while I'll enjoy the "one in a million" status even with a more standard color
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Leatherette is fine in winter; it looks like a mixture of leather and cloth and the overall appearance is pleasing because it is not trying to look like leather.

Having said that, I am a fan of genuine leather. I agree with Tauvil about sticky plastic, especially for a car like the X3 that has no remote starter. Yes, you can program the A/C and yes, if you have an iPhone and the appropriate contract you can activate cooling before you board but... this is not a general option.

In Canada, leather is a $1,900 option. I am happy to have selected it and I grew accustomed to it in the last ten years. If you can afford it, it is a very nice comfort option. I would even have paid for the ventilated seats if the X3 had them...
thanks for the info. I am curious, in leatherette beige, were the interior plastics also beige color like with the Dakota leather beige color interior?

Last edited by Bimar; 01-27-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #10
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
thanks for the info. I am Curitiba, in leatherette beige, were the interior plastics also beige color like with the Dakota leather beige color interior?
Yes they were. I thought I would not like it, but I did.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes they were. I thought I would not like it, but I did.
one last one, it had the contrast stitching like Nevada leather?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
jijioben
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Contrasting stitching in the leatherette... Hmmm....

That I do not remember. If I have a chance to go to the dealership again before my delivery, I'll double check. I think that it would have stood out and I'd have noticed if the seats had contrasting stitching, but since I have them in my Edge, I have gotten used to them and did not check them.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

My impression of the X328i was that its a nice ride improvement with a much improved interior over the previous, but:
1. Steering wasn't very snappy- felt somewhat dulled/muted
2. Still not much utility/space for the $ IMO
3. Handling was just OK- actually induced understeer when making a spirited maneuver- quicker than I would have expected. From the seat of my pants the Q5 2.0T (although down on power and a bit of space felt somewhat more buttoned/connected/tossable.
4. Disappointing EPA figures for the 28i

I'm still waiting for my X1 diesel. Hopefully we get it before my kid starts college in about 18 years If Audi somehow musters up a Q5 or A4 diesel first I'd be tempted to go there so hurry up Motorwerke!
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car

Last edited by Monterra; 02-10-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 0