BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Driving assitant plus failure

Hi everyone,

I was driving to the office this morning, Under a very hard rain (almost similar to the rain falls that happened in France and in Italy this weekend). After 30 km in these kind of condition, the following messages appeared on the screen of the navigation system.
1) Proximity warning deactivated. If the car is driving too close to another car, the system won't beep. limited objects recognition. Check sensor and clean it.
2) security distance information deactivated. Information of security distance is no more available. limited objects recognition. Check sensor and clean it.

What is strange IMO, the car is total cleaned considering all the rain that the car received this morning during this drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

That sucks, let's us know what the dealer says
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

This can be also normal on those extreme weather conditions. On my previous 5-series, one or two times I got similar message during heavy rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:34 PM   #4
coolesnce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out

This happens to me everyday on my way to work. I took it to the dealer and they said that when the sensor/ camera is blinded for a set amount of time that the warning message will go off to give the driver a heads up hat the conditions are not allowing the driving assistant to do its job optimally. For me the cause is the sun is rising in the direction i drive to work so that it blinds the camera for 25 min or so. When i get off the freeway and the sn is not at that angle that hits the cameras dead on the sensor is working again even though the red exclamation is still showing. The dealer said that BMW is aware of this, but it is a limitation that the camera/ sensors have at this time. I also get your warnings plus Pedestrian warning is disabled ( or something to that effect.)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 05:29 AM   #5
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Hi Everyone,

yes you are right, it is a limitation due to the heavy rain that I had yesterday morning. I just checked in the manual and it is mentioned that due to heavy rain, strong fog, or snowfall the system will be limited.
And yesterday while driving back home, I had no more this problem.

After 5 weeks and 4'444 km with my car, I was totally used to drive with the driving assistant plus feature. I worked pretty well. Managed to avoid me two accidents. I m quite amazed how it work well, on highways, on montain's roads, or on countryside's roads. In cities, except in traffic jam situations I do not use it. It recognizes well, cars and bicycles.
But that is correct I did not had a very heavy rain situation until yesterday. I will be aware of it in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Sarsippius3rd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
This happens to me everyday on my way to work. I took it to the dealer and they said that when the sensor/ camera is blinded for a set amount of time that the warning message will go off to give the driver a heads up hat the conditions are not allowing the driving assistant to do its job optimally. For me the cause is the sun is rising in the direction i drive to work so that it blinds the camera for 25 min or so. When i get off the freeway and the sn is not at that angle that hits the cameras dead on the sensor is working again even though the red exclamation is still showing. The dealer said that BMW is aware of this, but it is a limitation that the camera/ sensors have at this time. I also get your warnings plus Pedestrian warning is disabled ( or something to that effect.)
You need sunglasses for your camera and sensor!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

Wish I had opted for Driver Assistance Plus. The only package I did not go for.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
coolesnce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius3rd View Post
You need sunglasses for your camera and sensor!
Good one Sarsippius3rd..lol I was actually thinking of putting a tinted polarized film over the cameras, then i realized..eeehhh...lol
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Does this affect surround view too? I forgot to tick the driver assist option which I regret given the info I know now.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #10
coolesnce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Does this affect surround view too? I forgot to tick the driver assist option which I regret given the info I know now.
No it doesnt affect the surround view or front and rear view, just affects the adavnced warning features
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No it doesnt affect the surround view or front and rear view, just affects the adavnced warning features
Had some heavy rain, the dirt gets in the camera and get blurry, a simple wipe and ok.

Is the drive assist option that helpful or more of a pain with the beeping etc
Appreciate 0