BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

fogged up windshield

Does your windshield get fogged up easily? What steps have you taken to resolve this?

Climate control is set to auto (recycle air is set to auto as well). The window will show a slight fog on the windshield when it is humid or raining. I can see out, so it isn't as much a safety issue as it is annoying. I tried the front defogger, but the issue hasn't gone away. I tried washing the window, but that doesn't seem to solve the issue. Any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

That is bizarre. Make sure your A/C compressor is on first (little snowflake button all the way on the right side of the button panel). With the A/C on it should remove the humidity rather quickly. You could try switching the recirculate button to outside air rather than recirculating the inside air. This way you're pulling in fresh air from the outside.

FWIW, I have not seen that happen on our X3. Even during the winter months.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I've not seen that issue here in Seattle where it rains a lot. We typically leave the AC enabled at all times. If your air recirculation is in auto mode and you're moving, you should be fine there. It's only when it senses exhaust fumes (stopped behind a car at a traffic light) that it will trigger the recirculation mode to reduce fumes in the cabin in auto mode. the HVAC system is supposedly programmed to respond to condensation and address it, so this is unusual. If the AC is not enabled, then it can't respond to the moisture.
      06-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

You must keep the A/C on to remove humidity from the air. Even in the winter you can still engage AC with heat running to defog
      06-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep

The AC is running and the car is cool. The little snow flake is lit as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Well, that's tricky then. Might be a problem with AC compressor. Problem is, I bet it would be hard to show the dealer unless you somehow timed it just right.

If you put the front defrost on full power it doesn't even make a dent in the fog?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep

it doesn't make a dent, but it also does not fog up to where I can't see. I can see the road clearly at night, but as a direct street light or on coming headlights hit it you can see the fog.
Appreciate 0