BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Rattles & Clunks

Approaching 2000 miles now on my X3, and have noticed an increase in rattles and noises as I drive around. Of course the may be linked to parts in the car and maybe I can do something about it.. so thought i'd post.

1. Main is sounds like its coming from the rear. Like I have a bag of pipes or tunes and tools in a bag.. each bump a metal clunking noise.
2. Passenger Door has a rattle inside.

Anyone got anything similar, or is this just normal for such a car?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Approaching 2000 miles now on my X3, and have noticed an increase in rattles and noises as I drive around. Of course the may be linked to parts in the car and maybe I can do something about it.. so thought i'd post.

1. Main is sounds like its coming from the rear. Like I have a bag of pipes or tunes and tools in a bag.. each bump a metal clunking noise.

The passenger door rattle is most likely the door lock (which can be fixed) OR the panel is missing some noise insulation tape. I'm bringing my car in for a series of rattles this week or next. I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
rohan_b79
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw X3 xdrive35i

I too have a 2011 X35i (sports+premium+cold weather)with 8000 miles on it. I can hear a rattle inside the driver side door panel, but for the longest time could not figure out the exact cause. Then today while driving when I pushed against the leather padding on the door I could hear the same sound and it was as if there was a gap in between the padding and whatever is behind it. So you are probably right about he insulation tape being needed.

A second source of rattle is the speaker-grill in the center of the dash. And finally a third source of rattle is the passenger side either a/c vent or the surrounding dash area.

Does anyone else have these especially the occasional speaker-grill rattle?

-Rohan
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

I had a metal clunk in the boot area. Happened over bumps and when cornering reasonably hard. Figured it must be the boot door moving slightly and a quick squirt of lube in the door lock mechanism and over the metal hook on the door fixed it.

I too had the speaker grill issue. Mine was more of a rattle. Dealer fixed that one. Don't know what they did though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I have the center dash speaker "creek" and some tin can rattling sound coming from the rear drivers side. I have yet to figure that one out. The trunk cover is out so it is not that....still looking for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My trunk cover is sitting on the floor in the back seat because I can't stand the creaking noise which the dealer tells me is normal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
My trunk cover is sitting on the floor in the back seat because I can't stand the creaking noise which the dealer tells me is normal.
My 'trunk / boot' cover didnt creak until I removed it and re-installed booooo

Also intermittent creak to rh of steering wheel, speed dependant, solution = loader music

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibmwx3 View Post
Yeah, mine has been out since the first day because of the creaking noise. This noise is also coming from the rear and almost sounds like a piece of tin foil vibrating when I hit a bump. It's making me nuts. Thank god for music to drown it out!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

yep.... having same issue with my trunk cover as well... really irritating i have to say
      10-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

If it is the same problem I have fixed the boot/d pillar creak.

1. I slid some felt (bought from a craft shop and cut into a strip) between the d pillar and where the trunk cover fixture meet. This fixed the vast majority of the noise.

2. A quiet squirt of Teflon spray between the fixture and the black plastic cover that sits between it, the d pillar and seat. Gave it a quick wobble to let the spray drip down slightly. Needed a couple of goes at this but now silent.

I might sound like a squeak freak and that it probably right. The vast majority come from movement between a couple of plastic parts so easily fixed if tracked down and you can gain access.

Good luck all!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post

1. I slid some felt (bought from a craft shop and cut into a strip) between the d pillar and where the trunk cover fixture meet. This fixed the vast majority of the noise.

2. A quiet squirt of Teflon spray between the fixture and the black plastic cover that sits between it, the d pillar and seat. Gave it a quick wobble to let the spray drip down slightly. Needed a couple of goes at this but now silent.

I might sound like a squeak freak and that it probably right. The vast majority come from movement between a couple of plastic parts so easily fixed if tracked down and you can gain access.

Good luck all!
Sounds like a job for the missus

Was thinking along the same lines and will give it a try

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
ILuvMy335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.0d Msport

I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.
      10-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post

Not being funny here but are you sure that point 1 isn't caused by the numerous tools that BMW supply with the vehicle? There are some stashed in the side compartments as well as under the floor.
      11-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
Coreyn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
Thank you for posting your fix. I have been hearing for about 500 miles now and its all i think about when i get in my x-3. She has about 4200 miles now and all i can think about is the stinking noise coming from the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post
I managed to fix the rear rattle over bumps. It drove me insane to the point that I asked a friend to sit in the trunk and identify the source...it was the tailgate! The noise was tin / metal like knocking every time I drove over a hard enough bump. Especially loud when there was a bit of body flex. I tried everything prior to the fix below including stripping and removing tools, covers etc. The fix is as follows:

If you open the tailgate you will notice that there are 2 black rubber stoppers on the body just above the tail lights. These stoppers are adjustable. I've noticed that if the differential adjustment is such that one side of the tailgate is slightly higher than the other, that the weight of the tailgate causes the clunk when the body moves in just the right way. I experiement by adjusting the stoppers a few times and voila - after 3 or 4 times, noise was gone.

The only noise - now have is a light bizz/ rattle when I take off and sometimes at speed. Seems to be centre speaker or somewhere around that area.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

After 5,000 km (3,000 miles), the only noise I have is a squeaking drivers seat which I've had from almost new. Haven't had the time to take it in yet.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
Coreyn
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
2014 BMW X-3  [0.00]
THANKS GUYS!!! The tip worked like a charm. No more rattles coming from the rear!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #17
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Firstly, big thanks for posting all the replies..

I was talking to someone else in an X5 at work, who heard it and said it was exactly what people have said, the tailgate. The dealer on their car put some blue stuff that left marks where it was rubbing so they could fix it.

Sounds like the stoppers / oil in the lock may be the way to go..

Re the tools... that had been one of the first things, and they are nicely wrapped up in a plastic wallet in the side and not moving it, but thanks for all the suggestions.

Luckily sounds like its fixable.

I was worrying it was the luggage rear separation net which I had raised a few times and had no idea how that would be fixed.

The only thing I need to remember now.. this car is somewhat higher than my last car.. as I found out when I opened the driver door against a huge flagstone kerb to hear crrruuunnch as the door scrapped across it.. wasn't a happy bunny, but so far I can't see any visible damage, and think its underside rather than cosmetic.. but I've not washed it yet which is when you see it
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
degarfs
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvMy335i View Post

Did the light buzzing sound from the centre speaker resolved or gone away?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
tangbb6
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 28i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
After 5,000 km (3,000 miles), the only noise I have is a squeaking drivers seat which I've had from almost new. Haven't had the time to take it in yet.

Tony
I have the same problem. Very annoying. Only driver's seat. Tried re-adjusting the seat position. Went away for awhile, but eventually came back again.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #20
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O

Good luck all!
Would you be able to post a couple of pics showing clearly where you applied the felt and Teflon spray?

It would be most appreciated by myself and I'm sure quite a few others with this issue!

Thanks
      05-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #21
plob
Private
Rep
Drives: 650i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
Would you be able to post a couple of pics showing clearly where you applied the felt and Teflon spray?

It would be most appreciated by myself and I'm sure quite a few others with this issue!

Thanks
+1
I have exactly the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #22
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

I hear and feel a clunk from the front suspension when I drive over a small hump with great angle on the frontwheels. It sounds like something is loose in the steeringcolumn or the suspension..
Appreciate 0