BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
mhouck
Rep
Drives: VW Golf TDI

Manual Versus Automatic...

Looking at getting a used 2008 X3 and looking for comments on manual versus the automatic.
Both family vehicles are currently manuals (VW's) as myself and my wife enjoy the manual experience. I see most X3's out there are automatics...
Any comments on performance, mileage, reliability, etc. would be appreciated.
Thx

Last edited by mhouck; 04-11-2010 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
LANDOFOZ
TRAVELLER
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0Diesel

Here in Australia, the 2008 auto works very well. It has the option of using the gears manually - ie, the best of both worlds. I use the manual option in mountain country, and the auto on our long, flat country.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
al_macaroni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 3.0si, G35x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouck View Post
Looking at getting a used 2008 X3 and looking for comments on manual versus the automatic.
Both family vehicles are currently manuals (VW's) as myself and my wife enjoy the manual experience. I see most X3's out there are automatics...
Any comments on performance, mileage, reliability, etc. would be appreciated.
Thx
Some 2007 and newer automatic X3 experience shifting issues. I have an automatic '08 and have not had any problems. But, if you are thinking about a manual shift X3, go that route and you definetely won't have any tranny issues.
You can do an Internet or forum search on e83 X3 LCI automatic transmission issues for more information.

The performance is very good for a SUV. It handles like a BMW sedan, but it is a bit heavier and taller than a 3-series car. It does have a performance oriented (stiff) ride. Acceleration and braking are very good. The X3 handles, accelerates and stops better than many of the midsize sedans on the road today.

I am averaging over 20 MPG in combined driving. The xdrive awd system has been great in rain and snow even with the OE all season tires. I have not had any reliability issues.

The X3 uses older BMW electronics technology and interior materials that were used in the previous 3-series car. The car still works fine, but you are not going to have the latest and greatest features. A new style x3 is scheduled to be coming out soon, so you might be able to get some deals on the current styling.

Good luck car hunting.
BMW CCA #422951
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
rsa777
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 MT

I have a manual with sport suspension option. It is a blast. Can't wait for the new turbo version to come out. I pray they keep the manual option or I'll be looking elsewhere. That's how much fun this is.
Appreciate 0