BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
elbertc
Philippines
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 20d, e87 120d bluefin

Auto Start Stop malfunction

I had a small technical glitch with the F25.

It was an Auto Start-Stop malfunction and although I was by the curb, I was in a busy tow-away zone. The car didn't restart when I released the brake pedal, so I pressed the start/stop button, which I think caused the problem. It's possible that it was compounded with the fact that my front passenger opened the door to alight the vehicle.

Nothing I did after that would make the car start. When I would depress the start/stop, the iDrive would say "not possible to continue of journey" (or something like that) with the symbol of the car on lifters.

It's as if the car was confused, not allowing me to start the car because the system believed that the ignition was on. I guess it was like in a suspended "stop" state.

I was starting to panic, calling a friend who also has an F25 and the service manager of my dealership. No one had an answer. I almost reached for the battery terminals when I decided to try one last option, after 10 minutes of frantically trying to figure things out.

The solution that finally worked was to exit the car, lock the doors and wait for the car to go to "sleep".

If there's one thing I realized that with the new F-series cars and their wireless key fobs, its that as long as the key is within range and the doors aren't locked, it's the equivalent of a traditional key in the ACC position. It takes 3 minutes after the doors are locked for the car's electricals to completely switch off. I know because that's how long it takes for my Garmin, which is plugged into the 12v DC, to switch off.

Damn these modern electronics!

Hope this helps should you find yourself in a similar position
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Wow that is in no way a minor error that can be chalked up as an annoyance. Had you been in local traffic or stop-and-go on the freeway, things could have gotten very, very ugly. Be sure to take your car into the dealer and make sure they investigate this thoroughly, although I don't envy you the task. Hopefully the fault was logged on the key fob (or wherever they log them) so that they can find the root cause and eradicate the bug! I think that the next item below dental work on my "things-I-reserve-the-word-HATE-for" list is going to dealerships to reproduce problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
X3emist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M/Sport

Yet one more example of some design geek getting frisky and cute with useless "features". The Germans are notorious for coming up with fancy systems that don't work well and have consequences that no one thought about on the front end in their exuberance to roll out some fancy but potentially troublesome feature.
      06-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
For stop start being "around so long" on BMW's, sure doesn't sound like they got things right yet:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684964

Glad I have a 2011 X3 without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
elbertc
Philippines
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 20d, e87 120d bluefin

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the Auto Start Stop feature. It just glitched on me once, that's all. My F25 X3 20d has chalked up over 10,000kms and I've been loving every single bit about it since I started using it.

Last edited by elbertc; 06-15-2012 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
phil17
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLK

as a lurker who's in the market for an X3 to replace my glk, i must say I am a little shocked at the overall "attitude" on this board. lol. i guess it's the BMW owner syndrom
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil17 View Post
as a lurker who's in the market for an X3 to replace my glk, i must say I am a little shocked at the overall "attitude" on this board. lol. i guess it's the BMW owner syndrom
There are only a few bad apples on the boards and while they do make things more "difficult", you just have to take them with a grain of salt! Welcome to the boards! There is a lot of useful info here.
Appreciate 0