BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Variable Damper Control (VDC) Order or not ?

Having had VDC on my 5Series I decided not to order on my X3 not really based on any sound sense other than saving myself close to £1k and that my perception of never really using it on the 5 because I always left it set in Normal.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts and may change my order and spec the VDC.

Just wondered if anyone has driven with and without on an X3 or whether anyone can point me to any decent review that goes a little deeper than saying that its great.

Also can anyone tell me what happens to the VDC when 'eco pro' mode is selected ? Does it stay in normal mode with the added eco stuff ?

Thanks

MS
      03-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

Hi,

I originally drove a q5 and the drive was very harsh, having previously owned Audi's I was disappointed.

I then test drove a M Sport with the 19" alloys without VDC, I liked it but just thought the ride was a touch too harsh for day to day mixed use so ordered the VDC on my M-Sport. As far as I'm concerned its been great and worth the money. In eco-pro and Comfort the settings are changed and very comfortable then in Sport and Sport+ you can feel the suspension tighten up considerably, best of both worlds really.

Plus the dampers change accordingly unlike the normal or sports suspension and I much prefer this active system.

I have to admit I'm not one for buying loads of options normally but for me I bought the car for comfort purposes as I do a lot of miles and also for my family.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

The setting in Comfort and Eco Pro mode are the same.

I still think it's worth it, even when you're not changing the setting you still get a better ride quality with the advanced dampers. Because they aren't trying to reach a balance between sport and comfort all the time, the adjustability allows them to be more comfortable on comfort mode and sportier in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

I had a 5 series which had VDC and it convinced me to get it on my X3 MSport which was delivered two weeks ago. It was a good move as far as I am concerned. The suspension settings are comfort, sport and sport+. In Eco Pro mode the suspension setting remains in comfort. Comfort mode makes for smooth driving an soaks up bumps. Sport mode firms up the suspension noticeably and keeps the X3 firmly planted on winding roads. Probably one of the few options worth the money and likely to enhance residuals.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think the thing that people overlook is that the X3 has big sidewalls so even with runflats and 19s it's not as harsh as the a saloon or coupe.

I have sports suspension, 19" alloys, perf control, servotronic steering and no VDC and don't regret not getting it *. I don't like the floaty steering and feel that comes with the softer ride (like driving a bus) but each to their own and it's a very subjective topic

* I am curious about it though and might be won over if I tried it and liked it

The reviews are mostly useless as they all seem to get given an X3 with VDC and then tell you it's a must have despite having never driven an X3 without it.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Thanks for the replies everyone .... good point about the Tyres hadn't really considered the difference there .... I'm also now having second thoughts about leaving out the pan roof even though I hardly used it before !

MS
      03-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Booty
Enjoying it!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0D M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I think the thing that people overlook is that the X3 has big sidewalls so even with runflats and 19s it's not as harsh as the a saloon or coupe.

I have sports suspension, 19" alloys, perf control, servotronic steering and no VDC and don't regret not getting it *. I don't like the floaty steering and feel that comes with the softer ride (like driving a bus) but each to their own and it's a very subjective topic

* I am curious about it though and might be won over if I tried it and liked it

The reviews are mostly useless as they all seem to get given an X3 with VDC and then tell you it's a must have despite having never driven an X3 without it.
A very fair point. Tried it with and without and went for the without on my order. It's so difficult with so many options and few chances to try things out on demonstrators.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Can't say anything from experience with VDC in the X3. But I certainly find the adaptive systems are far more refined than a passive suspension, and expand the working envelope of any suspension system.

Having now lived with Adaptive Drive for 6-months in the F11, I find the ability to drive a wider range of road quality with much greater refinement has proven to be the right decision. Plus the added ability to choose the suspension 'mode' to suite my driving mood, has enhanced the driving experience.

As has been said, it is not just the base choice of setting, but the adaptive 'on the fly' function which is a major advancement in suspensions, following the "skyhook principle". As BMW says, something along the lines of, "as soft as possible, firm when necessary".

Personally I believe VDC is a cheap way to add refinement to any vehicle. Perhaps I've got hooked, as I fitted Koni Frequency Selective Dampers to my E91 330d, which enhanced the ride and handling due to widening the working parameters of the dampers. Less conflict and compromises. So my benchmark for standard BMW offerings is now much higher.

I know appraising a suspension is very subjective to individual users, but refinement and working envelope are not, can be measured, VDC definitely expands suspension performance, albeit different. Whether we like its feel, or see its benefits, that is another issue.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy577 View Post
Hi,

I originally drove a q5 and the drive was very harsh, having previously owned Audi's I was disappointed.

I then test drove a M Sport with the 19" alloys without VDC, I liked it but just thought the ride was a touch too harsh for day to day mixed use so ordered the VDC on my M-Sport. As far as I'm concerned its been great and worth the money. In eco-pro and Comfort the settings are changed and very comfortable then in Sport and Sport+ you can feel the suspension tighten up considerably, best of both worlds really.

Plus the dampers change accordingly unlike the normal or sports suspension and I much prefer this active system.

I have to admit I'm not one for buying loads of options normally but for me I bought the car for comfort purposes as I do a lot of miles and also for my family.
On BMW's the suspensions loosen up slightly with time so one cannot tell with a test drive unless the car has several thousand miles on it. On our X3 I went the standard suspension. My 5er has the VDC and I found comfort mode to be useless and too floaty.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #10
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

With about 300 miles on my X3 with VDC, I can say good things about it. It has taken a bit for the suspension to soften to a nice level and on a real bumpy street, the X3 in Comfort mode was still firm but forgiving of the ruts and bumps. Sport mode is definitely more firm but I've not played with it much.

Unfortunately I do not have a direct comparison to non VDC equipped X3s but I'd say VDC is worth it if for nothing else, the range of adjustment to taste.

@Pharding, I agree the F10 550i I drove was too soft in Comfort. Barely firm enough in Norm. The X3 Comfort setting is still rather firm but it does take bumps and ruts without jarring the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Among BMW's high-priced options, I think VDC is one of the best values. Mine rides like a dream. There are some closely spaced rumble strips on a road that I drive frequently. Every other car I've driven across them feels like it's shaking apart, including my old Lexus, but in the BMW they're hardly noticeable. My passengers have even commented on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #12
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Yip, absolutely recommended option. Drove it only once (mine has conventional suspension, actually a mistake but I didn't know at time of ordering it) and it made a lot of difference over cobblestone and tramway rails.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Changed my order today and added VDC ! , would not have wanted to regret !!

Thanks for the replies

MS
      04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #14
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukstevens View Post
Changed my order today and added VDC ! , would not have wanted to regret !!

Thanks for the replies

MS
Good move. You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Can anyone confirm for me that assuming the same wheel size, running VDC on an SE spec X3 would give exactly the same ride, ride height etc as running an M Sport with VDC ?

Thanks
MS
      04-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
citrilla
Winker
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Space Grey X3 MSport 2.0d

Same suspension settings. When you buy VDC for the MSport the MSport suspension is automatically deleted.
Appreciate 0