BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #23
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
All sound like good advantages. When you are driving when it is snowing hard out, will the snow not melt from the LED lights, since they don't get hot? If so,this could be a big disadvantage in the snow climates - right?
I do have the adaptive LEDs on my X3 and you are right about the issues in hard snowing. If it is really hard snowing, and especially with temperatures around 0 degrees celcius, I have to stop and clean the headlights now and then. Another thing to be aware of is that the light form the LEDs are so bright that glare may be a problem in really heavy snowing. These two things are, in my opinion, the downside of the LEDs. But, despite of this I will surely order LEDs on my next car too. In all other conditions adaptive LED headlights are the best I have had on a car. And I can tell you we do have some days of heavy snowing in nothern Norway...
That's interesting. Do you get flashed for dazzling oncoming traffic or does the technology work really well?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Perhaps he will want to sell you LED lights? If so, he might not tell you the complete truth or say that snow build up on the lights matters little.
I'm pretty sure that, like all salesmen, he'll point out the benefits and minimize the downsides. But he might provide some additional data points.

That said, I live in the Seattle, WA, USA area. We don't get much snow here. So it's probably not a big issue anyway.

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #25
FarNorth
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
That's interesting. Do you get flashed for dazzling oncoming traffic or does the technology work really well?
No problem with oncoming traffic, it works really well. I have not tried Audi's LEDs but they have the possibility to reduce the number of LED diodes emitting light in snow/fog to minimize the glare problem. I think the LEDs on my car is to bright in heavy snow, almost need sunglasses...
Appreciate 0