BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
The popularity of white is driven by customer demand and it looks like it's here to stay for some time.
Sorry to disagree, but you only have to look at the small cheap Citroen's, Seat's and the little Japanese cars that are not customer/order driven to see that.

The white colour along with the black also shows the dirt more than many other colours. Grant you they look good when cleaned, but in a very short space of time you have to wash again.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:38 PM   #24
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Sorry to disagree, but you only have to look at the small cheap Citroen's, Seat's and the little Japanese cars that are not customer/order driven to see that.

The white colour along with the black also shows the dirt more than many other colours. Grant you they look good when cleaned, but in a very short space of time you have to wash again.
Manufacturer's marketing strategies undoubtedly influence the choice of car colour, but the fact remains that in the UK, the most popular choice is white. The trend is suggesting that this will continue for some time. My preference is for silver and metallic grey such as Space Grey, but I will probably choose white next time. My reason is that white is less of a worry when it comes to damage and white colour matching although not trivial, is a lot simpler than lighter metallics. I love the look of black, but it is too high maintenance!

Last edited by ianfp; 06-05-2015 at 01:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #25
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The facts are there for all to see and I think I will go for white on my next car!
Facts? The AA and a few others are coming up with some funny figures. Just after I posted my response to that statement my wife and I went out for our daily walk on local roads that were extremely busy that covered over 6 miles and we carried out a count of hundreds of cars of differing colours and we both have to differ with the above.

We were very surprised when we found that there were only 4 cars in white that could have been specified by the owners on build (customer driven if you like). Two were BMW (F series 320d GT & F25 X3 2.0d) and an Audi Coupe. Then there was a Nissan 4x4 that I am unsure whether you order the colour or not. The rest (not as many as you might think) were all the small cars that you go into the showroom and choose what the manufacturer has made. They were SEAT, Suzuki, FIAT, Citroen and Ford.

So not only are the figures incorrect, but they are not owner specified customer driven white vehicles, but off the shelf volume cars produced in a variety of colours.

So, my previous statement holds true.

I forgot to say, the guy over the road from me now has 2 BMW stable cars. He previously had a white Ford and they said they would not ever buy one again because it shows the dirt a lot and has to be washed often to look its best.

There is at least one advantage with white and that is that they reflect the sunlight and do not get so hot as dark coloured ones. Good in a hot sunny climate. In the UK however, with our filthy mucky drizzly weather they can look a mess in quick time.

To be honest, I would never be seen dead in white car. Having said that each to his own.

The count today does not include White Van Man.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #26
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Facts? The AA and a few others are coming up with some funny figures. Just after I posted my response to that statement my wife and I went out for our daily walk on local roads that were extremely busy that covered over 6 miles and we carried out a count of hundreds of cars of differing colours and we both have to differ with the above.

We were very surprised when we found that there were only 4 cars in white that could have been specified by the owners on build (customer driven if you like). Two were BMW (F series 320d GT & F25 X3 2.0d) and an Audi Coupe. Then there was a Nissan 4x4 that I am unsure whether you order the colour or not. The rest (not as many as you might think) were all the small cars that you go into the showroom and choose what the manufacturer has made. They were SEAT, Suzuki, FIAT, Citroen and Ford.

So not only are the figures incorrect, but they are not owner specified customer driven white vehicles, but off the shelf volume cars produced in a variety of colours.

So, my previous statement holds true.

I forgot to say, the guy over the road from me now has 2 BMW stable cars. He previously had a white Ford and they said they would not ever buy one again because it shows the dirt a lot and has to be washed often to look its best.

There is at least one advantage with white and that is that they reflect the sunlight and do not get so hot as dark coloured ones. Good in a hot sunny climate. In the UK however, with our filthy mucky drizzly weather they can look a mess in quick time.

To be honest, I would never be seen dead in white car. Having said that each to his own.

The count today does not include White Van Man.
Motoring organisations, publications and sales figures from most manufacturers are wrong, because you and your good wife have carried out a survey on white cars? Hmmm, LOL
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Motoring organisations, publications and sales figures from most manufacturers are wrong, because you and your good wife have carried out a survey on white cars? Hmmm, LOL
I am glad you said that. You obviously do not read completely what was said.

Because you quote..

Quote:
The popularity of white is driven by customer demand and it looks like it's here to stay for some time.
You were telling everybody it was customer demand, when it is NOT in any way customer demand. That is the issue I had with your statement and the reason I am putting it straight back to you.

It is driven by the manufacturers creating a colour which has 22 % of the market share, and NOT Customer demand.

Now read again the names of the manufacturers that I quoted in my posts and what is at the bottom of the link showing the manufacturers who produce the white cars.

http://www.smmt.co.uk/2015/01/white-...uk-car-buyers/

BMW are NOT producing 22% white cars. Note. If you go into the North Oxford Garage, there are only a very few white cars and most are demonstrators and are the 1 series.

Do you understand what I have been trying to get across since you said?.....

Quote:
Great looking car Tjalle!
Actually, white is now the most popular car color in the UK - just above silver! That's across all marques, not just BMW.
NOTE. If 22% are white cars, then 78% are NOT white cars.

We can go round and round in circles on this and in the event we will get nowhere. The manufacturers of volume cars are creating white ones that are being bought. The customers are not demanding them.

Last edited by Peter_R; 06-05-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #28
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

OK ... bet the OP is starting to wonder about how wise it was to join the community.
      06-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #29
N6CRB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i Alpinweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
OK ... bet the OP is starting to wonder about how wise it was to join the community.
Hi. OP here.
This is nothing. If you want to see fireworks watch a few pilots discuss (fight) which is better, a fixed pitch propeller pitched for climb, cruise, or somewhere in the middle. That always gets good.

I don't care who has what color. It's what you like. If I could have gotten metallic purple that is what I would have gone for. But Alpine White is good because of where we live. Here in Bakersfield we average 33 days a year of 100+F! Alpine White helps keep the inside temp down.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:17 AM   #30
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Can I add to the fire?

A German investigation many years ago found that exterior colour had very little impact on interior temperature (due to insulation) - although interior colour had.

You guys going for the white leather interior, are on the right track - not us with black leather/textile
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #31
N6CRB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 Xdrive 28i Alpinweiss

You know that really does make sense. Car insulation is better now than years ago.

But to stay in the spirit that seems to have taken over the thread...
<Sarcasm Mode Engaged>
NO THAT IS NOT TRUE. IT CAN'T BE TRUE. I AM NOT GOING TO LISTEN TO THIS ANY MORE. I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE NOT.
<End Sarcasm Mode>

Have a nice day.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #32
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

White is a good choice and looks very smart on the X3. It is popular in the UK too!
Appreciate 0