BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Paint inclusions

My x3 is about 3 months old. At PCD delivery, I noticed a paint inclusion on the rear driver's door. The delivery guy said that my dealer can fix that (by sanding and repainting) under warranty, but it's probably not worth it.

Now that pollen season in Atlanta is (hopefully) coming to a close, I gave my car a proper hand wash this weekend, and noticed a bunch more inclusions: on the hood, the roof, and on the tailgate. And even worse, under the fuel door, I found a piece of tape that had been painted over and is now starting to peel off.

On my 2006 325i, the paint was flawless. I am disappointed with the paint quality on my x3.

Anyone else's car have these kinds of paint issues? If so, what did you do about them? I am not really interested in having my a bunch of my car's panels sanded and repainted, even if BMW pays for it (which I think they should).

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)

Last edited by Chalky White; 04-09-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Inclusions (ar they sort of rusty ?) could be an effect of transportation of your car (e.g. by train, picking a lot of small iron particles) or just road use, on the long run the paint includes stuff. There's a method for removing them, using a clay bar, but I'd recommend that you check with a good body shop what they can do for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Inclusions I guess is a term of art. Clearly, these were items (dust or debris) that got painted over at the factory.

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

English is not my mother tongue and in these cases it doesn't help :-) So it seems your car has been painted over for some reason. I'd go to the dealer and have a check. (If necessary I'd ask to replace the part, as I suspect it might have been damaged (scratched, hail storm...) during transportation from the factory to dealer or when standing in the dealers storage area.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
Marketor
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

I had the exact same problem which appeared on most of the panels. My dealer took the car back and sent it to the body shop. A quick compound and the car was back on track, a much better alternative than repainting the car. However, after decontaminating my paint this spring (last weekend) I noticed a lot of swirls on the paints which were due, I assume, to the job done by the body shop. I am not too worried since I guess a good swirl remover should remove everything... I hope so :-).
Appreciate 0