BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
vonmark
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Ram 1500

New To The Forum, New X3, Problem!

I took delivery of my X3 35i last night and was in love. Tonight I drove with my family to dinner with the windows down. Pulled up to the restaurant and rolled the windows up. The passenger side window went up about three inches and stopped. It made a loud grinding noise when I tried to roll it up again. I had my wife pull up on the window actuator while I pulled up on the window. The motor kept pulling the window down not matter what we did. So now the window is all the way down. My car has to park outside for the next couple of weeks and of course the next two nights it will be outside with the passenger window down. I am so upset I cant see straight. I have already contacted my CA via email and he is meeting meat the dealership first thing Monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Sorry to hear about the window failure. That really sucks when the car is only one day old.

Sounds like it's the cable operated window regulator. A number of owners have reported this as a problem and it's not that uncommon on many different late model BMW's. Your dealer should be able to get the part in 3 days and then it's a relatively easy fix.

The not being able to get it to move up is part of the safety system that opens the window if it encounters an obstacle. If the regulator mechanism jams (or someone blocks the window closing), the motor draws more current and the system thinks someone has a arm in the window opening, so it reverses the motor. That’s why it only seems able to go down. Usually, the iDrive display will also show a window failure warning.

Once it's replaced., do be sure to check the door for rattles and be sure that the interior door panel and trim pieces are all back in place properly.

You might want to take a look at this thread:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ndow+regulator

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-27-2011 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
vonmark
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info and the link Lotus7.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Try to reset the windows. Here is a link.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576176

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
mnmkw
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

My new X3 also has a broken window regulator. I took delivery with that knowledge because of a two week backorder for the part. (They discovered it while getting it ready for delivery). According to my sales person, many of the X3s they've received recently have had that issue (so I suppose they should have already checked for the issue and fixed it rather than waiting to sell it, right?). Ours is the front passenger window as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #6
vonmark
United_States
Rep

I dropped my X3 off today and picked up my loaner (335d). My salesman told me if they could not get a new regulator today they would take one out of a in stock vehicle. Later in the day he emailed me and told me that the regulator they took out of the in stock X3 was making noise and they wanted to order a new one. They are suposed to receive the regulator tomorrow. My sales rep told me that he would make this up to me. I wonder what that will mean?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Sounds like your dealer is all over it. You should be fine once they replace the unit. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #8
vonmark
United_States
Rep

I received an email from my CA today telling me the X3 would be ready for pick up this evening. So I drove the loaner to the dealership and met my CA at my X3. I got in and tested the window a couple of times to make sure it was working. Everything was working and I drove away. I stopped to pick my family up some dinner on the way home. While in the parking lot I decided to check the passenger door for rattles or anything out of the ordinary. I open the passenger door and the first thing I notice are multiple scratches and gouges on the door panel. I called my CA up and of course he apologized and I am bringing it in tomorrow. I am so frustrated with this situation I would give the car back if I could and go buy somewhere else. I attached a couple pictures of some of the damage. Totally unacceptable. Counting tomorrow I have five days of ownership. The car has spent four of them at the dealership.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Wow, that is terrible. A simple problem made 10x harder to deal with. I am sorry for your pain.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
junC
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d, '11 STI

thats a real bummer
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

It looks like they had the valet remove the panel for the mechanic! That sucks. Write a letter or two.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

What did he use...a crowbar?
That's awful!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
TJTT
Rep
Drives: Blue

This seems a common issue for Bimmer. My friend's 2011 x3 have a same problem. Now he is waiting for window regulator from German, and was told it would take 5 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I've never had a window fail on me, nor known anyone to have this problem.

It's scary how many window failures I've read about here. Seems they are using low quality parts for our premium price vehicles.

I'm sorry for your problems. The first thing I do when I go to pickup my new car will be to test the windows.

Is there a site that maintains a list of TSB's for our X3's?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I would suggest writing a letter to the General Manager of the dealership, and cc your salesman and the service manager. I would absolutely include the sentence you posted here: "out of 5 days of ownership, 4 of those were spent in the shop". You need to give them the perspective that your new car experience is very important to you and has been greatly diminished by a product defect, and further (and more alarmingly) by the negligence and carlessness of the service department.

Depending on your personal goals, don't burn the bridge or make statements that are highly imflamatory. Give the GM a chance to make you happy. We pay a lot to drive BMWs, and we have every right to higher expectations. Tell the GM that you expect a prompt response and you want to know what he plans to do to restore your faith in his dealership. Remind him that you haven't yet had your new purchase survey from BMW (and hopefully you haven't) and you need his help to be able to provide any form of positive feedback about his establishment.... you get the picture. They live and die by those surveys. Also tell him that on the survey you intend to request that BMW NA contact you (that is an option you'll have).

Best of luck, and though it's easy to say - try not to let this experience ruin the overall joy for you. I hope they respond and take care of everything for you.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #16
mibmwx3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Ledzep, I've had my car for almost 3 months and haven't received a new purchase survey or any other acknowledgement from BMW that I've purchased a car. When do you normally receive it?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
vonmark
United_States
Rep

I stopped by the dealership this morning and they swapped out my door panel with a panel off of a X3 on the lot. They still have to order the shift lever that they scratched and that will be in next week. Ledzep, thanks for the advice. What should I expect as restitution for what happened? Anybody have a simular experience that can tell me what I should expect or ask for? The Sales Manager left me a message stating he wanted to make things right. Just not sure what to ask for. I absolutly do not want to burn a bridge with the dealership but I think something should be done.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmark View Post
I stopped by the dealership this morning and they swapped out my door panel with a panel off of a X3 on the lot. They still have to order the shift lever that they scratched and that will be in next week. Ledzep, thanks for the advice. What should I expect as restitution for what happened? Anybody have a simular experience that can tell me what I should expect or ask for? The Sales Manager left me a message stating he wanted to make things right. Just not sure what to ask for. I absolutly do not want to burn a bridge with the dealership but I think something should be done.
Ask them to throw in some free BMW accessories. Worked for me to the tune of about $300 worth

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0