BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW X4 Concept Rumored for 2013 Detroit NAIAS Debut

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW X4 Concept Rumored for 2013 Detroit NAIAS Debut
COMMENTS

The BMW X4 (F26) is being rumored to be debuting at the 2013 Detroit NAIAS in January. That the X4 is coming is no surprise as BMW previously officially announced its intention to build the X4. What wasn't known however, was the timing of its debut.

The X4 is said to be coming in concept form at the NAIAS, to be followed in 2014 by the production model. The X4 will be built on the same platform as the X3 and is reportedly also the same length as the X3, at 183 inches. They will also share powerplants - a range of 4 and 6 cylinder petrol and diesel engines.

What will be different however, will be the X4's sportier coupe-like styling. Think of the difference between the X6 and the X5, just on a smaller scale.

What about a possible range topping X4 M model? Hard to say at the moment. Although BMW M President Dr. Friedrich Nitschke confirmed to us that there would be no M version of the current X3 model, he kept open the possibility of there being one for the next generation X3. Will this be a case of the X4 getting an M model prior to the X3 getting one? We shall see.

The X4 will be built in BMW's U.S. plant at Spartanburg, South Carolina, which is currently undergoing expansion as part of a plan by BMW to invest nearly 900 million USD in the plant by 2014.

* Note: The image above is only a render of the BMW X4

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
From a technical standpoint, the X6 is a amazing SAV but the size and the style didn't quite match. The X4 looks to fix that - the smaller proportions seem to fit better.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

yeah, cus the X6 was SUCH a hit. stop trying to appeal to the masses. change your marketing, not your lineup. if that fails, then change it.
      11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

The X6 didn't make a whole lot of sense, but an X4 seems targeted at a market that does want a small, sporty SUV like the Evoque and the Macan. Hell, I'd even welcome an M Performance model of the X4.

Looking forward to its debut.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It will be a great model for sure
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
sbmvp16
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 glacier silver met.

x4

how many x's they need !!!!!!!
x1,x3,x4,x5,x6, give me a brake
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillye30fanboy View Post
yeah, cus the X6 was SUCH a hit. stop trying to appeal to the masses. change your marketing, not your lineup. if that fails, then change it.
Actually, if you look at the type of car it is and the price tag associated with it, the X6 has been a success for BMW. As of June 2012, BMW stated they sold 150,000 worldwide since 2008. That's about 37,500 units per year. Personally I think that's good for a vehicle that was never meant to be a volume seller in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
phillye30fanboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mustang EB PP, 86 Notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90 View Post
Actually, if you look at what type of car it is and the price tag associated with it, the X6 has been a success for BMW. As of June 2012, BMW stated they sold 150,000 worldwide since 2008. That's about 37,500 units per year. Personally I think that's good for a vehicle that was never meant to be a volume seller in the first place.
i like the X6, i think the X4 should be the only model if they're looking for volume sales cus the price tag would be much less and more people could afford it. idk, i just don't like how they're trying to be something that they are not.
      11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I don't think an X4 would have any more "volume" sales than the X6 does. Just like the X3 and X5 are the more conservative styling (and pricing) for the masses. The X4 can fill a niche, but that's about it. I bet it will be cool.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
strati1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmvp16
how many x's they need !!!!!!!
x1,x3,x4,x5,x6, give me a brake
They need them for the segment that doesn't want to drive an Audi or Subie and needs dd abilities from a bmw in the snow. They aren't making these models willy nilly, they serve purpose to fit price points and classes.
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I don't think an X4 would have any more "volume" sales than the X6 does. Just like the X3 and X5 are the more conservative styling (and pricing) for the masses. The X4 can fill a niche, but that's about it. I bet it will be cool.
Do we have any hints as to what chassis it will be derived from? I can't imagine it being a brand new chassis. Like you said, it will only be a niche vehicle but will probably help BMW develop future engines if the X4 is built at low cost through shared underpinnings. I could see it being very similar to the X1 (which I think is relatively cheap for what you actually get in a vehicle).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Kind of frustrating that this is hitting NAIAS, but nothing about the new 2-series. I guess it's to be expected though. Sales of the new X3 have been fantastic. But wait a second, the latest report shows sales are up 28.7%... However it looks like 1-series sales are up 30.5%, and it outsold the X3 (1-series:168,426 versus X3:107,833)!

The current 1-series sold in the US market dates back to 2004. Please, BMW, build me a car to buy!
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
chriscecc914
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by 宝马.e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Do we have any hints as to what chassis it will be derived from? I can't imagine it being a brand new chassis. Like you said, it will only be a niche vehicle but will probably help BMW develop future engines if the X4 is built at low cost through shared underpinnings. I could see it being very similar to the X1 (which I think is relatively cheap for what you actually get in a vehicle).
It says there in the article that it's based on the x3 platform/chassis
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

My wife loves the X6 but its out of our price range, fully loaded X3 is our max for now. We will probably be looking to replace our X3 around the time this comes out and I am sure it will be considered, BUT there are two major concerns for a family SUV:

1) obviously the cargo space will be smaller than the X3 since its the same platform and size length BUT coupe like styling meaning trunk is probably cut in half (volume wise).

2) Price! the X6 is ridiculous, much higher in price than an X5. If the X4 is a few thousand more (like $3K) than the X3 (with similar options) I think it will sell well.

Now reasons I would still consider it despite these concerns:

-If they can keep the cargo space floor dimensions the same (or maybe a little wider) and if our double stroller (which fits in the X3) can fit in the X4, it will be on the list.
-$3K more for unique styling and hopefully a little better handling and MPG than the X3 would be fine with me, any more and I would just get another X3. Hopefully they will also add more luxury options not available in the X3, like Nappa/Novillo leather and multi contour seats, that alone would make a bunch of potential X3 owners jump to an X4.

For those who think people looking at an X4 will just get an X5 for the same (or close to it) price, that probably is not the case. My wife and I for instance do not want anything as large as the X5, price doesn't really have anything to do with it. We got our X3 for $55K MSRP, which could have easily bought a more basic X5, but it was too large and the MPG is much worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

After my long post about this probably being in consideration, and sending my wife the concept picture (render), we both agree if it looks like the photo in this thread, its off the list! I like the idea and we like the X6, but I am not sure it works on a smaller scale!

Maybe its the color used in the photo (silver) but it sort of looks like a Prius (since 99% of those are silver), the back really does at least. The line is just too blurred between an X1, 3 wagon, and X4. Maybe in January I will be suprised by the concept and it will look much better. Maybe in Vermillion Red or a blue it will look nicer as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
It will be based on the X3 chassis.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
After my long post about this probably being in consideration, and sending my wife the concept picture (render), we both agree if it looks like the photo in this thread, its off the list! I like the idea and we like the X6, but I am not sure it works on a smaller scale!

Maybe its the color used in the photo (silver) but it sort of looks like a Prius (since 99% of those are silver), the back really does at least. The line is just too blurred between an X1, 3 wagon, and X4. Maybe in January I will be suprised by the concept and it will look much better. Maybe in Vermillion Red or a blue it will look nicer as well.
It's completely a speculative render and nothing more than a hacked up X3 photo. There hasn't even been an X4 prototype spied, upon which an accurate render can be put together.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #18
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

it needs to have a performance advantage against the X3 for it to be worth it; o/w it's asking money just for style. Unfortunately, the X6 is a style car only - it holds no technical advantages over the x5.
      11-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #19
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
it needs to have a performance advantage against the X3 for it to be worth it; o/w it's asking money just for style. Unfortunately, the X6 is a style car only - it holds no technical advantages over the x5.
Which is likely why the X4 won't be anything different from the X3, the money you spend would likely be based on whether you want a traditional SAV (X3) or an SAV with a sporty/coupe-like look (X4).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Which is likely why the X4 won't be anything different from the X3, the money you spend would likely be based on whether you want a traditional SAV (X3) or an SAV with a sporty/coupe-like look (X4).
you're prob right - i was just hoping...
      11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The reasons for the X4 purely lie in why the BMW X6 is a success.

Not everybody in the markets where the X6 has been more successful such as China, Brazil. The Middle East and Russia can afford the X6 and despite the car being almost five years old it still sells in large numbers even pre-owned X6 is in demand.

The concept of the X4 is purely to downsize the X6 and make it more accessible to a wider range of customers without sacrificing true sport activity coupe appearance.

The potential for an X4M is again down to the success of the X6M , In China Middle East and Russia - Key important markets for growth. The X6M is the best selling M car. Leaving the potential of an X4M far too great to ignore.

The potential of the concept of the X6 is not lost on our competitors and their eye for growth as many X6 derived competitors are heading to the market.

The next line of Sport Activity Coupe beginning with the next X6 and X4 will show distinctive differences in their front and rear styling from the X3 and X5, allowing the X4 and x6 to stand out more , even though they are relatively the same vehicle underneath. Both X4 and X6 will also distinguish themeselves with further sportier handling and updated Dynamic performance control to showcase their sportier abilities.

The X4 will arrive in 2014 with the X6 following a year later in 2015.

This render gives you an idea of the X4's more distinctive appearance from the X3 and also its more sportier dynamic outline, keen to show the competition that BMW created the concept of a Premium Sport Activity Coupe.
Attached Images

11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
you're prob right - i was just hoping...
It's just become too crazy! With so many models and pricing relatively close to each model (few thousand?), it's hard pick. Would you rather take a modestly optioned 3-Series or an entry-level 5-Series? Common sense and value says the 5 for obvious reasons. (60k for a 3-Series in Canada? It's hard to justify that price if I would be equally as happy with a entry 5er.)
Appreciate 0