BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #1
ashish22
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Bmw X3 2015

I am getting ready to order the BMW X3 2015. I am curious about the following

1) Dynamic handling package:
What does this really buy me. Is the rider softer with this package than a car without this package in comfort mode. Also i understand sport+ is now available as a std in all X3 for 2015 so what else does this get.
Will this also have the dynamic performance control as described in

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rmance_control

from the site above

"Dynamic Performance Control switches power between the left and right rear wheels to stabilise the vehicle within milliseconds and help increase traction and lateral acceleration. Handling is lighter and more precise during normal as well as difficult driving conditions.

How Dynamic Performance Control works can best be described in canoeing terms: if you want to turn right when canoeing in the main current, you can brake using the paddle on the right side of the canoe. This is how most common electronic stability programs work. Alternatively, you could use the paddle powerfully on the left side of the canoe in order to have more control in progressing forwards and turning right. This is the principle behind Dynamic Performance Control.
It links the standard rear differential with a mechanical planetary gear set and an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch for each rear wheel. Its mechatronical system combines informatics, electronics and mechanics to process complex data such as the yaw rate, wheel speeds, steering angle and engine torque so that it can react immediately: when required, the system ensures that drive power distribution to the rear wheels can be freely varied and increased on either side as needed. The power distribution can also be displayed on the onboard computer.
Dynamic Performance Control increases directional stability when accelerating out of bends and provides the driver with extra support when dealing with difficult driving conditions. Before under- or oversteer can take place, lateral guided force is used to keep the vehicle on track. Precise steering significantly increases driving comfort and safety.
Dynamic Performance Control is also effective when the vehicle is coasting - when the driver removes their foot from the accelerator - or when they have pressed the clutch pedal. If the rear wheels are on different types of surfaces, Dynamic Performance Control improves traction by supplying more drive power to the wheel with more grip. A wheel torque difference of up to 1,800 Nm can be actively created between the left and right rear wheels. This increases driving stability and allows for much faster acceleration.
As a logical progression to the xDrive all-wheel drive system, Dynamic Performance Control can be matched to all drive concepts and engines. Whereas xDrive variably controls the power distribution between the front and rear axles, Dynamic Performance Control intelligently distributes power between the two rear wheels. This results in precise handling whatever the driving conditions."

2) Does the pedestrian warning show up on the HUD if you get the driver assistance package plus

3) What exactly is the dynamic damper control. Is this the thing where the car can go up or down by 10 mm

Also if someone can tell me where to get the pdf of the owners manual it would be great

Thanks
Ashish
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Dynamic damper control or DDC allows you to stiffen and soften the suspension using the comfort / sport / sport + ... DHP or Dynamic Handling Package includes DDC, Variable sport steering and Performance Control. Variable sport steering changes the amount of steering angle dependent on your speed. Performance Control just basically makes the car bias a rear wheel drive output for a sportier drive according to the BMW website. Not sure about the pedestrian warning showing up on the HUD but I bet there others on this forum able to help. Hope the following information helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
ashish22
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

thanls mge92

Thank you for the reply.

Dynamic damper control or DDC allows you to stiffen and soften the suspension using the comfort / sport / sport + ...

Is this not a standard option in every X3 for 2015?

Performance Control just basically makes the car bias a rear wheel drive output for a sportier drive according to the BMW website.

this is also what i have been reading but then when i go to BMW.com it says that it will also help the car turn as the power will go to the outside wheels and the inside wheels will break... how ever the bmwusa site does not say much.

Is it just me or does every one feel that the bmw makes better cars than websites
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
The DHP not only has two settings, Comfort and Sport, but is dynamic and changes strut stiffness within each setting depending on wheel deflection and lateral force. This allows the suspension to provide a smooth ride even with runflats without being under-damped and floaty in the Comfort mode. The programs which set strut stiffness in the two modes are very different. Sport mode is stiffer, there is less lean and the handling more responsive, but the ride over rough pavement is a bit jarring.

I had a 2011 X35i with DHP and now a 2015 X35i M-Sport with DHP. The 2011 was a bit soft, underdamped and a little floaty in the Normal mode (now called Comfort). The 2015 is much better damped and less floaty - a big improvement, and yes it provides a better ride in Comfort than the non DHP suspension. Be aware the DHP only has 2 suspension settings, all that really distinguishes Sport and Sport+ is the latter partially turns off the electronic nannies (also you can program chassis and transmission settings in Sport but not Sport+)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #5
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Is it just me or does every one feel that the bmw makes better cars than websites
LOL, the descriptions of some of the options and the way it's laid out sometimes perplexes me, too.

I have the Driver Asst. Plus and while I have not seen the pedestrian warning yet, I can say that the vehicle collision warning does indeed show up on the HUD as well as the dashboard. The red car icon lights up on the dash right above the lane departure warning lines AND in your HUD, it also shows up (a larger version of the icon) above your speedometer readout. I am assuming the pedestrian warning would show the same way. It only works during the day since there is no night vision camera and I haven't come close to a pedestrian yet (knock on wood, lol).
Appreciate 0