BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2023, 01:17 AM   #1
airbag
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Key fob not working after tint

Hello,

Here is the issue that possibly lies at the root of why things stopped working..
Have a bmw x3 that the wife wanted and tint the windows at the back because boy did the kid get the sun in his eyes, have a friend who tint so it was sorted quickly, right after he finished the tint, he was supposed to drive the car out but it won't start, he had left the ignition on during the sooting for about 2-3 hours because the windows had to go up and down, but nothing was dismantled, only tint was put on the window with a combination spray bottle with soapy water.
He thought the car had run out of power, and put it on charge via the engine compartment, stood for 2 hours and came back dead.. Then I realized that I can try and hold the key until the steering column then started the car immediately and then did the following:

- Replaced batteries in both remote controls without success.

- Checked fuses with a lamp that lights up, all ok, none that have blown.

- Replaced and tested with 3 used antenna amplifiers No life in the remote controls

- Took away the tint film in the rear window when I read online that this could have something to do with interfering with the signals. Didn't help.

- Took away the minus on the main battery for about 20 minutes and reset the car, didn't help.

Got a friend of mine to scan the car with an app and read these error codes:

I really need help and figured out or if anyone understands something I haven't, everything works forum and unlocking and again as well as starting the car with the key in the car, it must ALWAYS be all the way up in the steering column for and can be read off.
THE CAR DOESN'T HAVE SUCH EAZY ACCESS TO THE DOORS.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I believe the antenna for the remote is in the rear glass, I'd start there...
Use ista to diagnose...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

If the car doors were open for 2 hours...it could be the CAR'S main battery that became discharged...not the remote fob's battery.

I would check the voltage of the car's main battery to see if it is deeply discharged (below 11.2 volts).

The starting function of the remote fob does NOT use the battery inside the remote. Starting functions of the remote uses induction. There's a ring antenna in the steering column that powers a transponder in the remote that will then communicate with the DME and BDC or CAS or FEM to start the car. You can remove the battery from the remote and it will still start. The battery in the remote is used for central locking/unlocking...it powers the battery to send the RF (radio frequency signal) for you market.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-20-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:04 AM   #4
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

How old is the battery? If it has several years then maybe it's just a coincidence that it went bad right after getting the car tinted.

Take the battery to an autostore to get recharged and tested and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
airbag
Registered
Rep

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate your insights into how the car's remote fob and main battery function. I'll definitely check the car's main battery voltage as you suggested. It's good to know that the remote's starting function is not reliant on the battery inside the remote, which clarifies things for me. I'll investigate the car's main battery, Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
If the car doors were open for 2 hours...it could be the CAR'S main battery that became discharged...not the remote fob's battery.

I would check the voltage of the car's main battery to see if it is deeply discharged (below 11.2 volts).

The starting function of the remote fob does NOT use the battery inside the remote. Starting functions of the remote uses induction. There's a ring antenna in the steering column that powers a transponder in the remote that will then communicate with the DME and BDC or CAS or FEM to start the car. You can remove the battery from the remote and it will still start. The battery in the remote is used for central locking/unlocking...it powers the battery to send the RF (radio frequency signal) for you market.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 02:18 PM   #6
airbag
Registered
Rep

I don't know how old it is, i will take a look at it tomorrow and see, maybe i just need a new battery and recode it and it works again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #7
airbag
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbag View Post
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate your insights into how the car's remote fob and main battery function. I'll definitely check the car's main battery voltage as you suggested. It's good to know that the remote's starting function is not reliant on the battery inside the remote, which clarifies things for me. I'll investigate the car's main battery, Thanks for your help!
So the battery is good, and a get a reading of 12.5V when the car is off, Any other suggestion ?
Appreciate 0