BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-04-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528, 428 GC

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Picked up the X3

We picked up our X3 today and it is very nice. We have:

28i
Convenience
Premium
Technology
Sport
HiFi
Smartphone integration

It is my wife's car - my car should get here next week. I didn't know I still had to buy a cradle for the iPhone. Also, I cannot program the garage door opener for the life of me. I did it successfully with my 335 and Mini Cooper but no luck tonight.

Any pointers? I cleared the programs and tried to program the button for the garage and the gate to our community. Neither worked; I had the ladder ready to go for the second part of programming.
Attached Images

Last edited by tomegun; 02-12-2011 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Did you by any chance have one of those hopping code garage door openers? There might be a button that requires something sharp like a pen behind the main garage door opener. Its required you push that gives you 1 min it'll blink whiile you're setting the homelink in the car you have to push it multiple times after you follow the manuals directions.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Also did your X3 come with a standard power tow hitch?

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
We picked up our X3 today and it is very nice. We have:

28i
Convenience
Premium
Technology
Sport
HiFi
Smartphone integration

It is my wife's car - my car should get here next week. I didn't know I still had to buy a cradle for the iPhone. Also, I cannot program the garage door opener for the life of me. I did it successfully with my 335 and Mini Cooper but no luck tonight.

Any pointers? I cleared the programs and tried to program the button for the garage and the gate to our community. Neither worked; I had the ladder ready to go for the second part of programming.
We need pictures

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
We need pictures
I purposely didn't take pictures at the dealership. Although the iPhone 4 has an improved camera it still isn't as good as my camera and i didn't want to include the normal "crappy phone picture" tag with a picture.

I will try to get on it this weekend.

Tio, no tow hook.

The method I used for the 335, the Mini, what was in the manual (it is nice having the manual on the iDrive) and what my salesman told me yesterday is this:

1. Clear programming - check
2. Simultaneously hold down the button (1,2 or 3) and the button to the garage door opener. The light will blink slowly and will blink fast after 15 seconds - did not work
3. Press the learning button on the garage door opener (my button is purple on the back) and then (jump off the ladder and run to the X3) press the button (1,2 or 3) in the car.

My remote is also programmed to open the gate to my community. That isn't a hopping code and it should have worked when I tried to program it.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Just programmed mine this morning. If it doesn't blink fast within 15 seconds, hold the remote closer to the mirror (like 2 inches) and try again. This worked for me. You'll have to successfully do this before the 2nd step. As for second step, once you press the (purple) button on the garage unit, you have 10 seconds to push the button being programmed 3 times. After 3rd push, wait a couple seconds and then try it. Mine usually has to be held down for a couple seconds to engage.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

I tried to order the tow hitch-electric or manual and was told they do not install them at the factory and will have to have it done at the dealer. They do not even have prices until April.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
tomegun
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
Just programmed mine this morning. If it doesn't blink fast within 15 seconds, hold the remote closer to the mirror (like 2 inches) and try again. This worked for me. You'll have to successfully do this before the 2nd step. As for second step, once you press the (purple) button on the garage unit, you have 10 seconds to push the button being programmed 3 times. After 3rd push, wait a couple seconds and then try it. Mine usually has to be held down for a couple seconds to engage.

Good luck!
I tried several positions and distances with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
I tried to order the tow hitch-electric or manual and was told they do not install them at the factory and will have to have it done at the dealer. They do not even have prices until April.

I was hoping it would come with it, since it was in their ad video.

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0