BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Jasboarder05
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

iPhone Integration cost?

My wife and I purchased our 2013 X3 28i and took delivery last week. What is the cost to fully integrate the iPhone 4? We purchased the BMW apps and navigation system which includes the BMW assist with enhanced bluetooth and USB. We also purchased the smartphone cradle. We were charged $850 for just the cradle and the iPhone plug..... does this sound correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i, 2014 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasboarder05 View Post
My wife and I purchased our 2013 X3 28i and took delivery last week. What is the cost to fully integrate the iPhone 4? We purchased the BMW apps and navigation system which includes the BMW assist with enhanced bluetooth and USB. We also purchased the smartphone cradle. We were charged $850 for just the cradle and the iPhone plug..... does this sound correct?
No,

The cradle retails for $250. You can then either use the cradle or a regular white Apple cable (you should already have this since this is how you charge your phone) to connect to the center console's USB port. The cradle provides some minor advantages (better phone reception, ...).

The cradle just snaps in so you don't need to pay them to install it.

You don't need the Y cable that connects to both the aux and USB ports.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Jasboarder05
Rep

If the cradle costs only $250 then why was I charged $850 from the dealer? Something is off here......
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the cradle costs only $250 then why was I charged $850 from the dealer? Something is off here......
I can't answer that

Here's what you need. See iPhone Snap in Adapter.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...cessories.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
The $850 got you the ability to integrate a phone...The additional $250 connects the final dot enabling you to integrate your iPhone. And its really more of a physical integration rather than software integration since you largely can do most of what you want to using an ordinary USB cable without the cradle. The $850 is the cost of admission which gives you the privilege of having a place to plug in your $250 adapter. Oh, and you also get a few neat functions that only work with the dock that I have yet to use. This is how I understand it at least.

Should BMW have included it as a standard item in all X3s (still leaving it up to you to buy the adapter)? Undoubtedly. Worth it for the marginal gains in features/functionality? Not really. Did I buy it and would I do it again? Yes and probably, because relative to the cost of the car it isn't that bad and I'd hate to NOT have it in case some really cool feature comes out that has the cradle as a prerequisite.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Jasboarder05
Rep

Thanks for the post. I didn't know it cost $850 but perhaps with the upcoming technology it will be worth it in the end. Especially because we are planning on keeping this car for a while. Thanks again for the informative post.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
We were charged $850 for just the cradle and the iPhone plug..... does this sound correct?
Seriously?

Paying that much for the options is one thing, but for the cradle and a cord? Did you misspeak, or did the Parts Dept. really charge you $850 for a cradle and a cord?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #8
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I didn't know it cost $850 but perhaps with the upcoming technology it will be worth it in the end. Especially because we are planning on keeping this car for a while. Thanks again for the informative post.
Did you get the Technology package which includes BMW assist and enhanced Bluetooth? If you did, then all you would have to add is the $249 cradle. If you didn't, then the $850 may be for adding BMW Assist and enhanced Bluetooth, and the cradle. Those total $899.

Either way, I'd go ask them why they charged you $850.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Does anyone know what the specific difference is between using the cradle and the standard USB cable? Does the cradle "use up" - or otherwise plug in to the USB port?

I was thinking of using a normal iPod (80GB Classic) in the USB, and connecting my phone via Bluetooth. Is there any advantage to getting the cradle on top of what I'm already thinking of doing?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero
Does anyone know what the specific difference is between using the cradle and the standard USB cable? Does the cradle "use up" - or otherwise plug in to the USB port?

I was thinking of using a normal iPod (80GB Classic) in the USB, and connecting my phone via Bluetooth. Is there any advantage to getting the cradle on top of what I'm already thinking of doing?
According to BMW the cradle increases the iPhone's reception. It also gives you access to Apple's user interface when listening to music through the nav screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

The way I understand it is, as mentioned above, the cradle enables you to better secure the iPhone AND allows better phone reception by using the built in antennae in the car.
However, the reason I didn't get this feature is what I foresee in the near future. I now have an iPhone 4. Pretty soon, I suspect an iPhone 5 will be coming out and of course, this phone will be physically different and therefore, no longer fit in the cradle, rendering this feature useless.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
02420X3
Captain
Rep

The cradle also allows you to play video - when you're parked.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Jasboarder05
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
Did you get the Technology package which includes BMW assist and enhanced Bluetooth? If you did, then all you would have to add is the $249 cradle. If you didn't, then the $850 may be for adding BMW Assist and enhanced Bluetooth, and the cradle. Those total $899.

Either way, I'd go ask them why they charged you $850.
We did not get the Technology package. However, we optioned in the Navigation system which comes with the BMW assist and enhanced bluetooth. We also purchased the BMW apps.

I too am concerned about the new iPhone 5 coming out and whether or not it will fit in the cradle. And word has it the iPhone 5 will have a different power connector. That means a new cord and perhaps cradle. sheeeeeesh!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Interesting, thanks for the info.

So any of you who do have the cradle, can you have an iPod plugged into USB and the phone in the cradle at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Robocheme
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post

So any of you who do have the cradle, can you have an iPod plugged into USB and the phone in the cradle at the same time?
I was told no by two guys from the service dept.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
02420X3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robocheme View Post
I was told no by two guys from the service dept.
Sadly, they are both wrong.

I just stepped outside and tried it, or at least a reasonable facsimile. I used an old iPhone 3GS on the white USB cable, and an iPhone 4S on a cable connected to the dock.

The 3GS played with no issues. The 4S played with no issues. When I had the 3GS playing on the USB port and activated the Plugin for the 4S then the 4S took over and the 3GS cut out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Sadly, they are both wrong.

I just stepped outside and tried it, or at least a reasonable facsimile. I used an old iPhone 3GS on the white USB cable, and an iPhone 4S on a cable connected to the dock.

The 3GS played with no issues. The 4S played with no issues. When I had the 3GS playing on the USB port and activated the Plugin for the 4S then the 4S took over and the 3GS cut out.
!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #18
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post

Yes, almost always. I keep an iPod Touch plugged in the USB port in the armrest as my main music source and put my iPhone in the cradle most times while driving. The iPod Touch syncs with iTunes when the car is in the garage to update music and podcasts. Very handy.
      06-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
kingbadger
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 3.0D MSport

Bluetooth / USB / iOS Version/ cradle issues

Thanks guys...using a second source is a great idea. I just got my new 3.0D MSport on Friday (awesome BTW) I have pro nav (ZXF)' mobile application prep (6NR), telephone USB audio interface (6NF) And a snap-in media adapter (top one with the cooling fan) for my iPhone 4

I had test driven a similar specced demonstrator last year (around Sept) and could stream audio, track info and album art over Bluetooth (no snap in adapter)

My car's build date was right at the end of MY2012 production. Early April.

I couldn't get music over Bluetooth at all, eventually discovering that I needed to update the Bluetooth software on my brand new car to work better with iOS5. This was a simple download and update, now working much better. But 2 annoying things:

1 can't hot swap between USB audio ( via the snap in adapter) and Bluetooth audio. Need to reconfigure the settings each time. I'm thinking that for many short journeys I'll just keep the phone in my pocket. So I want to stream music using Bluetooth. For longer journeys I want to keep it charged and get the (alleged - because the iPhone has no aerial connector) improved reception.

2 even with the update and Bluetooth configured for audio, can't get album art over the connection anymore ( could last year pre iOS5). Music and track info both fine. Can if I use USB via the cradle config.

So I' with you Nahoa- I think an iPod touch on the USB socket under the cradle with "sync over wifi" enabled will work in the garage and give me full audio and I can use my cradle for telephone functionality only.....or possibly video if I ever want to use it...suspect not.

Is this how you came to do this?
      06-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Jasboarder05
Rep

I finally asked our BMW SA about the $850 charge for our iPhone adapter. He was very apologetic and reimbursed me $850. Once again, we optioned in the Navigation system which comes with the enhanced bluetooth and USB. We also purchased the BMW apps. Evidently this is all that needs to be ordered to get full iPhone integration. I'm glad I asked our SA!!! Hope this helps others in future purchases.
Appreciate 0