BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #45
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

I've just had mine fixed, so long as they update your sat-nav to version 2013-2 mapping it solves the problem. Mine was previously version 2013-1. I assume they need to arrange a FSC code for the update.

Mine was update free of charge (warranty) since the BMW technical advisory identifies this update as the 'official' way to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.
      02-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #46
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
HELP- I'm trying to get my local dealer to update the satnav to fix this issue. The car is booked in for Tuesday next week.
I popped into the dealer this afternoon (Sytner Maidenhead), to get them to check if they need to order anything before hand to avoid a wasted journey next Tuesday. They couldn't look at the issue today and said I needed to wait until next week.

Can anyone confirm-
1-Does this update require parts ordering i.e. DVDs, or can the fix be download and installed by the dealer on the day.
2-Is the Traffic fix part of an overall update (including mapping data), therefore the dealer might try to argue that I have to pay for the software fix?

Also getting them to check the occasional slightly squeaky driver seat (Right Hand Side Bolster)
If you're very clear that they are only fixing the bug (and that is a bug that has to be fixed under warranty), you shouldn't have to pay anything, or provide anything. I doubt you'll get updated map data, that would be a different update IMO.

I got an iDrive update by insisting there was an issue with the alphabetical ordering of album tracks (instead of being ordered by track number). The issue remains, but my iDrive was updated nonetheless after some pressure was applied. They don't like having to do iDrive software updates because it takes hours

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #47
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
I popped into the dealer this afternoon (Sytner Maidenhead),
I was there a few weeks ago having a go in their new X5 demo . Nice drive up toward Cookham

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #48
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
I've just had mine fixed, so long as they update your sat-nav to version 2013-2 mapping it solves the problem. Mine was previously version 2013-1. I assume they need to arrange a FSC code for the update.

Mine was update free of charge (warranty) since the BMW technical advisory identifies this update as the 'official' way to fix the problem.

Hope this helps.
So I'm still wondering if the visit on Tuesday will be a waste of time i.e. after 'discussing' the issue with the technician and agreeing its warranty they need to order a FSC code and DVD set. Hoping they can download everything on the day.
Driving to Austria for 10 days on Thursday next week- nice to have the satnav updated for the trip
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #49
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps.
Interestingly I have a set of three USB pen drives with the latest official EU 2014-1 CIC maps on, I installed this latest map update without being prompted at any time for an associated FSC code - the new mapping is installed and working fine.

Could it be that the FSC code the dealer used to enable the 2013-2 update has somehow unlocked my NAV system for the later 2014-2 update too? I was a bit cheesed off since I bought a 'discounted' FSC code and didn't need it!

My RTTI data is being correctly displayed on the map now at all zoom levels.
      03-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #50
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

In my haste to get ready for hols I missed my outlook reminder to visit the dealer to get the Nav updated yesterday . Post holiday now.
Saggo- Where can I download the map updates you mention. Does the map updates also update the nav software? Or is it just mapping data?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #51
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In my haste to get ready for hols I missed my outlook reminder to visit the dealer to get the Nav updated yesterday . Post holiday now.
Saggo- Where can I download the map updates you mention. Does the map updates also update the nav software? Or is it just mapping data?
PM me with your email address & I'll send you links on an FTP server where you can download the 2014-1 image files...you need three 8GB USB pen drives to perform the upgrade - it takes about 2 hours to load.

I have a much later software version number for the CIC now that I have updated the maps to 2014-1 the problem with the RTTI data mis-representation is definitely fixed from version 2013-2 onwards.

You might have to buy an FSC code for the new 2014-1 maps - I can let you know where to get one cheap! I didn't need one for some reason, I think it might be because the dealer who updated my maps / software to version 2013-2 had to use and FSC code (supplied under warranty) which seems to have permitted me to subsequently update to the later 2014-1 free of charge!

Last edited by CatFlap; 03-05-2014 at 05:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #52
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I need to get my car booked back in.
I did notice further issues with the Sat-Nav en-route to Austria.
At least 2 times the sat-nav tried to take me off the autoroute and the indicated directions would have put me straight back on at the same junction. A bit unnerving when using a route for the first time.

Update to follow next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #53
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

I have been following your posts with interest as I downloaded an upgrade for my Professional System to upgrade to CIC Premium 2014 (currently Europe Premium 2013). I am guessing that it was from the same source as Saggo, as a server connection was needed.
Having downloaded and copied onto 3 USB sticks as instructed, when I put the first stick into the passenger glove box nothing happened. I contacted the BMW dealer who claims that this USB socket is only for downloading from the car.
On checking my navigation handbook it states that upgrades for the Professional system are carried out through the DVD/CD player.
Am just going to get some dual layer DVD's and copy over to see if that is correct. I am also waiting for a call from a BMW technician to discuss this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #54
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

The upgrade can be done using the glovebox USB port, but the USB sticks must be correctly built. Re-check the directions.

Last edited by 02420X3; 03-18-2014 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #55
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler_1 View Post
I have been following your posts with interest as I downloaded an upgrade for my Professional System to upgrade to CIC Premium 2014 (currently Europe Premium 2013). I am guessing that it was from the same source as Saggo, as a server connection was needed.
Having downloaded and copied onto 3 USB sticks as instructed, when I put the first stick into the passenger glove box nothing happened. I contacted the BMW dealer who claims that this USB socket is only for downloading from the car.
On checking my navigation handbook it states that upgrades for the Professional system are carried out through the DVD/CD player.
Am just going to get some dual layer DVD's and copy over to see if that is correct. I am also waiting for a call from a BMW technician to discuss this issue.

I am assuming you unzipped the individual archive files you downloaded onto three separate usb sticks? You need to use the usb port in the globe box. With the ignition on insert the first stick - it can take a minute or two for any message to appear asking if you want to use the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #56
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not sure that BMW will help much since these are not 'official' upgrades particularly the FSC codes! It might not be a good idea to tell BMW where the FSC codes are obtained (on the cheap) if you know what I mean 😉
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #57
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

My instructions never mentioned unzipping the files, they are in 2 files, PKGDB and config.nfm on each of the USB drives and are: USB1 = 7.41Gb / USB2 = 6.38Gb / USB3 = 7.4Gb.
Are you suggesting that the files must be unpacked/unzipped and shown individually on each of the usb drives?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #58
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure that BMW will help much since these are not 'official' upgrades particularly the FSC codes! It might not be a good idea to tell BMW where the FSC codes are obtained (on the cheap) if you know what I mean 😉
Not mentioned anything about where I obtained the download from and was not asked either by the technician.
I am pretty sure though that if we can find these sites then people in BMW must be aware of them ;-))
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #59
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interestingly I have a set of three USB pen drives with the latest official EU 2014-1 CIC maps on, I installed this latest map update without being prompted at any time for an associated FSC code - the new mapping is installed and working fine.

Could it be that the FSC code the dealer used to enable the 2013-2 update has somehow unlocked my NAV system for the later 2014-2 update too? I was a bit cheesed off since I bought a 'discounted' FSC code and didn't need it!

My RTTI data is being correctly displayed on the map now at all zoom levels.
Which system do you have, Business or Professional?
I have the Professional version on my 2013 (built Nov 2012) 2.0d M Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:32 PM   #60
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My instructions never mentioned unzipping the files, they are in 2 files, PKGDB and config.nfm on each of the USB drives and are: USB1 = 7.41Gb / USB2 = 6.38Gb / USB3 = 7.4Gb.
Are you suggesting that the files must be unpacked/unzipped and shown individually on each of the usb drives?
Hi,

It seems you might have obtained your files from a different source. I had to unzip the individual files in my case prior to copying each set onto the USB drives. I'll check drives in the morning when I get home and verify which files are on each one if it's of use to you. The update is definitely done via the glovebox USB port - worked on my 2012 X3 no problems.
      03-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #61
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

It seems you might have obtained your files from a different source. I had to unzip the individual files in my case prior to copying each set onto the USB drives. I'll check drives in the morning when I get home and verify which files are on each one if it's of use to you. The update is definitely done via the glovebox USB port - worked on my 2012 X3 no problems.
Hi

Many thanks, I look forward to your reply ;-)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #62
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi

Many thanks, I look forward to your reply ;-)
My downloads were in four parts - all compressed in .rar format.

http://serwer.navibmw.pl/cice14.part1.rar
http://serwer.navibmw.pl/cice14.part2.rar
http://serwer.navibmw.pl/cice14.part3.rar
http://serwer.navibmw.pl/cice14.part4.rar

I definitely had to de-compress. Will check stick contents tomorrow.

Have you purchased an FSC code for your VIN?
      03-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #63
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Smile

Quote:

USB Stick Content file / folder lists; see attached screen dumps.

Sticks need to be formatted FAT32 and use the glovebox USB port.

I seem to remember that there can be a delay of a few minutes before the NAVI sees the stick. It will eventually come up with the upgrade message. If it doesn't within 3-4 minutes pull the stick out (whilst the NAVI is running) then re-insert it and wait again. I found that if you interrupt the upgrade process for any reason it will resume where it left off - no need to start again from scratch (which is a good thing since the upgrade will take an hour or two!
Attached Images

03-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #64
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yes, apparently it is a lifelong code, only paying £10 for future updates.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #65
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Very interesting. The files as you have helpfully shown are identical to mine except that I do not have any of the files that are dated " 9th August 2013" in any of my 3 downloads which suggests that you may have some later data.
Also I can see that your original downloads were in 4 files. Did these then end up as the 3 USB files?
My download was as usb1, usb2, and usb3.
Thank you for your help, I am wondering whether to download your files but they may not work with my FSC code!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #66
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting. The files as you have helpfully shown are identical to mine except that I do not have any of the files that are dated " 9th August 2013" in any of my 3 downloads which suggests that you may have some later data.
Also I can see that your original downloads were in 4 files. Did these then end up as the 3 USB files?
My download was as usb1, usb2, and usb3.
Thank you for your help, I am wondering whether to download your files but they may not work with my FSC code!
Hi,

When I extracted the files they ended up in three folders, one for each USB stick. I'd be tempted to try your sticks again.
It turned out I had my sticks in my laptop bag so I've just had a play in my car with USB stick 1; with the ignition on (engine stopped) and the NAV showing the usual map display the update message eventually appeared after I inserted it in the glovebox port a couple of times - nothing happened the first time I inserted it even after 4 minutes though when I removed it and re-inserted it the message appeared after 10-15 seconds! It seems to be very hit-and-miss though don't be worried about removing / re-inserting it whilst the NAV is running.

I think the FSC code you have will work either way as it's 'tied' to your VIN number not specifically to any set of files downloaded or otherwise. I had my NAV updated by my dealer from v2012 to v2013-2 (using a warranty BMW (genuine!) FSC code) I subsequently updated to v2014-1 a day or two later without having to use the FSC code that I bought from our friends in Poland! I was never prompted for the FSC code during the update to v2014-1. I can only assume that the perpetual upgrade FSC code will allow future updates as you mentioned earlier.