BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Tire pressure monitor display.

When the TPMS goes off, does it display which specific tire is involved or just a general warning that one tire of the 4 is showing a problem (like the non specific e90 display)?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by torzeck View Post
When the TPMS goes off, does it display which specific tire is involved or just a general warning that one tire of the 4 is showing a problem (like the non specific e90 display)?

TIA
Unfortunately, it just gives a generic warning. No specific tire identification and no info on the actual pressure. It's a shame since the car has individual receiver antennas near each tire. You still have to carry a tire pressure gauge in your glove box.

It appears that the TPMS also recognizes individual tire transmitter ID's. I recently purchased a set of winter tires and wanted to check that the new TPMS transmitters in them were going to work with my car. I mounted one winter tire and set it to the same pressure as the original all-season tire that was previously on the car. The TPMS warning immediately triggered. I selected “TPMS RESET” via iDrive and after driving a half-mile, the warning shut off. Returning the all-season tire required another reset cycle.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Exclamation TPMS

At least on the Nav equipped 335 that I own, you can see the individual tyres on the car status screen (where the individual tyre will show low - yellow in color). Have not picked up my 3.5 yet, so I have not seen this on the new X3The old x3 did not indicate which tyre
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

On my 28i the sensor went off and it did not indicate which tire had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
djdewet
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 3.5i

Question Sensors ????

Umm, as far as I know on my 2006 E90 there are no sensors, it is suppoesed to use the ABS sensors to calculate speed difference between wheels, to tell if they are going down.

Has this now changed, or am I misinformed
Mineral Silver F25 X3 3.5i AT, Oyster/Black/Wave wood trim interior, 307 style wheels, Prof Navi., Moon/Sun Roof, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Auto tailgate, X-Line, Perf. Control, Apps, BMW Live, Top View, Prof. HiFi, Sports Seats, Elec. Tow Hitch, High Beam assist
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdewet View Post

Has this now changed, or am I misinformed
BMW started using TPM transmitters starting in mid-2006.
The current X3 uses (4) 433 mHz RF transmitters.
If your car has conventional rubber valve stems it uses the ABS sensors and monitors wheel speed differentials to determine if a tire is low.

If it has metal valve stems, it is equipped with internal TPMS transmitters. they have a typical minimum battery life of 5 or 6 years and should be rebuilt (battery and gaskets changed) every time the tires are replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Unfortunately, it just gives a generic warning. No specific tire identification and no info on the actual pressure. It's a shame since the car has individual receiver antennas near each tire. You still have to carry a tire pressure gauge in your glove box.

It appears that the TPMS also recognizes individual tire transmitter ID's. I recently purchased a set of winter tires and wanted to check that the new TPMS transmitters in them were going to work with my car. I mounted one winter tire and set it to the same pressure as the original all-season tire that was previously on the car. The TPMS warning immediately triggered. I selected “TPMS RESET” via iDrive and after driving a half-mile, the warning shut off. Returning the all-season tire required another reset cycle.
My '07 E90 will show the specific tire that is low in yellow. Never had a "flat" in that car so not sure what happens then, but would think it will display the individual tire affected.

In my '06 E91 without TPMS it would only warn of a tire problem but not specify which tire.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Is it possible to mount tiers without TPM sensors and disable the system in Idrive so you've not need to hear or see the warning sign in the dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by perto View Post
Is it possible to mount tiers without TPM sensors and disable the system in Idrive so you've not need to hear or see the warning sign in the dashboard?
Certainly. It's possible to disable the smoke alarms in your house too. The question is WHY??

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I have a set of snows tires mounted on wheels from my old X3.
These don’t have any sensors mounted in them.
Can they still be used on the F25?
Can the appropriate sensors be mounted on them?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I have a set of snows tires mounted on wheels from my old X3.
These don’t have any sensors mounted in them.
Can they still be used on the F25?
Can the appropriate sensors be mounted on them?
Most wheels have enough room to accommodate the TPMS transmitters. They are available from TireRack and currently cost $ 180 for a set of four plus another $32 for the required metal valves. Some special wheels (mainly 3-piece racing wheels) won't allow the TPMS transmitters to be fitted. Remember, the tires will need to be rebalanced with the TPMS transmitters installed.

If you have run-flat tires, the transmitters REALLY should be used to insure you know if a tire is going down. With non-run flats, it's still a very good idea, but not as critical, since most drivers will notice the low tire through other means.

If you don't install the transmitters (for instance if you want to use conventional tires), I believe your BMW dealer can reset the TPMS system to an "OFF" configuration if you don't want to see the constant TPMS warnings. However, you will have to return to the dealer to have it the TPMS system turned back on. It's not something you can do yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not with iDrive.
To disable the warning, it takes dealer-level access to the system.
It also takes a certified note from Jens Stoltenberg, a note from your next of kin and written dispensation from the Pope. Otherwise it’s easy.

Last edited by Lotus7; 04-13-2011 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Most wheels have enough room to accommodate the TPMS transmitters. They are available from TireRack and currently cost $ 180 for a set of four plus another $32 for the required metal valves. Some special wheels (mainly 3-piece racing wheels) won't allow the TPMS transmitters to be fitted. Remember, the tires will need to be rebalanced with the TPMS transmitters installed.

If you have run-flat tires, the transmitters REALLY should be used to insure you know if a tire is going down. With non-run flats, it's still a very good idea, but not as critical, since most drivers will notice the low tire through other means.

If you don't install the transmitters (for instance if you want to use conventional tires), I believe your BMW dealer can reset the TPMS system to an "OFF" configuration if you don't want to see the constant TPMS warnings. However, you will have to return to the dealer to have it the TPMS system turned back on. It's not something you can do yourself.
Thanks Lotus,

My winter wheels are 17" with Blizzak's mounted on them, so it looks like transmitters can be installed. In another thread somebody told me that the hole pattern and offsets are the same as the first gen X3, so it looks like I'm good to go next winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

I think TireRack charge half price compared to Baru(OEM). I just figure out if I gotta bye after marked wheels for winter use, or if I gotta import OEM rims from US the exchange rate it's in my favor now. Lotus (thanks god I'm a protestant)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Thanks Lotus,

My winter wheels are 17" with Blizzak's mounted on them, so it looks like transmitters can be installed. In another thread somebody told me that the hole pattern and offsets are the same as the first gen X3, so it looks like I'm good to go next winter.
Hole pattern, offset and most importantly the hub centering ring diameter (which does vary on some BMW models, even with the standard 5X120 bolt circle). The actual lug bolts on a F25 ARE different from those on a E83, so if you have any fancy chrome bolts for the wheels, they absolutely won't work (F25 = M14x1.25 & E83 = M14x1.5) Why BMW changed is anybody's guess.

Last edited by Lotus7; 04-13-2011 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think TireRack charge half price compared to Baru(OEM). I just figure out if I gotta bye after marked wheels for winter use, or if I gotta import OEM rims from US the exchange rate it's in my favor now. Lotus (thanks god I'm a protestant)
I just purchased (4) very nice aftermarket wheels (Sport Edition SX 18X8) for my winter tires from TireRack for $476 (plus $212 for the TPMS w/valves).

I've actually test mounted them on the car for a day, and they work great with Dunlop SP WS 3D's.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep

Looking good but hove it's the Chinese painting quality ? The road authority probably use salt on the roads where you live also, salt can be hard on Aluminum. But for the set of four for the same price as one BMW wheel you can buy a new set every fourth year.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #18
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking good but hove it's the Chinese painting quality ? The road authority probably use salt on the roads where you live also, salt can be hard on Aluminum. But for the set of four for the same price as one BMW wheel you can buy a new set every fourth year.
The paint and overall quality actually looks very good. They're nicely clear coated and I've put on a good coat of wax. It remains to be seen how they will hold up to salt. They do weigh 2 kilos more than the OEM wheels, but since they're for winter use and will never be driven very hard with the snow tires, I really don't care about the unsprung weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hole pattern, offset and most importantly the hub centering ring diameter (which does vary on some BMW models, even with the standard 5X120 bolt circle). The actual lug bolts on a F25 ARE different from those on a E83, so if you have any fancy chrome bolts for the wheels, they absolutely won't work (F25 = M14x1.25 & E83 = M14x1.5) Why BMW changed is anybody's guess.
Thanks Lotus,
They're not fancy wheels and I'll just toss the lug nuts so I don't get them mixed up.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
More information here:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...6-a6f4951aaa5e

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
richardchou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M Sport - White

Can anyone confirm if the TPM will warn you on individual tires or just gives you a general warnming when you have one tire that's low on pressure?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

I have 28i with nav and the warning when it pops up shows me the actual tire that's "low". When you go into vehicle status through I drive it shows 3 green and the one with the issue yellow or red. I have found mine seem to be QUITE sensitive though. Twice it has gone off for different tires when there was a maximum of 2 pounds of pressure drop. Given that 10 degrees in ambient air temp changes can alter tire pressure reading by as much as 1 pound, it seems that they would be set so one or 2 pound wouldn't and false errors. Does anyone know what the tolerances are supposed to be before they signify a problem?
Appreciate 0