BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

reverse to drive question

I have what may be a stupid question and maybe I'm just missing something.
When driving our 2013 X3, I often back out of the garage and then shift to drive and I often forget to push the little button on the side and drive off. This results in a notice on the nav screen reminding me to push the button. However, the car does shift into drive. Is this bad? And if not, then why the reminder?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninny View Post
I have what may be a stupid question and maybe I'm just missing something.
When driving our 2013 X3, I often back out of the garage and then shift to drive and I often forget to push the little button on the side and drive off. This results in a notice on the nav screen reminding me to push the button. However, the car does shift into drive. Is this bad? And if not, then why the reminder?
You don't have to push the button when going from reverse to drive. I can do that and gets no chime or screen message. It's not bad but pretty annoying about the screen message.

However, I need to push the button the other way around. Going from drive to reverse...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep

Maybe I'm mistaken regarding shifting order. Nevertheless, I still get the message and the car still shifts. I'll have to go back later and recheck.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
Eurocar11
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2.8

We have a 2013 X3 2.8i, but without navigation. We do not have to push the button to go from reverse to drive. I don't recall getting any message or reminder to push in the button when doing so.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible, 2011 X3

I've noticed on mine as long as I keep my foot on the brake I can shift from reverse to drive without pushing the button but if I lift my foot off the brake it'll stop in neutral to give me a warning and I'll have to push the button to put into drive. And I do have the navigation system if that matters.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouginNC View Post
I've noticed on mine as long as I keep my foot on the brake I can shift from reverse to drive without pushing the button but if I lift my foot off the brake it'll stop in neutral to give me a warning and I'll have to push the button to put into drive. And I do have the navigation system if that matters.

Doug
Okay, I went earlier this evening and tried out what I thought was happening. As Doug above noted, mine does the same thing. Also, I WAS MISTAKEN regarding the shifting without pushing the button. You can go from reverse to drive without the button. However, the opposite isn't true. This whole new way of shifting (for me) takes getting used to.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

I just naturally hold the button when shifting. My thumb wraps right over it, so I never really have to think "push button" or "not push button"
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I also found out that you cannot go from Park to Drive without pushing the button. R to D, no button needed. Maybe this will help sum it up:

P > R Must push unlock button
P > D Must push unlock button
D > R Must push unlock button
R > D Do not need to push the button