BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Could be right Joe. I'm just going by the information I found on the BMWUSA website, per the attached screen shot above. It was also in printed material I have seen over that was directly from BMWUSA. Wouldn't be the first time BMWUSA site has a misprint though and probably not the last. The true test would be for a 28i owner to take a quick peek and see if there is any indication of a side mounted air bag. It's also quite possible that the early builds, which we have, did have a difference between the 28i and 35i and since then there has been some adjustment of std features. Unfortunately I didn't make it home to check the exact location on the wife's 35i. If they are equally equipped in the air bag side of things just don't tell my wife!! She might think I pulled a fast one on her!

Also, another diff between the 28i and 35i is that the 35i gets the cool adaptive LED brake lights standard. The brake lights light differently depending on how aggressively you engage the brakes. When in a full panic stop the 35i brake lights will light up much brighter while the 28i brake lights light output stays static.

Last edited by n55x3; 06-14-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #24
trackpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Just checked the 28i loaner i have and it does have an airbag tag on the side of the front seats. Also looked in the manual and it shows it as having side airbags as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #25
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Hey that settles that! Thanks for checking. I wonder if a 2011 28i would have the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Could be right Joe. I'm just going by the information I found on the BMWUSA website, per the attached screen shot above. It was also in printed material I have seen over that was directly from BMWUSA. Wouldn't be the first time BMWUSA site has a misprint though and probably not the last. The true test would be for a 28i owner to take a quick peek and see if there is any indication of a side mounted air bag. It's also quite possible that the early builds, which we have, did have a difference between the 28i and 35i and since then there has been some adjustment of std features. Unfortunately I didn't make it home to check the exact location on the wife's 35i. If they are equally equipped in the air bag side of things just don't tell my wife!! She might think I pulled a fast one on her!

Also, another diff between the 28i and 35i is that the 35i gets the cool adaptive LED brake lights standard. The brake lights light differently depending on how aggressively you engage the brakes. When in a full panic stop the 35i brake lights will light up much brighter while the 28i brake lights light output stays static.
Oh, yeah, this would definitely not be the fist time BMW has made a mistake on their website. Frankly, I find their website sort of their weakest link which is disappointing for them.

I totally forgot to look at my car last night too. I'll try to remember to look again when I get home this evening (I take the bus to work). Between the two of us we should be able to confirm this..., in a few days.

Yes, I can agree on the LED brake lights having a more instantaneous illumination. I did not know the 35i had them. Since they did LED on almost everything else, I was surprised the brake lights, turn signals were all incandescent bulbs. The 35i is still a car to be envied. I promise not to tell your wife.
      06-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #27
BMRu4ia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i VR

Quote:
Oh yes, the LED brake lights another point for 35i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Here is what the side air bag tag looks like on the early 2011 models.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #29
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Agreed, that is a brilliant safety design.
Quote:
This thread should be read with a grain of salt though as features between models change from country to country.
      06-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
n55x3
Captain
Rep

yeah good point lbjgh! I have almost no knowledge of the various setups of countries outside the US. As we all know, each country has their own set of standard features.
Appreciate 0