BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-12-2021, 09:01 AM   #67
tkeirnan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by one9kilo View Post
I've replaced my RDC on my F25 with a used one but I needed to code it. I thought I bought the "right" RDC but I guess the version was not an exact match?

Anyways, this is good to know information. Thanks fellas.
I was able to fix my F25's issue, simply by cleaning up the RDC's circuit board. I made a video about it. I should also mention that when the RDC (TPM Antena) was malfunctioning, I had issues with the climate control system. The Air Conditioning (AC) and heating systems would turn on and off for no apparent reason. At first I thought they were two different problems, I even checked to see if there was water in one of the fuse boxes because it was raining often those days, but fuses were fine. Apparently in the F25 water manages to seep into the RDC somehow. I made this video to show my findings and progress:
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:16 AM   #68
Peepers
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi & '97 Spyder GSX

Great update video tkeirnan

My update is I was able to source TWO different RDC's with the exact same part number and SW number and neither one was a "plug and play" to make the error code go away.

Some stated that they were able to make this error go away by sourcing (used) the exact same part number but it clearly didn't work for me
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:23 PM   #69
pblogic
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeirnan View Post
I was able to fix my F25's issue, simply by cleaning up the RDC's circuit board. I made a video about it. I should also mention that when the RDC (TPM Antena) was malfunctioning, I had issues with the climate control system. The Air Conditioning (AC) and heating systems would turn on and off for no apparent reason. At first I thought they were two different problems, I even checked to see if there was water in one of the fuse boxes because it was raining often those days, but fuses were fine. Apparently in the F25 water manages to seep into the RDC somehow. I made this video to show my findings and progress:

Thank you so much for this video... You may have saved me ALOT of money. I'm having the exact same issue including the climate control problem. I'm going to pull mine tomorrow and see if I can fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:47 PM   #70
pblogic
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
Hey guys, so the infamous RDC failure just happened on my 2014 X3. I pulled the RDC module out, opened it up and it was full corrosion - same that everyone has reported and seen on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vu7GTFcZjU

My module is part number 36106857938-02 (SW.02.0D.02). Of course it's been disco'd and replaced with 36106881433. The question I have is 36106881433 simply "plug and play" or will 36106881433 require coding? I would like to buy a new module vs. the used eBay route because I'm sure the eBay used one will have some sort of corrosion and eventually fail however I don't really want to deal with coding

Thoughts?

What was your result with this? I have a failed module with exactly the same part number and software version. Did you buy new? If so, what was your part number? Did you need to code it? Did you code it yourself, or did you need to take it in?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 12:08 AM   #71
pblogic
Registered
Rep

Pulled mine apart... It's in very bad shape. Gave it a thorough cleaning with contact cleaner, but it still is not functioning.

3610-6857938-02
SW02.0D.02

I am seeing some on ebay, but the only one from my same year and model x3 is from a seller that wants 149$ and doesn't accept returns, so... no.

As long as the part and software match precisely, does it matter what model of car it was pulled from?

Anyone have a link to info on programming it, if it needs to be? I'm sure I can figure it out if some one points me the direction of the right software/tool I would need to do it.

Thanks for any input anyone has.

Here are some photos of mine:

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #72
Peepers
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi & '97 Spyder GSX

I had no luck with two used modules with the same Part Number and SW numbers. We couldn't even code the used modules to the car at my mechanic (I'm sure the dealer could though but didn't want to pay them).

So we simply unprogrammed the use of TPMS and instead programed the tire pressure monitoring system to go off the wheel speed sensors (like Canadian cars came stock with)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 08:50 PM   #73
pblogic
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
I had no luck with two used modules with the same Part Number and SW numbers. We couldn't even code the used modules to the car at my mechanic (I'm sure the dealer could though but didn't want to pay them).

So we simply unprogrammed the use of TPMS and instead programed the tire pressure monitoring system to go off the wheel speed sensors (like Canadian cars came stock with)
Ok thanks, I'm going to try my hand at repairing mine again, but desoldering any connection that looks bad and then resetting it all. I'm still dreaming that I'll be able to make it work without have to pay for anything :P I appreciate your update.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #74
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Had this problem on my 2014 F25 X3

Started with a TPM warning, but then also quickly got the HVAC totally shutting off randomly, driver airbag warning, rear power hatch not closing, heated steering wheel shutting off. Tons of issues.

Pulled codes with my Foxwell and got a bunch of codes related to JBBF/JBE (junction box electronics) K-CAN, etc.

Feared a massive electronics failure but came across the RDC failures online. I did have two RDC codes, but assumed it was all part of the same big failure. Pulled the RDC unit, cleared the codes and most all went away. They wouldn’t clear before. Left with just the TPM malfunction on the dash and everything seemed to work normally again.

Cut open my RDC and sure enough. Was partially filled with water, corrosion everywhere, and one capacitor was loose. Have a new capacitor on the way (50v 4.7uf) And also a used unit coming if that doesn’t work.

Sorry, the forum software is messing up my photo rotation.
Attached Images

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 04-18-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2022, 04:14 PM   #75
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

UPDATE: my used junkyard RDC module worked without any coding! Plugged it in, turned the car on and TPM screen was green and “Active”.

Not sure how to pick a good one, but here’s my car vs the junkyard car if it helps anyone.

Mine: 3/2014 Build F25 X3 2.0i
Used RDC: 10/2013 Build F10 550i

Both part numbers (on unit) “6 857 938-02”

Both say “0531.201.007.11”

Both “HW 03” and “SW02.0D.02”

Both Model number “TSSSG4G5”

Mine: Date 31 January 2014
Used RDC: 7 October 2013

(I did try to find the one closest to my mfg. date)

Both have a “-3” after the date. I tried to find a match for this too, but have zero idea what it means 😄

Mine on top. Used on bottom.

Reset all codes and the only thing remaining is “030490 K-LIN_11 LRE: No LIN-slave”. That might have been there for years though. Could have had nothing to do with this issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by CirrusSR22; 04-19-2022 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:35 PM   #76
Vasikisa
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmevox View Post
A BMW dealership in New York wanted to charge my girlfriend 900 to replace the RDC module in her 328xi. I read up on the forums and bought a used module on ebay for 60 bucks and a cable for 30. Probably took me 3 minutes total to replace the module and code it. Works perfectly now. The hardest part is downloading all of the software for inpa and ncs expert
Please please tell me where the module is on 328I - Same issue, hoping to be able to do this myself and not at the dealer
Appreciate 0