BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Engine Vibration thru Foot Rest

Hi,

Not a big issue but I'm feeling some engine vibration thru the drivers foot rest. I notice it more when I'm wearing thin soled shoes (i.e. leather sole).
I've tried to do some testing by getting the engine to labour- but its not easy with the 30d engine.
Unfortunately most of my trips are short disctances at the moment, so I can't tell if its related to the engine not warming up fully.

Last edited by philtrick123; 12-05-2012 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Sometimes you can feel the regenerative braking as a vibration. It sounds like bullshit and likely, it is, because it came from the dealer. But it's all I got.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Sometimes you can feel the regenerative braking as a vibration. It sounds like bullshit and likely, it is, because it came from the dealer. But it's all I got.
Does the X3 have regenerative braking?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The alternator charges on deceleration. There is no regenerative feature in the braking system (like hybrid cars)

I too notice a bit of vibration through the dead pedal.

No one commented on my thread here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761184

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Does the X3 have regenerative braking?
      12-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
It sounds like bullshit and likely, it is, because it came from the dealer
- so true

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

The brake regeneration is the efficient dynamics blue bar you see in the dash when coasting

Quote:
Power from your brake pedal.

Intelligent Alternator Control and Brake Energy Regeneration monitors the battery condition, engaging the alternator as and when the battery requires recharging. This reduces the demands on the engine, reducing fuel consumption and emissions. In addition, when the car's brakes are applied or when coasting downhill, this system automatically engages the alternator to charge the battery, recycling energy that would otherwise be wasted.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/efficient...y_regeneration

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi,

Not a big issue but I'm feeling some engine vibration thru the drivers foot rest. I notice it more when I'm wearing thin soled shoes (i.e. leather sole) shoes.
I've tried to do some testing by getting the engine to labour- but its not easy with the 30d engine.
Unfortunately most of my trips are short disctances at the moment, so I can't tell if its related to the engine not warming up fully.
Are you sure it isn't just the normal diesel vibrations. It is something I don't miss, having moved back to a petrol BMW, from a 3.0d 3-series.

If it is more than that, it could be from the cooler engine. They take some time/mileage to warm up, once ambient temperatures drop.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Are you sure it isn't just the normal diesel vibrations. It is something I don't miss, having moved back to a petrol BMW, from a 3.0d 3-series.

If it is more than that, it could be from the cooler engine. They take some time/mileage to warm up, once ambient temperatures drop.

HighlandPete
I can't tell if the (very mild) vibration has been there from new or not. Or maybe its slightly more noticable with the colder weather. I'll keep monitoring it over the next few weeks. I have a couple of longer trips next week so that will be a better test. Its one of those issues that is currently below borderline a visit to the dealer. If it gets worse I'll have the dealer investigate.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I can't tell if the (very mild) vibration has been there from new or not. Or maybe its slightly more noticable with the colder weather. I'll keep monitoring it over the next few weeks. I have a couple of longer trips next week so that will be a better test. Its one of those issues that is currently below borderline a visit to the dealer. If it gets worse I'll have the dealer investigate.
I take it the vibration is constant, or is it some unusual 'off beat' vibration?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I take it the vibration is constant, or is it some unusual 'off beat' vibration?

HighlandPete
It feels like engine vibration, but its difficult to tell while I'm trying to drive. It might just be because the foor rest is hard plastic right next to the gearbox and engine bulkhead. Over the weekend I'll try putting my hand on the foot rest (obviously not while driving!). I would thought engine vibration should be minimal on the 30d engine.
As I said its not worrying at the moment, just an observation that might be just the norm.

Last edited by philtrick123; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #11
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

HighlandPete
I've completed some long drives recently and I'm getting the slight vibration from two sources- 1- too much bass line on the mp3! 2- the engine seems to have a resonance point around 1200-1300 RPM.
I don't get much vibration if I drive the car harder- i.e. Sports mode. But if I go Eco Pro the car hangs around 1200-1300 RPM, during gear changes. The vibration is more of a 'fuzzy' feeling.
I wish I had access to another 30d to compare with. I'll make a hopefully visit to the dealer in the new year. I'm sure they'll dismiss any problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #12
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Can any other 30d drivers help me out with a quick test. If I slightly rev the engine to 850RPM while stationary (either in P or N) there is some minor steering wheel vibration I can feel. If I then rev up to just around 1100/1200RPM I'm feeling some minor engine vibration through the floor.
I took the car to the dealers, and they are meant to be getting back to me in the New Year- but I'm not hopeful.
I just need to know if this vibration is normal, or if its abnormal.
The steering wheel vibration can't be felt while driving because the engine revs are usually over 1000 rpm, but the engine vibration can be felt through the floor as the car goes through the gears.
Appreciate 0