BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
maeblr
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Anyone else waiting for their special order?

Ordered my X3 M40i on Jan 23 and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Today the status online changed to "At the port" and since the vehicle is assembled in the US, I'm guessing that means Oxnard for Southern California. The GENIUS line however told me it's still in transit with an estimated port arrival of Feb 27. Not sure which to believe!

I need to arrange to sell my current car prior to picking up the new one, so it would be good to know if delivery will be in a week or more like 2-3 weeks.

Anyone else waiting for their delivery right now?
Appreciate 1
chicagofan0019146.00
      02-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

There are ports of exit and entry. Without knowing which you saw in the status, I'd say if that port message came within 1-2 days of assembly, then it's the port of exit next to the factory in SC.

Mine went from "assembly" to "transport to port of exit" to "awaiting carrier" all within a couple days, for an east coast delivery. On the east coast they go from the port to the carrier to the dealer. For CA, where the car goes for a train ride, you'll also go through another port.

I realize it's all within the US but that's how BMW handles it. Some of this is probably due to the way they historically tracked vehicles internationally, and I wouldn't assume the descriptions always make sense.

Last edited by skier219; 02-16-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also, you might get additional information from the BMW 1-800 automated line. They use slightly different descriptions than the website and are a good source of extra information.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeblr View Post
Ordered my X3 M40i on Jan 23 and was told 6-8 weeks for delivery. Today the status online changed to "At the port" and since the vehicle is assembled in the US, I'm guessing that means Oxnard for Southern California. The GENIUS line however told me it's still in transit with an estimated port arrival of Feb 27. Not sure which to believe!

I need to arrange to sell my current car prior to picking up the new one, so it would be good to know if delivery will be in a week or more like 2-3 weeks.

Anyone else waiting for their delivery right now?
I think many, if not most, people here did factory orders for their cars. To California, 6-8 weeks sounds about right (delivery is much faster to places on the East Coast). Last year, mine took about 6 weeks to California (from order placement), but it might take a bit longer with the weather. Or, you could get lucky, and it'll be less.

The car goes by train from Spartanburg to Oxnard (port), but can spend a while waiting for a train. It will then spend a day or many at Oxnard, before being sent to your dealer; assume a day or less for transit. Your dealer will then spend a couple days or so prepping the car before delivering it to you.

Your dealer is the best source for information.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
maeblr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
Also, you might get additional information from the BMW 1-800 automated line. They use slightly different descriptions than the website and are a good source of extra information.
Thanks! I'll try the 800 number next.

The online tracking through MyBMW has the following:

Final assembly (about a week ago)
Ready for transport
Awaiting carrier assignment
Dispatched from factory
At the port (I am here)
In transit
At the dealership
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #6
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At the port (I am here)
Definitely call the 800 number. That will hopefully clarify things. When I did that last year, there was no mention of the shipping port (Spartanburg), but only the exit port (Oxnard). However, while at Spartanburg, my car spent a long time waiting for transportation (the train).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I'll try the 800 number next.

The online tracking through MyBMW has the following:

Final assembly (about a week ago)
Ready for transport
Awaiting carrier assignment
Dispatched from factory
At the port (I am here)
In transit
At the dealership
That to me sounds like it would refer to the Oxnard port, since it came after "dispatched from factory". So I think your initial hunch was right, despite what the genius told you. I'd say try the automated 1-800 tracking to see what that says, and also check with your salesperson. That ought to give a definitive picture.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
maeblr
Rep

Thanks for the insight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
Definitely call the 800 number.
Just called and the status was "Your vehicle has arrived at the port."

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
That to me sounds like it would refer to the Oxnard port, since it came after "dispatched from factory".
Yeah in the absence of more information, I'm going to assume Oxnard with about a week until delivery.

I'll try the dealer as well, but doubt that I will learn anything new.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

I am also waiting for my M40I. How quickly does a person get the tracking number after the order is placed? I have not heard a thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
maeblr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos View Post
I am also waiting for my M40I. How quickly does a person get the tracking number after the order is placed? I have not heard a thing.
Congrats!

They sent me a production number about a day after I placed the order. If they gave you a build sheet, it's the 7 digit number in the upper left. If not, call your dealer and ask for it. Then you can track via the 800 number or online with MyBMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Congrats!

They sent me a production number about a day after I placed the order. If they gave you a build sheet, it's the 7 digit number in the upper left. If not, call your dealer and ask for it. Then you can track via the 800 number or online with MyBMW.
I placed my order February 2nd. It shows already built and awaiting shipping. That seems awful fast? I am on the west coast. Looks like I better get my car I am currently driving up for sale! Brian
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:17 PM   #12
maeblr
Rep

Quote:
I placed my order February 2nd. It shows already built and awaiting shipping. That seems awful fast? I am on the west coast. Looks like I better get my car I am currently driving up for sale! Brian
Woohoo!

They're definitely cranking them out fast right now. My 340i delivery took 13-14 weeks - granted it also had a boat ride to get through, but still I feel like the assembly itself took a while. Just depends I guess. Looks like X3 deliveries are averaging 5-6 weeks right now!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I placed my order February 2nd. It shows already built and awaiting shipping. That seems awful fast? I am on the west coast.
No, that sounds about right for west coast deliveries (east coast is much faster). Last year, mine was built in around 2 weeks, spent 2 more weeks waiting for a train, and spent another 1.5-2 weeks being transported, handled by Oxnard, and sent to the dealer (and the dealer also needed another couple of days-ish for final delivery prep).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
No, that sounds about right for west coast deliveries (east coast is much faster). Last year, mine was built in around 2 weeks, spent 2 more weeks waiting for a train, and spent another 1.5-2 weeks being transported, handled by Oxnard, and sent to the dealer (and the dealer also needed another couple of days-ish for final delivery prep).
Thanks for the explanation. As excited as I am to get it 3-4 weeks more would be great. I only wish I had followed the build process from the order date.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Placed my X3 order on January 5th and finally picking her up from the dealership this coming Monday. Total wait time about 6 weeks for my vehicle to be built and shipped to Southern California. Based on my experience, the MyBMW site is behind when it comes to showing the current status of your build. My X3 was stuck at the "At the Port" status for almost 2 weeks.
      02-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #16
maeblr
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaTB View Post
My X3 was stuck at the "At the Port" status for almost 2 weeks.
Interesting. Based on that timeline, I still have another three weeks to go.

Have fun on Monday!
Appreciate 0