BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

New Owner - Some Questions

Its finally arrived - after placing an order on 1st October last year I have finally got my hands on the X3 and am very impressed. Totally outclasses my old Freelander 2 (thats LR2 to those in the states), far more comfortable, better quality, smoother ride, more ooomph i could go on and on!

Just a few quick questions i have if anyone can assist (rather than me go through the manual)

1) Wing mirrors only fold in when i press the button on the door, is there a way of setting them to fold in when i lock the car?
2) Is it okay to pull away in drive with the parking brake on, i asked the dealer who couldnt confirm. I tried it and it does release when pulling away - just want to make sure i am doing no harm
3) whats the easiest way of transferring ipod music to the idrive? it tried connecting via a usb cable in the centre armrest but info screen said it couldnt transfer from device - am i missing something?
4) can the media centre read text messages - had a quick look and couldnt see a way of doing it

i am sure i will have more questions in due course

ps - will upload some pics when the sun decides to come out - its rained all day so will probably have to wash it before i get chance to take some photos - oyster leather is absolutely stunning!!!
      03-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Congratulations on your new car - great spec!

I can answer a couple of your questions: If you have the visibility package, the mirrors fold in when you hold the lock button down on your fob for a few seconds.
I would think it is not OK to pull away with the parking brake on. The 'auto-hold' feature is for that purpose.
The media stuff can be a real pain! Trial and error was my way of doing it and I cannot remember exactly what I did?
Ian
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

If it doesn't close using the key fob you can always code your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It works - mirrors now folding

Either hold down the lock button on the remote or keep finger on ribbed section on door handle - thanks guys!
      03-26-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
bowler_1
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5 4.0D M Sport

Hi
regarding the handbrake, it is meant to release as soon as you start to move off. We always apply ours when parking and it automatically releases as you start to move.
Another thing you might come across is that the car will not move off if you (the driver) have not put your seat belt on !!. I learnt the hard way when I tried reversing on our drive. Having parked the car and deciding to move it backwards a short distance, I found that the engine speed would not increase and the car refused to move - sat there feeling a right pratt until I realised that the seat belt had to be slotted in!!!
Another useful tip is that when you stop and the stop/start kicks in, if you very briefly release the footbrake pressure slightly you can override the stop/start and keep the engine running.
Also read other posts on the forum about using the Sport setting on the centre console rocker switches combined with moving the gear lever across to the tiptronic position, it makes the car very quick off the mark and when overtaking - brilliant!
Hope this is of interest
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
It works - mirrors now folding

Either hold down the lock button on the remote or keep finger on ribbed section on door handle - thanks guys!
Conversely, if you hold the unlock button on the fob it opens all windows and roof - great in the Summer (if we ever have one here!)

Also when the stop/start kicks in, if you move the steering wheel a bit the engine will restart - i use 'auto-hold' all of the time and it's great to get the engine re-started ready to move off when the traffic lights are about to change.
      03-27-2014, 04:29 AM   #7
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the tips - really loving the X3 now although just wish it would stop raining!!!!

One more quick question, as I have run flat tyres there is no inflation kit, jack or wheel brace but should there be a locking wheel nut and if so where should it be, forgot to ask the dealer.

With regard to the runflats, dealer said a flat tyre should still be good for 50 miles at 50mpg but if under any concern to simply hit the SOS button and BMW will come to my rescue, being new to runflats are they commonly stocked at the main stream tyre centres? No good hobbling to one to find they have to order one in? Also what sort of miles are they good for, my Freelander 2 tyres lasted about 30,000 miles before I needed to change them.
      03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We took out the tyre insurance option which seemed a good bet at £300 for 4 years. BMW stock the tyres and my local tyre guy says he has them or can get them same day so seems OK.
We use winter tyres which are non-rft and so have a inflation kit in the car, with jack and brace but I would not want to use the jack unless I really had too, its a big car!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Hope you're enjoying your new purchase

connect ipod to usb port in the glove box

text messages are seen through a bluetooth connection. There are other posts that detail the setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
thanks for the tips - really loving the X3 now although just wish it would stop raining!!!!

One more quick question, as I have run flat tyres there is no inflation kit, jack or wheel brace but should there be a locking wheel nut and if so where should it be, forgot to ask the dealer.

With regard to the runflats, dealer said a flat tyre should still be good for 50 miles at 50mpg but if under any concern to simply hit the SOS button and BMW will come to my rescue, being new to runflats are they commonly stocked at the main stream tyre centres? No good hobbling to one to find they have to order one in? Also what sort of miles are they good for, my Freelander 2 tyres lasted about 30,000 miles before I needed to change them.
Locking wheels nut should be located in the boot (trunk) left hand pull out compartment. Its the same place where the warning triangle and first aid kit are located.

BTW- I've got the BMW compressor and slime kit included with my X3 because the 17" OEM tyres are non-rft. Seems a con if you get RFT you also loose the compressor. Cost saving by BMW.

No jack included with the car, I presume because there is no spare.

£300 for tyre insurance sounds high. So you've got to get 2 unrepairable punctures over 3 years to break even?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
Hope you're enjoying your new purchase

connect ipod to usb port in the glove box

text messages are seen through a bluetooth connection. There are other posts that detail the setup.
Checked the glove box and cannot locate a usb port, when selecting external devices on the idrive it only shows 2 options, the aux cable in and the usb cable in for the centre armrest. When i connect either my first gen or fifth gen ipods via the apple usb lead i get the following message "transfer of track information is not supported by the aux device" I can play the ipod through the aux cable but get no info on the centre screen and it all has to be controlled through the ipod - what am i doing wrong?
      03-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #12
ryanburk
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

try putting your ipod in "disk mode" when it is connected to iTunes on your pc, then try the transfer. I've only used USB drives to transfer songs, but I'd imagine disk mode would work. good luck
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Do you need the official BMW y-cable in the x3? I needed one of these in my 3-series for it to read an ipod via the usb socket. Costs about £45 and there are two types; one for cars with enhanced bluetooth and one without.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #14
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I swopped the USB cable with another I use to charge my iPhone and strangely it now works fine. Does the USB in the centre console switch off when the ignition is off?