BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Anyone recently compared the X3

Hi all, new here. Long time fan of the X3 as it seems the right fit for what I want. Currently making a case for it and I'm coming to the end of a test drive period comparing cheaper SUVs to the Audi and BMW offerings. String the obvious but you get what you pay for.

Have taken the wife for a drive in the 2.0ltr diesel and petrol Q5 and she loves the growl and the push of the petrol. The diesel gets going elegantly but without a rush (putting it politely).

It's a few more weeks till the X3 becomes available to test in Australia so am wondering if anyone has driven both recently. I know the stats and the X3 is the quicker but does it have the audible quality likely to appeal to my wife and/or how much difference in acceleration?

Couple more questions:
Feedback in the steering has me worried with some reports it's non existent. Is it really lighter than the Q5? I've taken a X1 out and loved that weight and feedback.

Cabin quality - X1 felt budget compared to the Q5. How is the X3? Obviously the price difference to spec a Q5 up to the standard level of the X3 makes it far more expensive than the BMW.

Lastly - ride on poor roads. Whatever we buy will see some poor roads (worse than the country lanes in the Uk - I've just returned after living there). We go camping but not on extreme stuff, just want to go further than a sedan does without slowing to walking pace. I know the ride is vastly improved but wondering if anyone can compare?

It's been a long wait and it's still a month before I get a chance to see for myself!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Regarding the ride. I read a recent test between Q5, Volvo xc60 and X3.

They said the Audi's ride, although quite good and fun, was too hard jittery and not very comfortable at times, the X3 in contrast was fun, smooth and comfortable at all times. I do think this was the s-line Q5 which does have firmer suspension, the standard is a little better but it's still not as smooth a ride as the new X3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Hi all, new here. Long time fan of the X3 as it seems the right fit for what I want. Currently making a case for it and I'm coming to the end of a test drive period comparing cheaper SUVs to the Audi and BMW offerings. String the obvious but you get what you pay for.

Have taken the wife for a drive in the 2.0ltr diesel and petrol Q5 and she loves the growl and the push of the petrol. The diesel gets going elegantly but without a rush (putting it politely).

It's a few more weeks till the X3 becomes available to test in Australia so am wondering if anyone has driven both recently. I know the stats and the X3 is the quicker but does it have the audible quality likely to appeal to my wife and/or how much difference in acceleration?

Couple more questions:
Feedback in the steering has me worried with some reports it's non existent. Is it really lighter than the Q5? I've taken a X1 out and loved that weight and feedback.

Cabin quality - X1 felt budget compared to the Q5. How is the X3? Obviously the price difference to spec a Q5 up to the standard level of the X3 makes it far more expensive than the BMW.

Lastly - ride on poor roads. Whatever we buy will see some poor roads (worse than the country lanes in the Uk - I've just returned after living there). We go camping but not on extreme stuff, just want to go further than a sedan does without slowing to walking pace. I know the ride is vastly improved but wondering if anyone can compare?

It's been a long wait and it's still a month before I get a chance to see for myself!
What Car? did a review comparing the Q5 and the X3. PM me if you want a copy. You should try to drive both before buying. There was no contest for me

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i tried the GLK 350, Q5 3.2, and X3 35i
X3's engine blows the others, amazing engine
a lot more pep than the 3.2 audi, i had that engine in my A5, sucks
glk felt cheap on the inside
Q5 has a more premium looking interior, but not as advanced options wise as the X3
X3 had the nicest trunk
and it's more fuel efficient AND most powerful of all 3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
Inrex
Rep
Drives: E61 535d M and E87 120d M

I tried both X3 and Q5 2,0diesel engines both with automatic transmission. Wow what a difference. In the Q5 you sat waiting for the gear to change and the X3 transmission felt very modern and quick in response. I'll think you need the 3,0 diesel for the Q5 with auto transmission to have fun but it was already fun with the 2,0 d in the X3. If you are comparing the two diesel engines with auto transmission...

I really gave the Q5 a chance cause I do like the looks of it but the X3 was a better built car. I had a look at the mercedes and walked away when I opened the door
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I'm going to have to agree with the assessment on the Q5. My inlaws have a base Q5 3.2 quattro with 18" and i find the ride pretty stiff. I can't imagine what the 1st gen X3 must have rode like.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Well, I had my order cancelled on the Q5 after test driving the new X3.

The thing is, the new X3 hadn't really entered my mind. Hadn't seen one out, and I was basically at the Audi dealership to do a testdrive with a few options I was considering. However it was a bit crowded so I went across the street to kill some time. And there it was, the new X3. It was a fully loaded black with oyster and I got in for a test drive.

And I'm glad I did. Went and cancelled my Q5 order and ordered the X3.

To answer your questions:

Cabin quality. I'm sorry but you just can't compare the X1 with the X3 and the Q5. I really like the Audi interior (I've owned 3 Audis and 4 BMWs the last 8-9 years, and also a AMG Merc, and 9 times out of 10 I would prefer the Audi interior), however the X3 with the Nav Pro and the mini black panel is really good. Some of the buttons on the Q5 are not as good as they used to be, and to be honest I feel that there are a bit too many of them as well. In general some of the plastic has a slightly softer feel in the Q5, but right now, with the Nav Pro and full leather, I'd take the X3.

Feedback was excellent. I'm not sure if the dynamic steering might be a problem, I've driven cars with and without servotronic and the feel is much better in the X3 compared to the Q5 which in my opinion is a bit dead around the center. The X3 feels more RWD than the Audi and again, I prefer the steering and ride of the X3.

The ride. I was very impressed with the ride (haven't tried a car with sports suspension yet), but I thought it rode very well on quite hard swedish winter roads. I think that the Q5 with the S-line and sportsuspension is harder and does not ride the bumps quite as well.

Finally. Don't compare the new X3 with the old if you have. It's not comparable, and infact it was probably this image in my head that almost made me order the Q5 instead.

Other pros for the X3. The nav feels much nicer, the iDrive is now better than the MMI and it's also a much more pratical car. The Q5 can still beat it for looks from some angles, but the way the car is designed and the layout makes it much more practical and spacious. Especially if we're talking bout boot space and space in the backseat.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Awesome.

I have not yet had a chance to test the new X3 but only sat in it at the dealer. I'm not too thrilled with the rubberized interior though (currently have an E90 and 2010 A4 in the stable).

One thing I haven't been able to determine by looking at the material online .. is the idrive interface standard across all new X3s .. and you'd just have to pony up for a bigger screen + Nav?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
Inrex
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Awesome.

I have not yet had a chance to test the new X3 but only sat in it at the dealer. I'm not too thrilled with the rubberized interior though (currently have an E90 and 2010 A4 in the stable).

One thing I haven't been able to determine by looking at the material online .. is the idrive interface standard across all new X3s .. and you'd just have to pony up for a bigger screen + Nav?
In Sweden idrive is standard, think it is all over. For a big screen you have to pony up and go for the big navigation. If you get the nav go for the big nav cause you get som nice extra features included that you miss out with the small one +you get the black IMO ugly stripes on the sides of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:38 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
the new X3 hadn't really entered my mind. Hadn't seen one out, and I was basically at the Audi dealership to do a testdrive with a few options I was considering. However it was a bit crowded so I went across the street to kill some time. And there it was, the new X3.
Funny, I booked to test drive a Q5 and when I arrived they said the car wouldn't
be there that day (they didn't think to call me in advance). Annoyed, I went 1/2 mile away to the BMW dealership and I'm so glad that I did because the next day I placed my order for an X3.

@Filski - As you're right hand drive in Aus, you also get the offset pedal problem which is worse in the Q5 than the X3 IMO. I also thought the ride was too firm in the Audi, I didn't feel as comfortable generally, and the auto got it wrong quite a lot, e.g. put your foot down and you're left waiting for too long for it to kick in.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Inrex
Rep

And the black stripes make you wonder. Is there a big screen underneath if I take them of?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inrex View Post
And the black stripes make you wonder. Is there a big screen underneath if I take them of?

Get pro sat nav if you can. Makes a huge difference to the quality inside. Not just the main screen but the dash too

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks Sfax and inrex, very reassuring. I found the Q5 quite comfortable even on rougher surfaces so expect the X3 to be very smooth. Good feedback on the steering and the rest too.

As for the pro satnav... we'll see. I agree though that looks much nicer. I'd prefer to spend up to the 3.0D but the budget just isn't going to cover it.

On the offset pedals. To be honest the Q5 wasn't noticeable so expect it to be a non issue in the X3.

Now it's a case of waiting for a test drive. Lands on our shores around the 17th but may wait a couple of weeks for the rush to die down.
Appreciate 0