BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #23
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

BMWLVX do you think you could keep us up to date on this thread as regards the updates for settings from Race Chip. Also has your MPG changed much since you have fitted this and do you think its been worth it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #24
BMWLVX
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d

Will do Richy. I received new settings to try out. Haven't been driving it long enough so far to notice a difference in consumption.
As for being worth it: well for the price I paid (229€ inc UPS shipping to Europe countries) I guess it wasn't too much.

Last edited by BMWLVX; 07-26-2012 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

So I received the updated settings from RaceChip which were to adjust the RPM range when the power would kick in. The box has 2 dials so I just had to change the one on the right from E - 0 to E - 2. I have to say this made a big difference. Without the box I was feeling a bit of lag when I was in 4th gear, for example. With the box on default settings it was less but still noticeable. With the new settings the lag feels so insignificant. My consumption is still the same for the moment. So far, so good.

I doubt I'll tinker anymore with the settings as I'm fairly happy the way it's responding.
I'll report back in 6 months to post how the consumption is going.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #26
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

Sounds good, I was reading on the Race Chip website it increases the PS to about 228PS which is roughly about 225 BHP, not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWLVX View Post
So I received the updated settings from RaceChip which were to adjust the RPM range when the power would kick in. The box has 2 dials so I just had to change the one on the right from E - 0 to E - 2. I have to say this made a big difference. Without the box I was feeling a bit of lag when I was in 4th gear, for example. With the box on default settings it was less but still noticeable. With the new settings the lag feels so insignificant. My consumption is still the same for the moment. So far, so good.

I doubt I'll tinker anymore with the settings as I'm fairly happy the way it's responding.
Curious if the power tapping off at 70mph is still there
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #28
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Curious if the power tapping off at 70mph is still there
I couldn't help myself and had to have another tinker with the box. This time I bumped up the left dial one setting so now it's at F - 2. The difference wasn't huge but it was noticeable. I think it's kinda pointless for me to come on here and try to describe changes that have to be felt when driving. If you're interested in reducing any feeling of lag and getting some modest gains elsewhere for 229€ then buy one of the boxes and give it a go. But take the risks into consideration.

With regard the power tapping off at 70mph I'm not sure if I follow. If you mean if I feel any lag around 4th or 5th, then it's definitely not as apparent as stock. Best way for me to describe it… the new power settings give me more confidence pulling into the fast lane at 70mph and putting my foot down
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #29
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

Quote:

With the original or updated settings , have you noticed at any point any black smoke under full throttle ?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #30
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ural View Post
With the original or updated settings , have you noticed at any point any black smoke under full throttle ?
No black smoke. And I think if I ever see black smoke then it's my DPF that has gone bang.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Hi BMWLVX, i am actually looking into a race chip as well also for an x3 2.0d 2011. What was the specific reason for choosing race chip? Also can understand from your price, that you have chosen the Pro version and not their Ultimate version ? Know it is more expensive but also newer tech?
Rgds. Jens
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #32
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM
Hi BMWLVX, i am actually looking into a race chip as well also for an x3 2.0d 2011. What was the specific reason for choosing race chip? Also can understand from your price, that you have chosen the Pro version and not their Ultimate version ? Know it is more expensive but also newer tech?
Rgds. Jens
I think the ultimate has a few more connectors to hook up. I didn't really see where the extra 200€ was going so went with the Pro as its weather/water sealed.
      08-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #33
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
I think the ultimate has a few more connectors to hook up. I didn't really see where the extra 200€ was going so went with the Pro as its weather/water sealed.
Ok, I have difficult seeing as well - think I will give it a try

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #34
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Anyone else has experimented with these? Just curious, did some google-threading and found out how many options there were to "chip" the f25 2.0d, but haven't seen any discussion about it on the forum until I dug up this thread...

I'm a hacker at heart, this tickles the right place ;-)
      02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #35
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

I said I'd post back in 6 months to say how things were going. Well, I suppose you could say I chickened out really. I removed the box about a month later. I just had images of me being stuck at the side of the road trying to get this box out before some BMW service guy came I had one before in an Audi and it was a doddle to remove. Saying that, I still have it here in a box and I'm tempted to give it another go but the weather isn't permitting right now.
      03-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Hi All,

I thought after reading all thess comments above that I would see how difficult it would be to get to the common rail connector described here and remove it.

So I started and remembering what was said here, I removed all the parts in less that 10 mins. That for the first time! I think if I did it again it would take about 2-3 mins all in.

For those who are having problems locating with the connector. I have attached a couple of photos after removing the air filter and rubber moose thing. The RED circle shows the connector.

To remove the connector:
1. Push in the catch (nearest the cables) with your finger nail.
2. Then take a small flat blade (screw driver is ideal ) place this inbetween the connector and housing and gently twist the flat blade, this eases the connector off the housing unit. it came off really easily.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #37
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
So have you installed a chip, or was it a "dry run"? I'm still curious about the difference of performances -- oh and I'm a hacker, so what interests me even more is what's in these box :-)
      03-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #38
BMWLVX
Private
Rep

Not sure if this is permitted, but here it goes. I've got my RaceChip up for sale over in the classifieds forum
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818228
      03-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #39
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
So have you installed a chip, or was it a "dry run"? I'm still curious about the difference of performances -- oh and I'm a hacker, so what interests me even more is what's in these box :-)
No. It was just a dry run. To see how easy it would be if I was to go down that road.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #40
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nice thread revival batman!

Finally got one of these boxes; a 'medium price one' -- it's hard to know exactly what is the difference between all of them (if at all). I took the box apart to check what's in there, and yes there is indeed some active components, a PIC uC etc -- wether it /does/ anything is not clear.

Anyway, I've installed it, the instructions and the pic of @slyfox are pretty much enough.

Short test drive okay. I'm out for a long drive tonight, I'll see if it makes any difference, both on power and fuel consumption.
      11-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #41
freebiker
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25, 996, 911

Hi race chip Drivers out there

What about your experiences? I have just installed a Race Chip Pro 2 and made a short test drive. I think there is more power. I have the "Sportanzeigen" activeted (esys) with PS and torque and the torque goes up faster then before. I will do some testing and maybe also fine Tuning. The position of the switches are "E0".

Would be nice reading something about your experiences too.

Cheers, Freebiker
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #42
EspressoM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT; F25 X3 2.0D

RaceChip

Any news after a few weeks with the RaceChip Pro2 on your X3 2.0D Freebiker?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:21 PM   #43
freebiker
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25, 996, 911

ciao Espresso M3

Not yet - because of the weather in Switzerland.
Wintertime, cold, wet, snowing...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #44
EspressoM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT; F25 X3 2.0D

Racechip

Thanks Freebiker...I see its going to be a couple of months before we get an update....and before you can get the P cars out for a spin.
Appreciate 0