BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
KB29R
Rep
Drives: X35D

no oil after BMW Service

I own an X35d and took it to a main dealer for its first service - when I got it home to my horror I realised that there was a smigen of oil in it alerting me to pull over and put oil in it

Is there a possibility the engine has been put under stress driving 20 miles without sufficient oil in it - to say that I'm slightly p****d off is an understatement

Ken
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB29R View Post
I own an X35d and took it to a main dealer for its first service - when I got it home to my horror I realised that there was a smigen of oil in it alerting me to pull over and put oil in it

Is there a possibility the engine has been put under stress driving 20 miles without sufficient oil in it - to say that I'm slightly p****d off is an understatement

Ken
It depends.... on answers to factors like, is the sump empty? Or are you simply requiring a top up? Was it not topped off properly, or has it lost oil on your trip home?

I'd suggest if the sump was empty, you'd have had immediate warnings, oil pressure would be compromised.

Let's hope it is simply an error, (still not good enough from a BMW dealer), like filling with 2.0d oil volume, rather than 35d oil capacity.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
KB29R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It depends.... on answers to factors like, is the sump empty? Or are you simply requiring a top up? Was it not topped off properly, or has it lost oil on your trip home?

I'd suggest if the sump was empty, you'd have had immediate warnings, oil pressure would be compromised.

Let's hope it is simply an error, (still not good enough from a BMW dealer), like filling with 2.0d oil volume, rather than 35d oil capacity.
It was its first service at 13000 miles - from the gauge on the dash it was very low telling me to pull over and put some oil in it as its below minimum

The oil was simply not topped up at the Main Dealer - the job was not done - not even checked - I find it totally unacceptable and will be sitting down with the MD on Monday
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
It was its first service at 13000 miles - from the gauge on the dash it was very low telling me to pull over and put some oil in it as its below minimum

The oil was simply not topped up at the Main Dealer - the job was not done - not even checked - I find it totally unacceptable and will be sitting down with the MD on Monday
If you have been driving 20 miles and the display ask you to top off the oil at the end of the trip and your oil pressure is ok, it probably just a half of quart low, I would not make a big deal out of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
My understanding it that it may be better for your engine to be a quart low than to have the oil overfilled by a similar amount. For the dealer to not top up the oil properly is not acceptable, but it could be worse.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...th-Oil-hurt-it
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #6
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

It sounds like a genuine mistake, even BMW Tech can make them, not good but I doubt any damage was done. Im sure the dealer will ensure you are well compensated for your trouble and inconvenience.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #7
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Which dealer did you use? I have mine booked in with the one in the centre of brum in a weeks time...
      03-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #8
KB29R
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you have been driving 20 miles and the display ask you to top off the oil at the end of the trip and your oil pressure is ok, it probably just a half of quart low, I would not make a big deal out of it.
Big Deal? are you serious? what is a quart low?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Which dealer did you use? I have mine booked in with the one in the centre of brum in a weeks time...
Its not the Centre one - but if I was you I would ensure that they put some oil in it..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Big Deal? are you serious? what is a quart low?
Yes, I am serious, just top it off and be on your way. Life is too short to have a heart attack over small things like this. You do realized that your car holds 7 quart of oil, half of quart low is not a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #10
KB29R
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I am serious, just top it off and be on your way. Life is too short to have a heart attack over small things like this. You do realized that your car holds 7 quart of oil, half of quart low is not a big deal.
I admire the nonchalance - you must be a retailers dream when things go wrong, although you have your facts wrong in regards to the amount of oil that was in there

For me, the fact that a main BMW dealer sent me off after its initial service with below minimum oil levels is something I will not ignore - it also seems by the tone of the Managing Director of the group that it is absolutely unforgivable that a customer whom invested £50,000 of his hard earned cash to the dealership to be treated in this way

I fully accept mistakes can happen - as long as its fairly compensated

No heart attack here - just simply ensuring that the mistake is rectified and will never repeat itself ever again
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I admire the nonchalance - you must be a retailers dream when things go wrong, although you have your facts wrong in regards to the amount of oil that was in there

For me, the fact that a main BMW dealer sent me off after its initial service with below minimum oil levels is something I will not ignore - it also seems by the tone of the Managing Director of the group that it is absolutely unforgivable that a customer whom invested £50,000 of his hard earned cash to the dealership to be treated in this way

I fully accept mistakes can happen - as long as its fairly compensated

No heart attack here - just simply ensuring that the mistake is rectified and will never repeat itself ever again
So why don't you enlighten us, how much oil were you low? And what kind of compensation would you like for a quart of oil? If I am a retailer's dream, you must be their nightmare
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #12
KB29R
Rep

Quote:
So why don't you enlighten us, how much oil were you low? And what kind of compensation would you like for a quart of oil? If I am a retailer's dream, you must be their nightmare
It seems as though you have that 'quart of oil' stuck in your brain for some reason - you need to erase it somehow if you can

When I went into the display gauge menu it barely registered that there was anything in it - just registering on the display

nightmare! - their worst ever
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Calm down a bit.

He was just trying to reassure you that if you drove home and then the light came on it was just slightly low on oil and no damage could have been done at all.

You do know what a quart is yeah?
A quarter of a gallon, a US gallon at that.
So it means you are around 400ml low, if it came on when you got home.

The difference between min and max is 500ml from memory.

It happened to me on my E350 and on my 335i after a service.
They used to tell you to check the oil level after a few miles and leave a litre in the boot.

Sit down with MD on Monday.
Brilliant, that tickled me.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It seems as though you have that 'quart of oil' stuck in your brain for some reason - you need to erase it somehow if you can

When I went into the display gauge menu it barely registered that there was anything in it - just registering on the display

nightmare! - their worst ever
I had the low oil warning a few times, when the idrive oil level display goes below minimum, it is only 1/2 quart to 1 quart low. If your oil level is dangerously low, you would have a low oil pressure warning and the engine management system would have put the car in limp mode.
Appreciate 0