BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F25 2.8 D

Transfer US to EU Tail light F 25 2015

Hello friends.

I have recently owned a BMW X3 F25 2.8D. As you know, the laws in both countries are different regarding the movement and color of the turn signals.
Since the car from Canada and America has red taillights, they should turn orange amber.
I've looked at a lot of topics, and some have achieved this success, others complain that they can't. My call for help is as follows. Do you have variants of specific bulbs for the rear turn signals so that they can turn orange without changing the entire stop light.
From what I know is an option to put an LED bulb and add a resistor (resistor) to receive the rest of the signal and power from the computer. I know that the resistors must be placed as they will generate heat in a metal place in the car which would not be a problem to heat.
Another question I want to ask is how do I transfer a card from America (and Canada) to a European one.
Thanks !
      09-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I've never added resistors to fool the computer to think the bulb is not out when installing LEDs, I simply code the computer to not check the LED and IS_LED.

Can't help with making the tail turns lights orange. I'd think, you'd either need an orange lens or clear lens with orange bulb. Are you sure you even need orange tail turns?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I've never added resistors to fool the computer to think the bulb is not out when installing LEDs, I simply code the computer to not check the LED and IS_LED.

Can't help with making the tail turns lights orange. I'd think, you'd either need an orange lens or clear lens with orange bulb. Are you sure you even need orange tail turns?
Yes, i need it , because the car will be not allowed for driving in Bulgaria.
About the resistors i think is the better way because they generate about 19-20 w. wich computer send to the new led bulb. Now the original are not led. What will happen if we code the computer ? I think will heat the led , not the resistor ?
      09-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
to get amber rear turn signals on a North American spec F25, the only option is to replace the whole assembly. Once you have the new assembly in place, yes you can use LEDs but likely will have to code so that you dont get error messages.

here is a pair for sale on ebay, but likely cheaper for you to find some for sale in Europe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Brand-F...n/183184235065
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippen View Post
Yes, i need it , because the car will be not allowed for driving in Bulgaria.
About the resistors i think is the better way because they generate about 19-20 w. wich computer send to the new led bulb. Now the original are not led. What will happen if we code the computer ? I think will heat the led , not the resistor ?

Coding will not heat the led. The led has a driver circuit inside that will send the correct amount of power to the LED. You code the computer to tell it there is an led and not to check if the bulb failed like halogens. You're welcome to use resistors if think they're better, but I've never used them since there's no need to if coded correctly.

Even with orange leds, the light output will not be orange since the red lens will change the orange color led back to redish.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:09 AM   #6
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Coding will not heat the led. The led has a driver circuit inside that will send the correct amount of power to the LED. You code the computer to tell it there is an led and not to check if the bulb failed like halogens. You're welcome to use resistors if think they're better, but I've never used them since there's no need to if coded correctly.

Even with orange leds, the light output will not be orange since the red lens will change the orange color led back to redish.
Thank u very much for the perfect explain. I have found some theme wich one other user have good option.

Take a look - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764176

About the other answer up, we have more cheap here in Bul, yes !
      09-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
e30lover318i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30,E34T,E46,F48

What about orange laminX on the exterior of the lens ?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 01:10 AM   #8
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30lover318i View Post
What about orange laminX on the exterior of the lens ?
I think will be not good. I think with good led in amber color will be enought, but just wanted to ask the people here how is the way to do it. WIth Resistor or code with program. Because i think when code it will send again 21 w to the led wich need 1-2 w
      09-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippen View Post
I think will be not good. I think with good led in amber color will be enought, but just wanted to ask the people here how is the way to do it. WIth Resistor or code with program. Because i think when code it will send again 21 w to the led wich need 1-2 w
The lights don't work what way. Reread my post #5.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 09:41 AM   #10
chippen
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
The lights don't work what way. Reread my post #5.
Yes, I read your post and I'm grateful for that, but that's why I posted a link from the other topic, in which he explains how the man did with him, his blue X3. This would make it even easier to just put a light bulb on and stop the diagnostics from just looking for it. I found 50 watts of osram bulbs that consume about 3-5 watts. I think this will be the strongest possible to make the color from red to orange.

Even the simplest program like a beam Code would work, I guess ?
      10-05-2020, 02:47 AM   #11
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Replace the entire assembly with an European one. That's it.
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #12
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

You can put whatever color you want back there but nothing will filter out the light to make it look orange from outside. You have a slight chance with a green bulb, but it will not be as bright as you need it. MSport_Jon is right, just swap the outers with euro versions from a breakers yard. Job done.