BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #89
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
What's the best product to use when cleaning the dashboard and other parts in the car (not leather seats, of course) - but the the black area near the windshield and the area that houses the odometer etc?
+1

I'm really curious what MA78 uses. Specifically if he uses the Einszett cockpit premium cleaner on and what surfaces.

Last edited by 509trooper; 06-26-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #90
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

I purchased this from the dealer when I bought the car - how good/safe is this to use on the dashboard per say? Also what other places inside can I use this on, if it's good? The plastic door panels (where the compartments are?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #91
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt2 View Post
Lots of good information here. I've enriched Autogeek and Griot a bit based on some reading here.

I'm surprised that there is no mention of water filtration though.

I started using one of these a few years ago and it was a total game-changer for my wash process.

I don't have to rush to dry the car with one of these as I did before. Absolutely no spotting. In fact, I can even skip the dry altogether if I'm in a hurry. Very highly recommended.
I’ve been thinking about getting the water softener.
How long does the filter cartage last?
Replacements are very pricy (approx $100)
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #92
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
You're right - the cartridge is most of the cost. The rest of the "kit" is just the fittings for the hose.

I'm on about 18 months on my current one, and it is just about finished. It changes color gradually from one end to the other as it gets used up.

They have another, more expensive kit with replacable filter media that would be a better investment in the long run I'd wager.

Worth noting is that I could easily extend that quite a bit, as I have the filter at the valve end of a long hose and hook up the filter right when I start, and flush the unfiltered water out while filling up the wash bucket and doing the initial rinse-off of the car before the wash.

If you were concerned about filter life there really isn't a need to do that - you could put the filter on the end of the hose, and use a short secton of hose after that just for the final rinse.

Frankly though, after using one for a while, I just can't fathom spending all the bucks on the chemicals, brushes, microfiber this and that and NOT using one of these.

Get one, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #93
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
How long it will last and how effective it will be will depend on how much Ca and/or Mg is your water. The fact that jt2 can go without drying probably means that his water is not that "hard". Your results maybe different with Chicago water, especially if your water source is ground water.

Again, if you already have a soft water system for the house hookup to that.

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-26-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #94
flash3
Captain
Rep

I've seen some of you mention products by Mothers and came across this in the store today. How good is it? How do you best apply it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #95
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
How long it will last and how effective it will be will depend on how much Ca and/or Mg is your water. The fact that jt2 can go without drying probably means that his water is not that "hard". Your results maybe different with Chicago water, especially if your water source is ground water.

Again, if you already have a soft water system for the house hookup to that.
you are correct in that I should have mentioned that how hard your water is will affect how long the filter will last. But it still should work for just about anyone.

I actually do have moderately hard water, and it will spot quite badly without the filter. With it, not one bit.

I'd wager the effect would be the same regardless of the mineral content of your water in most cases, with the only variable being how long the filter will last.

Griot's has a 100% guarantee, so actually I guess it is them making the wagering here.

I can understand the skepticism - I was a bit doubtful myself at first...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:02 PM   #96
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you are correct in that I should have mentioned that how hard your water is will affect how long the filter will last. But it still should work for just about anyone.

I actually do have moderately hard water, and it will spot quite badly without the filter. With it, not one bit.

I'd wager the effect would be the same regardless of the mineral content of your water in most cases, with the only variable being how long the filter will last.

Griot's has a 100% guarantee, so actually I guess it is them making the wagering here.

Since I never use the product, I'm not skeptical on it and in fact have commented on using "soft water". I believe you when you tell me that it works. I'm just pointing out that it's effectiveness could be dependent on different factors. I've never met a place in CA that didn't have some hard water. In fact for Harplayer it could work even more effectively if he gets his water from Lake Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #97
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your experience with this.
I’ll order it and give it a try. I know Girot’s has a great reputation.

The water spots always drive me nuts, and I always end up going over the car with detailer's spray to get rid of them. This hopefully will save me some time.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #98
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've seen some of you mention products by Mothers and came across this in the store today. How good is it? How do you best apply it?
Ok flash3, we're going to start looking for your picture on the "People Who Shop At Walmart". Do you know that you are making a lot of the BMW enthusiast have heart palpitations?

What Ledzep wrote previously about people and their cleaning product is very true. That said, most of your main stream products are going to do the job, but people are going to have different opinions on how well they work and not many of these opinions are based on empirical evidence. How well they do work could be the result of different factors. A couple of years ago a test was done on paste wax; including many of the high end waxes. Believe or not Turtle Wax won! What I would suggest with these products that you can easily and cheaply buy at brick and mortar stores; is try them out for yourself. If you don't like the results try something else. For application I would first follow the manufactures directions.

I use a spray wax after washing on the pillars between the windows that you asked about earlier and any blemishes that I see.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #99
flash3
Captain
Rep

Lol! I went to get groceries and decided to stop over in the car care section
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #100
newX3owner
Rep
Drives: X3

hmm if i got roadkill splatter over my car (from 2 freeway lanes over!!!), how soon should i get them off? and whats the best way?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 12:38 PM   #101
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newX3owner View Post
hmm if i got roadkill splatter over my car (from 2 freeway lanes over!!!), how soon should i get them off? and whats the best way?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #102
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newX3owner View Post
Add sea salt to taste, use a plastic spatula to remove after browning both sides, add ketchup.

Plastic spatulas are on aisle 9 at Walmart, ketchup aisle 3 in the grocery section.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #103
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Add sea salt to taste, use a plastic spatula to remove after browning both sides, add ketchup.

Plastic spatulas are on aisle 9 at Walmart, ketchup aisle 3 in the grocery section.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 01:57 PM   #104
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Just Kidding....All the in the world.

Just couldn't help myself!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #105
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I purchased this from the dealer when I bought the car - how good/safe is this to use on the dashboard per say? Also what other places inside can I use this on, if it's good? The plastic door panels (where the compartments are?)
Did some digging into online and it seems that there's an interior care solution that BMW uses and this would not be recommended for dashboards and such.

Anyone use the BMW Interior Care Stuff?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #106
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just Kidding....All the in the world.

Just couldn't help myself!!!
- I was just having some fun too lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #107
flash3
Captain
Rep

Guys,

Looking for an easy spray wax (that has all the essentials) to use after washing my car - I saw this listed on another thread here somewhere, as I have it saved in my favorites.

Anyone have any feedback on this?

http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-sou...spray-wax.html
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #108
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Most spray waxes are similar, you just need to be sure they don't contain chemicals that could harm your paint over time or remove the "real" wax....

I have been using Griot's Spray Wax for several years. A mist of the spray wax when drying the car really helps get it dry fast, reduces water spots, and gives you a nice gloss.

But I don't recommend this in place of proper waxing/sealing... but still better than nothing.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:56 PM   #109
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Is spray wax just another name for detailing spray?
      06-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #110
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Most spray waxes are similar, you just need to be sure they don't contain chemicals that could harm your paint over time or remove the "real" wax....

I have been using Griot's Spray Wax for several years. A mist of the spray wax when drying the car really helps get it dry fast, reduces water spots, and gives you a nice gloss.

But I don't recommend this in place of proper waxing/sealing... but still better than nothing.
Yeah, most are but seemingly the Meguiars spray ones, like the ultimate quik spray, doesn't contain 'wax' - but this one does.

I ordered a bottle today and will test it out this weekend.
Appreciate 0