BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Driving with no key

My wife managed to drive away with no key today, her brother by accident left the keys in his pocket after dropping him she took off to a location about 5miles away, when she realized she called him as she was worried the car will just stop, so she parked the car at her destination, and switched the engine off, thinking the car will not start again, but to our 2nd shock she was able to start the engine again with the key some 5 miles away.

Any of you folks experienced same none sense, of course the car is going to the dealer, this is not the case with my 5 series F10.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

How long did she wait between turning it off and back on? When I had my E90, you could turn the car off, remove the key and start it within 10 seconds or so without the key. After about 10 seconds, though, the car would not start.

This could be the case your wife experienced or she has the second key fob in her purse and doesn't realize it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

I believe there is some delay should the key not be in range, but it seems suspect to me that BMW Assist is not called if the key is not in range for an extended period of time.

BMW Assist should receive a notification, call via the SOS receiver, and ask the driver to pull over and confirm (with some specific questions) that he or she is the primary or secondary licensee of the vehicle. If the driver is not able to answer these questions, the car should be reported as stolen by BMW Assist, also barring the driver from restarting the engine. The gas cap should lock up regardless of the door lock position so it cannot be refueled even while running. Auto-hold should automatically activate and not respond to throttle input once the car has been stationary for over sixty seconds.

It would be really cool if the gas pedal and the steering wheel automatically folded away in this instance.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
she has the second key fob in her purse and doesn't realize it.
When my X3 is parked with the engine running, and I get out with the key fob in my pocket, there's an immediate message popup on the iDrive screen. I don't know if the same message pops up if my X3 is in gear. It's unlikely that she would have missed the message.

I too wonder if the second key fob was in her purse. If not, then something is wrong and a trip to the dealer is called for.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Mine definitely displays a "key not present" message and prevents restart but she may have only stopped on an auto stop/start. The ignition needs to be switched off

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
BMW Assist should receive a notification, call via the SOS receiver, and ask the driver to pull over and confirm (with some specific questions) that he or she is the primary or secondary licensee of the vehicle. If the driver is not able to answer these questions, the car should be reported as stolen by BMW Assist, also barring the driver from restarting the engine. The gas cap should lock up regardless of the door lock position so it cannot be refueled even while running. Auto-hold should automatically activate and not respond to throttle input once the car has been stationary for over sixty seconds.
This is nice in theory but couldn't be further from reality. BMW have the ability to find your car if stolen using the in-built SIM and GPS (potentially) but they will do nothing to help you if you car is stolen.

They cite legal reasons for this but I suspect they'd sooner not tread on the toes of the companies that sell trackers and would also have no issue with you buying a new one after an insurance claim. Refer to the recent media reports on just how it easy it was steal the last generation of BMWs

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
This is nice in theory but couldn't be further from reality. BMW have the ability to find your car if stolen using the in-built SIM and GPS (potentially) but they will do nothing to help you if you car is stolen.

They cite legal reasons for this but I suspect they'd sooner not tread on the toes of the companies that sell trackers and would also have no issue with you buying a new one after an insurance claim. Refer to the recent media reports on just how it easy it was steal the last generation of BMWs
Obviously only in theory
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

This must depend on where you live. In the USA, BMW clearly list stolen vehicle recovery as one of the services provided with BMW assist. But you need to file a police report before you call them.

It's even listed in the FAQ section on BMW USA's site. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...AssistFAQ.aspx
      04-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your feedbacks, we are familiar with the system due to my 5 series F10 with the exact same setup as the X3, when my wife reached her destination and realised the key was missing, while waiting for her brother to drop off the key she tried to see if she can drive off again, i.e. testing the system, so after a complete stop (Not stop/start scenario), she purposely drove some 50 meters, the message about the key not being around did come up, in this case but never the less she managed to pull away for around 50 meters, so warning was on 2nd time around but was able to drive away. She thought the first time was down to never switching the engine off.

We both updated our car software back in December following the UK news about BMW's being stolen, we went for the full software upgrade at the dealer, even after being told by BMW UK & Ireland the F models are not an issue.

I be testing my one and the X3 again as well as contacting the Dealer, and keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
When my X3 is parked with the engine running, and I get out with the key fob in my pocket, there's an immediate message popup on the iDrive screen. I don't know if the same message pops up if my X3 is in gear. It's unlikely that she would have missed the message.

I too wonder if the second key fob was in her purse. If not, then something is wrong and a trip to the dealer is called for.
The 2nd key is definitely not with her as I have in store with my one for the very reason that we lose one we know the a spare is at home. she got the message only after she switched the engine off and on again, yet managed to drive around the block with no issues.
I am testing both cars this weekend as we are familiar with the warning message but not sure about driving away how long before the car is supposed to stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I think I will do some testing and see if I can do the same. Wouldn't surprise me if there is another flaw in the beleaguered BMW security

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

Why BMW will not help- you suspect your partner is having an affair, but where are they. Lets call BMW Assist!!
I presume in the UK, they would have to help locate your vehicle if the police formally requested, but not before.
BTW- my X3 immediately says no key present (Pro-Nav). The other day I got out of the car at home, ready for my wife to drive off on another appointment. She beeped the horn straight away- 'Can I have the key'..... 'Oh yes :-)', removed key from jacket pocket and handed over.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I presume in the UK, they would have to help locate your vehicle if the police formally requested, but not before.
I was told by BMW UK that they categorically couldn't do it.

I don't believe them as it happens but the reason I know their stance is that I once left my keys on an airport bus, didn't realise until I landed in another country and wanted to see if the car was still there (it was taking a while for the airport to locate it). I asked the hypothetical question "but what if I reported it stolen to the police" and that answer was still no - not possible to get the car's location.

Technically it's obviously possible (probably also when the car is in motion) but they have a policy of not disclosing

Last edited by sfax; 04-12-2013 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If you do not have the keys, after you put the car in park and open the door, the engine will shut off.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I think there must be some security measure trying really, really hard not to turn the engine off and shut the car if there is a remote chance of it happening for the owner of the car.. ie key battery running out, and that sort of things...

So perhaps it knows the car hasn't been "parked" and the original driver is still around.. ? that what I would try to aim for if I was writing software at BMW ;-)
      04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Mine is ridiculously sensitive. As in, if it isnt INSIDE the car, it cuts off. Annoying actually, with MB I can forget something in the house, run inside with the keys, come back out hop in and drive away.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I have had certain instances where it is really sensitive and once you leave the car the engine shuts off if the key is not in the car but once or twice the engine will keep running.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #18
daninny
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you do not have the keys, after you put the car in park and open the door, the engine will shut off.
That too is my experience. Whenever I stop to fill up with gas, I notice that I have to restart the car.

Also, regarding locating the vehicle. Forget about BMW assist - use the iPhone BMW app. This works pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninny View Post
That too is my experience. Whenever I stop to fill up with gas, I notice that I have to restart the car.

Also, regarding locating the vehicle. Forget about BMW assist - use the iPhone BMW app. This works pretty well.
You leave your engine running while fueling?
      04-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninny View Post
This is restricted to 1.5km/2km (I forget) and also doesn't work if the ignition is on and that's my point (above). BMW will not remove these restrictions even if your car is stolen, and yet the car has to broadcast its location in order for the app to know that it's more than 1.5m away, and at that point, BMW know where your car is - they just won't tell you.

You can't use BMW assist GPS unless you are in the car and press the SOS button but that obviously defeats the object of finding your car

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Mine is ridiculously sensitive. As in, if it isnt INSIDE the car, it cuts off. Annoying actually, with MB I can forget something in the house, run inside with the keys, come back out hop in and drive away.
Is this with comfort access? I'm pretty sure my engine keeps running as I often switch it on in the winter, remove the key and it's still running. Can't remember it ever shutting off.

On the able to restart thing, on mine it's only ever possible to start the engine without the key if you don't completely switch off the ignition (and by that I mean press the Stop/Start button twice, once for the engine, once for iDrive to switch off). If you press it twice, you always need a key present to restart

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #22
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Likewise, I had the car running, unlocked with me 10 or 20m away from it has it was warming up a couple of times...